x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
2obobo3b3o2b2o$4bob2obobo2b2o$b3o2bo2bob4o$bobobob2obob4o$8b2o$b2obo4b
ob4o$2bob4obobobo$bo12bo$bo2bo3b3o2b3o$2obo2bobob3ob2o$ob2o4b2o4bo$obo
b2obo2bob2o$ob3ob2ob5obo$7bo2b2obo$o2b2ob6o2b2o$2bo2bo2bob2o2b2o!
It's currently in quarantine because apgsearch classified it as 'PATHOLOGICAL' due to its high period. I'll implement a way of editing the contents of the haul to make it say something more appropriate such as yl4608_2015_11_28 before letting it into the census.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
2obobo3b3o2b2o$4bob2obobo2b2o$b3o2bo2bob4o$bobobob2obob4o$8b2o$b2obo4b
ob4o$2bob4obobobo$bo12bo$bo2bo3b3o2b3o$2obo2bobob3ob2o$ob2o4b2o4bo$obo
b2obo2bob2o$ob3ob2ob5obo$7bo2b2obo$o2b2ob6o2b2o$2bo2bo2bob2o2b2o!
It's currently in quarantine because apgsearch classified it as 'PATHOLOGICAL' due to its high period. I'll implement a way of editing the contents of the haul to make it say something more appropriate such as yl4608_2015_11_28 before letting it into the census.
o_0 that's huge! The whole hex notation for linear growth is confsing, maybe you should use timestamps instead?
Why did it get classified as pathological? What is the largest period that can be recognized by linearlyse()?
danieldb wrote:The whole hex notation for linear growth is confsing, maybe you should use timestamps instead?
The current notation has the advantage that a linear growth pattern always gets the same apgcode, regardless of when it's discovered. According to the documentation of apgsearch, the three numbers are the period of the population, the period of the increase/decrease in population, and the first "moment" of the pattern, followed by the md5 hash of the second and third moments, separated by a #. I haven't really worked out what all this means though.
gameoflifeboy wrote:Why did it get classified as pathological? What is the largest period that can be recognized by linearlyse()?
danieldb wrote:The whole hex notation for linear growth is confsing, maybe you should use timestamps instead?
The current notation has the advantage that a linear growth pattern always gets the same apgcode, regardless of when it's discovered. According to the documentation of apgsearch, the three numbers are the period of the population, the period of the increase/decrease in population, and the first "moment" of the pattern, followed by the md5 hash of the second and third moments, separated by a #. I haven't really worked out what all this means though.
Not all still lifes are credited as discoveries; there's simply too many. There is significant overlap between those population counts where most still lifes haven't been found yet (higher) and those where new discoveries are commonplace (generally lower).
Put another way, a new xs26 isn't all that remarkable. There's, oh, perhaps 25 million possible ones, and a four-digit number of them have already turned up naturally.
I don't know what the rules are for "remarkable" still lifes; Calcyman may be able to tell you.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb
Not all still lifes are credited as discoveries; there's simply too many. There is significant overlap between those population counts where most still lifes haven't been found yet (higher) and those where new discoveries are commonplace (generally lower).
Put another way, a new xs26 isn't all that remarkable. There's, oh, perhaps 25 million possible ones, and a four-digit number of them have already turned up naturally.
I don't know what the rules are for "remarkable" still lifes; Calcyman may be able to tell you.
I... Never mind. That wasn't my question. It was my first natural discovery and I was wondering why it hadn't appeared on my user page for catagolue. Anyways, now it has, and I hope this doesn't start any arguments
x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
bo5bo2b2obo$o3bo3b3ob2o$b3ob2ob4o2bo$2obob4o3bob2o$3bob3ob2ob2o$bobobo
3b2o2bobo$2o3bo3b4o2bo$obo5bo2b2o$bo6bobo$2o3b2o2bo3b3o$2bo2bob6ob2o$b
3o2bob8o$2b2o4b3obob2o$bobob5o2b2o$4obo2bobo$bo3bo3b2ob2obo!
danieldb wrote:Also, why are some soup types (8x32, 25%, 75%, 25pct, 75pct, etc.) not appear in the symmetry select?
25% and 75% never worked, because of the percent sign in the URL. 25pct and 75pct never took off, and apgsearch v1.1 doesn't even support them. However, I see no reason 8x32 shouldn't be added to the list of available "symmetries".
towerator wrote:I'm surprized no one commented this
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned briefly months ago, but I think the consensus is that the GGG (or maybe even the 3 QB pseudo-GGG) is more likely than that one to occur in an asymmetric soup.
About adding it to the wiki: I think there was some mention of doing so the last time it was brought up, but I don't remember what the decision and reasons were. The gun in p156 oscillator form is mentioned in one line on the wiki, as an unnamed oscillator listed in a smallest oscillators per period list. The mention is a red link, so the wiki isn't very enlightening there...
Last edited by Sphenocorona on November 30th, 2015, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catagolue link: https://catagolue.appspot.com/object/yl ... 9035/b3s23
Hmm. It was known before soup searching, (by randomagar) And it popped out from apgsearch once before Catagolue, but I'm also surprised that nobody noticed this till 76 occurrences, after Catagolue.
I'm not sure if this yields a new category. How would it be categorized? Natural? Maybe simkin's gun could be found in random ash.
EDIT: Saka: A related osc is already sort of in the wiki, although the page is deleted of spam. See 60P312. I'm not sure if this gun is the smallest.
I'm pretty sure this gun is already in the gun collection (for p156).
Sphenocorona wrote:I'm pretty sure it was mentioned briefly months ago, but I think the consensus is that the GGG (or maybe even the 3 QB pseudo-GGG) is more likely than that one to occur in an asymmetric soup.
Or maybe the similarly-Blockic Simkin gun, for that matter.
"What's purple and commutes?
The Evanston Express."
#C soup producing a (known) p156 multi-glider shotgun,
#C found by Dongook Lee, 9 January 2015
#C http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1452&start=200#p15913
x = 32, y = 32, rule = B3/S23
2o2bo2b3o7b3obobo2bo3b2o$2ob2o2b2o2b3o4b11ob2o$10bo2bo3b4o2b3o2bo$bob
4obobob3o2bobobob2ob5o$2ob3o4bo3bob2ob4o2b4obo$3b2ob2obo2b3ob3o2bo2bo
2b2ob2o$3bob2ob2obo8bo2b3obob2o$2o3bo2b2o3b3o9b2ob3o$2obo2b7o2b3ob5obo
2b4o$o4b4o2bob2obo2b2o2bo3bo2bo$2b3o3bobo3bobob2obobo2b3ob2o$bo4bob2ob
2o3bob3ob2obobob2o$bobobo2bo2bobo2bo3b4o3b5o$b3obobobo2b2o2bobob2o4bo
2b3o$3b3obob2o3b4o5bo2b4obo$7b2o5b10o2b2o$4b2o2b10o5b2o$ob4o2bo5b4o3b
2obob3o$3o2bo4b2obobo2b2o2bobobob3o$5o3b4o3bo2bobo2bo2bobobo$b2obobob
2ob3obo3b2ob2obo4bo$2ob3o2bobob2obobo3bobo3b3o$bo2bo3bo2b2o2bob2obo2b
4o4bo$4o2bob5ob3o2b7o2bob2o$b3ob2o9b3o3b2o2bo3b2o$b2obob3o2bo8bob2ob2o
bo$2ob2o2bo2bo2b3ob3o2bob2ob2o$bob4o2b4ob2obo3bo4b3ob2o$b5ob2obobobo2b
3obobob4obo$3bo2b3o2b4o3bo2bo$2ob11o4b3o2b2o2b2ob2o$2o3bo2bobob3o7b3o
2bo2b2o!
As for natural guns in b3s23/C1, I think both the Gosper glider gun and Simkin's glider gun could plausibly appear before the 10^15 object mark. Of course, we're only 3% of the way towards this target (at 30 * 10^12 objects), so we need either much higher engagement, GPU computing, or lots more time before we realise this goal.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
#C soup producing a (known) p156 multi-glider shotgun,
#C found by Dongook Lee, 9 January 2015
#C http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1452&start=200#p15913
#C Hehehehehehe that's me:)
Should have been clearer. Yep, that was found by apgsearch but prior to Catagolue. I just expected that on it's first occurrence on Catagolue, somebody would say "Hey now it's on Catagolue too!", and was slightly surprised that the gun was kinda forgotton for 76 soups.
x = 38, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
8b3o20b2ob2o$7bo3bo18b2o3b2o$7b2ob2o17b2o5b2o$8b3o2$31b5o$31bo3bo$bo
15bo13b5o$3o13b3o!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)
The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
x = 38, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
8b3o20b2ob2o$7bo3bo18b2o3b2o$7b2ob2o17b2o5b2o$8b3o2$31b5o$31bo3bo$bo
15bo13b5o$3o13b3o!
Here is a pretty gruesome 25-glider synthesis. The block and blinker insertions are particularly hideous. I am sure it can be done much more cheaply (probably around 9 gliders), by making two LOMs and a pulsar in close proximity, but I couldn't find a combination that worked.
Here is a pretty gruesome 25-glider synthesis. The block and blinker insertions are particularly hideous. I am sure it can be done much more cheaply (probably around 9 gliders), by making two LOMs and a pulsar in close proximity, but I couldn't find a combination that worked.
x = 77, y = 58, rule = B3/S23
18bo$19b2o$18b2o6$26bo$24bobo$25b2o$32bo$30bobo$31b2o2$45bo$45bobo$45b
2o2$obo71bobo$b2o71b2o$bo73bo2$16bo43bo$17b2o39b2o$16b2o41b2o5$27bo$
25bobo$26b2o6$45b2o$45bobo$45bo2$31b2o$30bobo$32bo4$48bo$47b2o$47bobo
2$13b3o45b3o$15bo45bo$14bo47bo$49bo$48b2o$48bobo!
Because there's so much room with this method, there's probably a lot of room for improvement (reducing the 8 glider (!) setup of the dentral pattern to something more reasonable like 3 gliders).