Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Split from miscellaneous posts and discussions. --hotdogPi
Can someone code these because idk how to
1. CompoundSearch:
-combines components together to create reflectors and other stuff
-can be a CAD
2. WeldSearch:
-CompoundSearch but it is different so it can discover welds to make new components
3. Features
-Can be implemented across many different rules
-Immersion: CompoundSearch can immerse in some components speeding up discovery
-CompoundSearch can rotate, flip, and copy-paste components
4. Connections
-apgluxe creates components
-they all work together
Can someone code these because idk how to
1. CompoundSearch:
-combines components together to create reflectors and other stuff
-can be a CAD
2. WeldSearch:
-CompoundSearch but it is different so it can discover welds to make new components
3. Features
-Can be implemented across many different rules
-Immersion: CompoundSearch can immerse in some components speeding up discovery
-CompoundSearch can rotate, flip, and copy-paste components
4. Connections
-apgluxe creates components
-they all work together
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Barrister.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 1. CompoundSearch:
-combines components together to create reflectors and other stuff
-can be a CAD
Rlifesrc.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 2. WeldSearch:
-CompoundSearch but it is different so it can discover welds to make new components
LifeViewer.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 3. Features
-Can be implemented across many different rules
-Immersion: CompoundSearch can immerse in some components speeding up discovery
-CompoundSearch can rotate, flip, and copy-paste components
What? Apgluxe is a soup searching program. How would it "create components"?Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 4. Connections
-apgluxe creates components
-they all work together
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
so it searches for soups and potentially useful ones turn into components for laterLuveelVoom wrote: September 30th, 2026, 9:40 pmBarrister.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 1. CompoundSearch:
-combines components together to create reflectors and other stuff
-can be a CAD
Rlifesrc.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 2. WeldSearch:
-CompoundSearch but it is different so it can discover welds to make new components
LifeViewer.Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 3. Features
-Can be implemented across many different rules
-Immersion: CompoundSearch can immerse in some components speeding up discovery
-CompoundSearch can rotate, flip, and copy-paste components
What? Apgluxe is a soup searching program. How would it "create components"?Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 4. Connections
-apgluxe creates components
-they all work together
EDIT: CompoundSearch can modify by itself so it CAN, not WILL, be a proper CAD. Also, WeldSearch is... ...is... ...uhhhhhh different i suppose
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
So... it searches soups, isolates objects that might be useful, and then feeds those into the rest of the program? It is very difficult to detect useful components, and adding more components to a search increases the time the search takes. Either you find the components yourself using barrister (in which case apgluxe is useless), or you shove a ton of stuff into catforce from apgluxe, and your searches take a trillion years.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 5:42 pmso it searches for soups and potentially useful ones turn into components for laterLuveelVoom wrote: September 30th, 2026, 9:40 pmWhat? Apgluxe is a soup searching program. How would it "create components"?Termite wrote: September 30th, 2026, 8:26 pm 4. Connections
-apgluxe creates components
-they all work together
EDIT: CompoundSearch can modify by itself so it CAN, not WILL, be a proper CAD. Also, WeldSearch is... ...is... ...uhhhhhh different i suppose
What do you mean "CompoundSearch can modify by itself"? Do you mean it can edit its own code??????
WeldSearch is not very useful since LLS exists.
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
LuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:10 pmSo... it searches soups, isolates objects that might be useful, and then feeds those into the rest of the program? It is very difficult to detect useful components, and adding more components to a search increases the time the search takes. Either you find the components yourself using barrister (in which case apgluxe is useless), or you shove a ton of stuff into catforce from apgluxe, and your searches take a trillion years.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 5:42 pmso it searches for soups and potentially useful ones turn into components for laterLuveelVoom wrote: September 30th, 2026, 9:40 pm What? Apgluxe is a soup searching program. How would it "create components"?
EDIT: CompoundSearch can modify by itself so it CAN, not WILL, be a proper CAD. Also, WeldSearch is... ...is... ...uhhhhhh different i suppose
What do you mean "CompoundSearch can modify by itself"? Do you mean it can edit its own code??????
WeldSearch is not very useful since LLS exists.
CompoundSearch can modify components like flip them rotate them and inflate them
- TheWayOfTheCon
- Posts: 349
- Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
- Location: Kraken Mare, Titan
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Flipping and rotating components isn't that hard, but "inflating"? You mean, adding on to them? When would that be needed?Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:22 pm CompoundSearch can modify components like flip them rotate them and inflate them
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.
I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Barrister.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:22 pm CompoundSearch can modify components like flip them rotate them and inflate them
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
ok so what else and also stop putting periods directly behind one word pls it freaks me outLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:47 pmBarrister.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:22 pm CompoundSearch can modify components like flip them rotate them and inflate them
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
yeah nvm there is nothing else (transformations) and also it can also save compounds as components create insane recursive circuitry in a very short timeTermite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 7:54 pmok so what else and also stop putting periods directly behind one word pls it freaks me outLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:47 pmBarrister.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 6:22 pm CompoundSearch can modify components like flip them rotate them and inflate them
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
yeah,
I can read
I can do math
I can use computer
but I still feel like using computer is cheating . . .
I can read
I can do math
I can use computer
but I still feel like using computer is cheating . . .
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Yes, and I want a program that can find the moderator camelship in a very short time. Unfortunately, you cannot simply summon a program into existence by describing what output you want, particularly if you describe the goals in extremely vague terms as you have done here, and especially if you both describe it in extremely vague terms AND ask the community to build it for you.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 7:56 pm yeah nvm there is nothing else (transformations) and also it can also save compounds as components create insane recursive circuitry in a very short time
I can say "Can someone please make me a program that makes a big computer in cgol in a short time?" But there are several problems, as I said above:
- How exactly does it go about building this computer? What are the subcomponents? What is the architecture? How do I specify what I want it to do?
- How is it going to build this computer in a short time? CGOL computers are very big, what optimizations will have to be made?
- How will I use it? We don't even know what thing I want to do with it, how should we know how the user will be able to use it?
- Given how little effort I have put into specifying the above, will anyone actually be willing to put effort into making it???
I've been doing this for about a week, and the program has only been barely functional for the past 3 days; the program is very basic; the "guide" attached to it is disastrous and misleads the user (I will have to go rewrite it); the capabilities are limited (it doesn't support diagonal geometries, for example); and it meshes poorly with the rest of LLSSS.
To do this, I have had to:
- Ask Keith Amling about 10 annoying questions.
- One of those questions resulted in him writing up a guide to the basics of LLSSS, which was about 3 pages long.
- I went through and read that guide in detail.
- I explained to the LLM all of the mistakes it had been making.
- I checked the LLM output multiple times.
How long do you think it will take for someone, with or without AI, to build a program, from scratch, that, quote:
...which is a very very difficult task to do and also requires far more details to even know what you are asking for here???Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 7:56 pm save compounds as components create insane recursive circuitry in a very short time
I hope I haven't been too rude here, but the only way you will achieve this goal is by going out and coding it yourself.
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
I only code scratch bruhLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:21 pmYes, and I want a program that can find the moderator camelship in a very short time. Unfortunately, you cannot simply summon a program into existence by describing what output you want, particularly if you describe the goals in extremely vague terms as you have done here, and especially if you both describe it in extremely vague terms AND ask the community to build it for you.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 7:56 pm yeah nvm there is nothing else (transformations) and also it can also save compounds as components create insane recursive circuitry in a very short time
I can say "Can someone please make me a program that makes a big computer in cgol in a short time?" But there are several problems, as I said above:
- How exactly does it go about building this computer? What are the subcomponents? What is the architecture? How do I specify what I want it to do?
- How is it going to build this computer in a short time? CGOL computers are very big, what optimizations will have to be made?
- How will I use it? We don't even know what thing I want to do with it, how should we know how the user will be able to use it?
For instance, I have recently been embarking on a venture to create a simple web tool for producing partial files for LLSSS (coded by Keith Amling). Now, towards this end, I have been using AI, which is the closest to "community member who will code whatever you want" that we have at the moment.
- Given how little effort I have put into specifying the above, will anyone actually be willing to put effort into making it???
I've been doing this for about a week, and the program has only been barely functional for the past 3 days; the program is very basic; the "guide" attached to it is disastrous and misleads the user (I will have to go rewrite it); the capabilities are limited (it doesn't support diagonal geometries, for example); and it meshes poorly with the rest of LLSSS.
To do this, I have had to:
- Ask Keith Amling about 10 annoying questions.
- One of those questions resulted in him writing up a guide to the basics of LLSSS, which was about 3 pages long.
- I went through and read that guide in detail.
- I explained to the LLM all of the mistakes it had been making.
Now, I do not know how to code. To make this VERY SIMPLE TOOL, which builds off of the back of an EXISTING program, using a tool which codes automatically FOR YOU, I have had to invest about 8 hours of time over the past week.
- I checked the LLM output multiple times.
How long do you think it will take for someone, with or without AI, to build a program, from scratch, that, quote:...which is a very very difficult task to do and also requires far more details to even know what you are asking for here???Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 7:56 pm save compounds as components create insane recursive circuitry in a very short time
I hope I haven't been too rude here, but the only way you will achieve this goal is by going out and coding it yourself.
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Alright, I think we're clearly done here, since you don't seem to get what I'm saying...
tl;dr: You haven't specified what you want to do in enough detail, what you want to do seems very hard, and nobody wants to do a very hard thing for you with no help from you.
tl;dr: You haven't specified what you want to do in enough detail, what you want to do seems very hard, and nobody wants to do a very hard thing for you with no help from you.
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
so when will some advanced coder enter the CGoL communityLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:38 pm Alright, I think we're clearly done here, since you don't seem to get what I'm saying...
tl;dr: You haven't specified what you want to do in enough detail, what you want to do seems very hard, and nobody wants to do a very hard thing for you with no help from you.
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
There are over a dozen. They just don't want to code a program that has a one-line unclear description of an extremely difficult thing to do.
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
OK so basically the fact that these don't exist because these are hard to make existLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:47 pmThere are over a dozen. They just don't want to code a program that has a one-line unclear description of an extremely difficult thing to do.
EDIT: 1000 posts gg
- LuveelVoom
- Posts: 726
- Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Termite's new program
Yes. (or in some cases because there are existing programs to do it)Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:49 pm OK so basically the fact that these don't exist because these are hard to make exist
Last edited by LuveelVoom on October 1st, 2026, 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OCA primer (WIP): User:LuveelVoom/A_Primer_On_OCA
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
My rules: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843
Free compute: https://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic ... 77#p234677
Discord user: LuveelVoom
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
What if we combine every search algorithm into a supermachineLuveelVoom wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:52 pmYes. (or in some cases because there are existing programs to do it)Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:49 pm OK so basically the fact that these don't exist because these are hard to make exist
- NNlk05
- Posts: 741
- Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
- Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
- Contact:
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
To put it simply, nope, impossible. Each search algorithm has a different focus, and combining them will only create a mess.Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 8:53 pm What if we combine every search algorithm into a supermachine
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
https://nnlk05.github.io
=3
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
=3
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
So, what CAN we do*
*in the foreseeable future
- NNlk05
- Posts: 741
- Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
- Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
- Contact:
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Use Moore's law, put more money/time into CA research, publicly plug CA more, come up with new search algorithms (but not mashing them together!) etc... blah blah blah...
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
https://nnlk05.github.io
=3
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
=3
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
So what if we come up with a search algorithm focusing on stuff that can be combined into one search algorithm? By stuff I mean like parts of CGoL physics (movement, growth, reflection, etc.)NNlk05 wrote: October 1st, 2026, 9:00 pmUse Moore's law, put more money/time into CA research, publicly plug CA more, come up with new search algorithms (but not mashing them together!) etc... blah blah blah...
- NNlk05
- Posts: 741
- Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
- Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
- Contact:
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
*jumps out of chair* Physics?!!? We don't even have conservation of enegery/mass/momentum/angler momentum in most CA!Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 9:04 pm So what if we come up with a search algorithm focusing on stuff that can be combined into one search algorithm? By stuff I mean like parts of CGoL physics (movement, growth, reflection, etc.)
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
https://nnlk05.github.io
=3
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
=3
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
like i mean noticeable features of patternsNNlk05 wrote: October 1st, 2026, 9:06 pm*jumps out of chair* Physics?!!? We don't even have conservation of enegery/mass/momentum/angler momentum in most CA!Termite wrote: October 1st, 2026, 9:04 pm So what if we come up with a search algorithm focusing on stuff that can be combined into one search algorithm? By stuff I mean like parts of CGoL physics (movement, growth, reflection, etc.)
- NNlk05
- Posts: 741
- Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
- Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
- Contact:
Re: Thread for your miscellaneous posts and discussions
Programming needs a specific descriptor, not human-noticeable "features".
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
https://nnlk05.github.io
=3
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
=3