For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 329 Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by TheWayOfTheCon » September 25th, 2026, 10:05 pm
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 4:14 pm
qqd wrote: September 25th, 2026, 3:24 am
I am fairly certain that that reaction is known, having witnessed it myself a couple of times before. However, the way you discovered it allows for this useless oscillator partial:
Code: Select all
x = 34, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
2o30b2o$obo28bobo$2bo28bo$2b2o26b2o$4bo24bo$2b3o24b3o$bo30bo$b2o8b2o8b
2o8b2o$10bo2bo6bo2bo$11b2o8b2o$14bo4bo3$14bo4bo$11b2o8b2o$10bo2bo6bo2b
o$b2o8b2o8b2o8b2o$bo30bo$2b3o24b3o$4bo24bo$2b2o26b2o$2bo28bo$obo28bob
o$2o30b2o!
So how do we make it into an oscillator?
I'm not sure we could. The only thing that's missing to make this oscillator work are four dots surrounded by the beehives.
Code:
Select all
x = 34, y = 24, rule = LifeHistory
2A30.2A$A.A28.A.A$2.A28.A$2.2A26.2A$4.A24.A$2.3A24.3A$.A30.A$.2A8.2A8.
2A8.2A$10.A2.A6.A2.A$11.2A8.2A$14.C4.C3$14.C4.C$11.2A8.2A$10.A2.A6.A2.
A$.2A8.2A8.2A8.2A$.A30.A$2.3A24.3A$4.A24.A$2.2A26.2A$2.A28.A$A.A28.A.
A$2A30.2A!
I'm not well versed in Life oscillator construction, but I'm almost certain there isn't a way to create those dots without also disturbing the beehives. Everything's just too close to each other.
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.
Still learning the ropes of cellular automata, focused on one OCA at a time. My current interest is
B35/S126 and
range-two LTLs .
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 25th, 2026, 10:19 pm
TheWayOfTheCon wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:05 pm
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 4:14 pm
qqd wrote: September 25th, 2026, 3:24 am
I am fairly certain that that reaction is known, having witnessed it myself a couple of times before. However, the way you discovered it allows for this useless oscillator partial:
Code: Select all
x = 34, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
2o30b2o$obo28bobo$2bo28bo$2b2o26b2o$4bo24bo$2b3o24b3o$bo30bo$b2o8b2o8b
2o8b2o$10bo2bo6bo2bo$11b2o8b2o$14bo4bo3$14bo4bo$11b2o8b2o$10bo2bo6bo2b
o$b2o8b2o8b2o8b2o$bo30bo$2b3o24b3o$4bo24bo$2b2o26b2o$2bo28bo$obo28bob
o$2o30b2o!
So how do we make it into an oscillator?
I'm not sure we could. The only thing that's missing to make this oscillator work are four dots surrounded by the beehives.
Code:
Select all
x = 34, y = 24, rule = LifeHistory
2A30.2A$A.A28.A.A$2.A28.A$2.2A26.2A$4.A24.A$2.3A24.3A$.A30.A$.2A8.2A8.
2A8.2A$10.A2.A6.A2.A$11.2A8.2A$14.C4.C3$14.C4.C$11.2A8.2A$10.A2.A6.A2.
A$.2A8.2A8.2A8.2A$.A30.A$2.3A24.3A$4.A24.A$2.2A26.2A$2.A28.A$A.A28.A.
A$2A30.2A!
I'm not well versed in Life oscillator construction, but I'm almost certain there isn't a way to create those dots without also disturbing the beehives. Everything's just too close to each other.
Glider synthesis?
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
2
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 25th, 2026, 10:26 pm
Code: Select all
x = 3, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
b2o$b2o4$b2o$obo$obo$bo!
This probably exists already but I posted it here
LuveelVoom
Posts: 672 Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Quote
2
Login to like this post
Post
by LuveelVoom » September 25th, 2026, 10:50 pm
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:19 pm
Glider synthesis?
This might end up being the only viable option. There just might be some sort of glider collision edgy enough to fit those dots in; I have no idea how to find it, though.
EDIT: looking more closely at it, this seems completely impossible. There's only a four-cell wide strip to fit a spark in without interacting with anything; I don't think any sparks are edgy enough to work.
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 25th, 2026, 10:52 pm
LuveelVoom wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:50 pm
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:19 pm
Glider synthesis?
This might end up being the only viable option. There just might be some sort of glider collision edgy enough to fit those dots in; I have no idea how to find it, though.
EDIT: looking more closely at it, this seems completely impossible. There's only a four-cell wide strip to fit a spark in without interacting with anything; I don't think any sparks are edgy enough to work.
gg
Entity Valkyrie 2
Posts: 2118 Joined: February 26th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Contact:
Quote
5
Login to like this post
Post
by Entity Valkyrie 2 » September 26th, 2026, 3:41 am
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:52 pm
LuveelVoom wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:50 pm
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:19 pm
Glider synthesis?
This might end up being the only viable option. There just might be some sort of glider collision edgy enough to fit those dots in; I have no idea how to find it, though.
EDIT: looking more closely at it, this seems completely impossible. There's only a four-cell wide strip to fit a spark in without interacting with anything; I don't think any sparks are edgy enough to work.
gg
Okay... I shall unleash my army of gliders at it.
Code: Select all
x = 136, y = 118, rule = B3/S23
133bo$133bobo$133b2o4$5bo$3bobo$4b2o2$13bo80bobo$11bobo80b2o$12b2o81bo
3$122bobo$122b2o$123bo$126bo$126bobo$126b2o$15bobo$16b2o$16bo12$38bo$
36bobo$37b2o$83bo$81b3o$80bo$75b2o4bo$75b3ob2obo$75b2obobobo$81bo$78b
3o$77b3o$77b3o$77b3o$78bo4$44bo11bo$42bobo9b2o7b2o6b2o$43b2o10b2o5bo2b
o4bo2bo$63b2o6b2o3b2o$76b2o3$58b2o$58b2o3b2o6b2o$62bo2bo4bo2bo5b2o10b
2o$63b2o6b2o7b2o9bobo$79bo11bo4$57bo$56b3o$56b3o$56b3o$55b3o$54bo$53bo
bobob2o$53bob2ob3o$54bo4b2o$55bo$52b3o$52bo$97b2o$97bobo$97bo12$119bo$
118b2o$118bobo$8b2o$7bobo$9bo$12bo$12b2o$11bobo3$40bo81b2o$40b2o80bobo
$39bobo80bo2$130b2o$130bobo$130bo4$b2o$obo$2bo!
Bx222 IS MY WORST ENEMY.
HyperConway — explore cellular automata on HyperRogue's hyperbolic tiling
Creator of the rule
StateInvestigator
Please click
here for my own pages (and oscillator stamp collections)
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 27th, 2026, 10:32 am
Entity Valkyrie 2 wrote: September 26th, 2026, 3:41 am
Termite wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:52 pm
LuveelVoom wrote: September 25th, 2026, 10:50 pm
This might end up being the only viable option. There just might be some sort of glider collision edgy enough to fit those dots in; I have no idea how to find it, though.
EDIT: looking more closely at it, this seems completely impossible. There's only a four-cell wide strip to fit a spark in without interacting with anything; I don't think any sparks are edgy enough to work.
gg
Okay... I shall unleash my army of gliders at it.
Code: Select all
x = 136, y = 118, rule = B3/S23
133bo$133bobo$133b2o4$5bo$3bobo$4b2o2$13bo80bobo$11bobo80b2o$12b2o81bo
3$122bobo$122b2o$123bo$126bo$126bobo$126b2o$15bobo$16b2o$16bo12$38bo$
36bobo$37b2o$83bo$81b3o$80bo$75b2o4bo$75b3ob2obo$75b2obobobo$81bo$78b
3o$77b3o$77b3o$77b3o$78bo4$44bo11bo$42bobo9b2o7b2o6b2o$43b2o10b2o5bo2b
o4bo2bo$63b2o6b2o3b2o$76b2o3$58b2o$58b2o3b2o6b2o$62bo2bo4bo2bo5b2o10b
2o$63b2o6b2o7b2o9bobo$79bo11bo4$57bo$56b3o$56b3o$56b3o$55b3o$54bo$53bo
bobob2o$53bob2ob3o$54bo4b2o$55bo$52b3o$52bo$97b2o$97bobo$97bo12$119bo$
118b2o$118bobo$8b2o$7bobo$9bo$12bo$12b2o$11bobo3$40bo81b2o$40b2o80bobo
$39bobo80bo2$130b2o$130bobo$130bo4$b2o$obo$2bo!
Also, make this into an actual oscillator it'll be cool
Also also, I have an idea called a flexible gun. Flexible guns are guns that launch predecessors that turn into gliders so that gliders don't collide with other guns easily. I think this might be the only option here.
I6_I6
Posts: 1049 Joined: July 26th, 2025, 8:44 pm
Location: Here, there, somewhere, anywhere, everywhere.
Contact:
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by I6_I6 » September 27th, 2026, 11:16 am
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 10:32 am
[...]
Also, make this into an actual oscillator it'll be cool
Also also, I have an idea called a flexible gun. Flexible guns are guns that launch predecessors that turn into gliders so that gliders don't collide with other guns easily. I think this might be the only option here.
There's already a ton of really good edgeshooting components out there, so there's no need for anything like that (although your description is sort of like an edgeshooter).
Code: Select all
#C [[ THEME Golly ]]
x = 27, y = 15, rule = LifeHistory
8.A$A6.A.A$3A4.BA2B.B2D$3.A4.2B.2B2DB$2.2A2.3B.6B2.3B$2.20B$4.19B$4.2B
C10BD4B$4.2B2C10BD4B$4.B2C11B2D3B$4.13B2D4B$5.12BD3B.B2A$6.13B3.BA.A$
6.3B.B3.B10.A$25.2A!
RuleEdit: A .rule file editing tool
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 27th, 2026, 11:27 am
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:16 am
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 10:32 am
[...]
Also, make this into an actual oscillator it'll be cool
Also also, I have an idea called a flexible gun. Flexible guns are guns that launch predecessors that turn into gliders so that gliders don't collide with other guns easily. I think this might be the only option here.
There's already a ton of really good edgeshooting components out there, so there's no need for anything like that (although your description is sort of like an edgeshooter).
I mean like this
Attachments
flexible costume4.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 233 times
non-flexible costume3 (3).jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 233 times
I6_I6
Posts: 1049 Joined: July 26th, 2025, 8:44 pm
Location: Here, there, somewhere, anywhere, everywhere.
Contact:
Quote
1
Login to like this post
Post
by I6_I6 » September 27th, 2026, 2:58 pm
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:27 am
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:16 am
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 10:32 am
[...]
Also, make this into an actual oscillator it'll be cool
Also also, I have an idea called a flexible gun. Flexible guns are guns that launch predecessors that turn into gliders so that gliders don't collide with other guns easily. I think this might be the only option here.
There's already a ton of really good edgeshooting components out there, so there's no need for anything like that (although your description is sort of like an edgeshooter).
I mean like this
[...]
Looking at your diagrams, I think your idea of a "flexible" gun is basically what I meant by an edgeshooter. From what I understand, this is sort of what your "flexible" diagram represents:
Code: Select all
x = 96, y = 92, rule = LifeHistory
25.A$25.3A$28.A$27.2A$27.4B$29.3B$28.5B$28.5B$27.7B$27.7B$27.2A3B2A$27.
B5AB$27.B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$27.B2AB2AB4.11B$17.2BA3B5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$10.B4.4B
4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$9.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$9.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B$10.4BA5B4A
29B$10.4BA4B4A32B$12.B4.2BA3B4.29B$27.30B$27.31B$26.33B$25.7B.10B.16B
$24.19B2.2B.8B.4B$23.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$22.4B.6B17.4B5.B2A$21.4B3.4B19.
4B5.A$5.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$5.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A.2A.A$4.2A2B2A3B
A4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$4.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.2A3.A.2A$5.B2.B4A
3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$10.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A5.A$4.A8.5B3.B3A2B2.B
ABA.A16.2A6.3A$4.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA28.A$7.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB2A28.2A$6.
2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB28.4B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA31.3B$2.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B34.
5B$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A36.5B$.A.2AB2.5B8.A39.7B$2A.B.B3.5B7.A39.7B$A2.
2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A38.2A3B2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A37.B5AB$3.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A37.
B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B32.B2AB2AB4.11B$A2.A2.5BA7B6.6B20.2BA3B
5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B11.B4.4B4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$7.4BA3BA4B.
BA2BAB2ABA2BAB8.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$7.7BA7B4AB2AB4AB8.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B
$7.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB9.4BA5B4A29B$5.2ABA10B.B2.10B11.4BA4B4A32B$5.A2B
2.9B6.6B15.B4.2BA3B4.29B$6.A3.8B9.2B32.30B$3.3A5.6B44.31B$3.A9.3B44.33B
$59.7B.10B.16B$58.19B2.2B.8B.4B$57.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$56.4B.6B17.4B5.B
2A$55.4B3.4B19.4B5.A$39.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$39.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A
.2A.A$38.2A2B2A3BA4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$38.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.
2A3.A.2A$39.B2.B4A3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$44.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A$38.
A8.5B3.B3A2B2.BABA.A16.2A$38.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA$41.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB
2A$40.2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB$40.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA$36.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$35.
A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$35.A.2AB2.5B8.A$34.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$34.A2.2A2B2.5B4.
BA.2A$35.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$37.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A$35.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B$34.A2.
A2.5BA7B6.6B$35.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B$41.4BA3BA4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$41.7BA7B
4AB2AB4AB$41.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$39.2ABA10B.B2.10B$39.A2B2.9B6.6B$40.
A3.8B9.2B$37.3A5.6B$37.A9.3B!
And this is your non-flexible diagram:
Code: Select all
x = 83, y = 88, rule = LifeHistory
3.A9.3B$3.3A5.6B$6.A3.8B9.2B$5.2AB2.9B6.6B$5.9B3A2B.B2.10B$7.4B3AB2A5B
A2BAB2ABA2BAB$7.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A2B$7.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$.2A3.6B2A
6B3.10B$A2.A2.13B6.6B$.2A2.A13B8.2B$3.2ABA12B3.2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$A
2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A$2A.B.B3.5B7.A$.A.2AB2.5B8.A$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$2.
2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$6.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$7.A4.ABAB6.
5B.A3BA$4.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$4.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$10.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A
.ABAB$5.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$4.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$4.2A2B2A
2B2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$5.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$5.3B12.4B$21.4B$22.4B$23.4B$24.
4B$25.4B$26.3BA$27.ABA$28.2A15$48.A9.3B$48.3A5.6B$51.A3.8B9.2B$50.2AB
2.9B6.6B$50.9B3A2B.B2.10B$52.4B3AB2A5BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$52.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A
2B$52.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$46.2A3.6B2A6B3.10B$45.A2.A2.13B6.6B$46.
2A2.A13B8.2B$48.2ABA12B3.2A$46.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$45.A2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A
$45.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$46.A.2AB2.5B8.A$46.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$47.2A4.5B4.A
.A3.B2A2B$51.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$51.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$52.A4.ABAB6.5B.A3B
A$49.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$49.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$55.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A.ABA
B$50.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$49.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$49.2A2B2A2B
2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$50.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$50.3B12.4B$66.4B$67.4B$68.4B$69.
4B$70.4B$71.3BA$72.ABA$73.2A!
Whether this is what you meant by flexible or not, it'll have the same effect, so there's no need for any new technology here.
Code: Select all
#C [[ THEME Golly ]]
x = 27, y = 15, rule = LifeHistory
8.A$A6.A.A$3A4.BA2B.B2D$3.A4.2B.2B2DB$2.2A2.3B.6B2.3B$2.20B$4.19B$4.2B
C10BD4B$4.2B2C10BD4B$4.B2C11B2D3B$4.13B2D4B$5.12BD3B.B2A$6.13B3.BA.A$
6.3B.B3.B10.A$25.2A!
RuleEdit: A .rule file editing tool
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
1
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 27th, 2026, 3:13 pm
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 2:58 pm
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:27 am
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:16 am
There's already a ton of really good edgeshooting components out there, so there's no need for anything like that (although your description is sort of like an edgeshooter).
I mean like this
[...]
Looking at your diagrams, I think your idea of a "flexible" gun is basically what I meant by an edgeshooter. From what I understand, this is sort of what your "flexible" diagram represents:
Code: Select all
x = 96, y = 92, rule = LifeHistory
25.A$25.3A$28.A$27.2A$27.4B$29.3B$28.5B$28.5B$27.7B$27.7B$27.2A3B2A$27.
B5AB$27.B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$27.B2AB2AB4.11B$17.2BA3B5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$10.B4.4B
4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$9.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$9.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B$10.4BA5B4A
29B$10.4BA4B4A32B$12.B4.2BA3B4.29B$27.30B$27.31B$26.33B$25.7B.10B.16B
$24.19B2.2B.8B.4B$23.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$22.4B.6B17.4B5.B2A$21.4B3.4B19.
4B5.A$5.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$5.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A.2A.A$4.2A2B2A3B
A4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$4.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.2A3.A.2A$5.B2.B4A
3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$10.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A5.A$4.A8.5B3.B3A2B2.B
ABA.A16.2A6.3A$4.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA28.A$7.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB2A28.2A$6.
2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB28.4B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA31.3B$2.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B34.
5B$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A36.5B$.A.2AB2.5B8.A39.7B$2A.B.B3.5B7.A39.7B$A2.
2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A38.2A3B2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A37.B5AB$3.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A37.
B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B32.B2AB2AB4.11B$A2.A2.5BA7B6.6B20.2BA3B
5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B11.B4.4B4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$7.4BA3BA4B.
BA2BAB2ABA2BAB8.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$7.7BA7B4AB2AB4AB8.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B
$7.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB9.4BA5B4A29B$5.2ABA10B.B2.10B11.4BA4B4A32B$5.A2B
2.9B6.6B15.B4.2BA3B4.29B$6.A3.8B9.2B32.30B$3.3A5.6B44.31B$3.A9.3B44.33B
$59.7B.10B.16B$58.19B2.2B.8B.4B$57.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$56.4B.6B17.4B5.B
2A$55.4B3.4B19.4B5.A$39.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$39.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A
.2A.A$38.2A2B2A3BA4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$38.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.
2A3.A.2A$39.B2.B4A3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$44.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A$38.
A8.5B3.B3A2B2.BABA.A16.2A$38.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA$41.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB
2A$40.2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB$40.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA$36.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$35.
A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$35.A.2AB2.5B8.A$34.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$34.A2.2A2B2.5B4.
BA.2A$35.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$37.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A$35.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B$34.A2.
A2.5BA7B6.6B$35.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B$41.4BA3BA4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$41.7BA7B
4AB2AB4AB$41.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$39.2ABA10B.B2.10B$39.A2B2.9B6.6B$40.
A3.8B9.2B$37.3A5.6B$37.A9.3B!
And this is your non-flexible diagram:
Code: Select all
x = 83, y = 88, rule = LifeHistory
3.A9.3B$3.3A5.6B$6.A3.8B9.2B$5.2AB2.9B6.6B$5.9B3A2B.B2.10B$7.4B3AB2A5B
A2BAB2ABA2BAB$7.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A2B$7.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$.2A3.6B2A
6B3.10B$A2.A2.13B6.6B$.2A2.A13B8.2B$3.2ABA12B3.2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$A
2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A$2A.B.B3.5B7.A$.A.2AB2.5B8.A$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$2.
2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$6.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$7.A4.ABAB6.
5B.A3BA$4.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$4.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$10.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A
.ABAB$5.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$4.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$4.2A2B2A
2B2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$5.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$5.3B12.4B$21.4B$22.4B$23.4B$24.
4B$25.4B$26.3BA$27.ABA$28.2A15$48.A9.3B$48.3A5.6B$51.A3.8B9.2B$50.2AB
2.9B6.6B$50.9B3A2B.B2.10B$52.4B3AB2A5BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$52.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A
2B$52.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$46.2A3.6B2A6B3.10B$45.A2.A2.13B6.6B$46.
2A2.A13B8.2B$48.2ABA12B3.2A$46.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$45.A2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A
$45.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$46.A.2AB2.5B8.A$46.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$47.2A4.5B4.A
.A3.B2A2B$51.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$51.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$52.A4.ABAB6.5B.A3B
A$49.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$49.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$55.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A.ABA
B$50.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$49.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$49.2A2B2A2B
2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$50.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$50.3B12.4B$66.4B$67.4B$68.4B$69.
4B$70.4B$71.3BA$72.ABA$73.2A!
Whether this is what you meant by flexible or not, it'll have the same effect, so there's no need for any new technology here.
now i will build the double pentadecathlon thingy
EDIT: flexible gun ain't flexing
Code: Select all
x = 541, y = 538, rule = B3/S23
84b2o3bo$82b3obobobo$81bo4bobobo$81bobobobobo7b2o$72b2o2b2o4b2obobo9bo
$72b2o3bo8bobo6bobo$77bobo7bo6b3o$78b2o14bo$71b2obo17b3o$57b2o13bobo
14bo$57b2o14bo$72b2o13b5o$72b2o14bo2bo$60bo11b2o17b2o$59bo30b3o$59bo$
82bo$80b3o$55b2o3b2o17bo$58bo21b3o2b2o$55bo5bo20bo3bo5bo$56b2ob2o22b3o
6bo$57bobo16bo8bobo3b3o$58bo17b2o8b2o$58bo19bo2b2o$41b2o29bo4b2o2b2o8b
3o$42bo28bobo18bo$42bobo5bobo19bo19bo$43b2o5bo2bo38bo$53b2o21b3o13bo$
25bo25bo3b2o22bo11b3o$25b3o25b2o20bo3bo$28bo21bo2bo20bobo2bo$27b2o21bo
bo19bo2bobo13b3o$72bo3bo15bo$72bo19bo$73b3o3$27b2o3b2o$27b2o3b2o21b2o$
55b2o$29b3o$29b3o$18b2o10bo9b2o$18b2o20b2o$9b2o3bo6b2o$9bobo3bo5b3o49b
o$10b5o6b2o48b3o$11b3o4b2o50bo$18b2o51bo$70b2o3b2o$72b2o2bo$40b2o28b2o
2b2o$71bobo$60bo9bo2bo$58bobo10b2o$59b2o2$6b2o41bobobobo12bo$5b3o18bo
21bob2ob2obo9bobo$4bobo2bo2b2o11bobo6bo13bo3bo3bo10b2o$4b2o2b2o2b2o11b
2o6bobo11b2o3bob2o$8b2o15b2o5bo3bo16bo$24b2o5bo3bo15bobo$4bo18b2o5bo3b
o16b2o$4b3o17b2o3bo3bo$7bo17bo4bobo$6b2o10bo12bo$17bobo$2b2o13bobo4b2o
$bo2bo11b2ob2o3b2o$bob2o16bo$2o19bo$o2b2o14bob2o$b2o2bo13b2o2bo$3b2obo
15b2o$b2o2bo4b3o56bo$o2bo6b2obo55b3o$b2o5bob2obo9b2o6b2o39bo$7b2o3b3o
7bo2bo4bo2bo37b2o$7b2o12b6o2b6o$8b2o12bo2bo4bo2bo40bo$23b2o6b2o40bobo$
5b2o65bo3bo$6bo66b3o$3b3o65b2o3b2o$3bo4$62bo21b2o$60bobo21b2o$53b2o4bo
bo$53b2o3bo2bo$59bobo$60bobo$62bo10b2o$72b3o$72bo2bo$73b2o6$93bobobobo
$49b4o17bo21bob2ob2obo$48bo7b2o11bobo20bo3bo3bo$48bo3b2o2b2o12bo6b3o
11b2o3bob2o$49bo2b2o15bo7b3o17bo$68bobo6b3o15bobo$48bo8bo9bo6b3o18b2o$
48b3o6bobo8bobo3b3o$51bo5bobo9bo4b3o$50b2o10bo57bo$61bobo54bobo$46b2o
13bobo4b2o49b2o$45bo2bo11b2ob2o3b2o$45bob2o16bo62bo$44b2o19bo60bobo$
44bo2b2o14bob2o60b2o$45b2o2bo13b2o2bo$47b2obo15b2o$45b2o2bo$44bo2bo8b
3o$45b2o8bo$54bo3bo6bo2b2o4b2o2bo$54bo3bo5bo3b3o2b3o3bo$54bo10bo2b2o4b
2o2bo$55bo3bo70bobo$49b2o5bo2bo71b2o$50bo7bo72bo$47b3o$47bo41$180bo$
178bobo$179b2o2$188bo$186bobo$187b2o54$240bo$238bobo$239b2o2$248bo$
246bobo$247b2o54$300bo$298bobo$299b2o2$308bo$306bobo$307b2o54$360bo$
358bobo$359b2o2$368bo$366bobo$367b2o54$420bo$418bobo$419b2o2$428bo$
426bobo$427b2o54$480bo$478bobo$479b2o2$488bo$486bobo$487b2o54$540bo$
538bobo$539b2o!
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 27th, 2026, 8:00 pm
new puffer maybe i call this the pine tree or "Thorny"
Code: Select all
x = 92, y = 92, rule = B3/S23
23bo$20b4o2$37b3o2$23bobo12b2o$24bo13b2o$22b2o13bo2bo$22bo2bo11bo$21b
2ob2o10b3o$36b2o$39b2o$38bo2bo$27bo$27bo8b2o$27bo2b3o3bo2bo$24b2o7bo3b
3o14b2o$24b2o7bo20b2o15bo$24b2o4b2o38b3o$29b3o37bobobo$bo25b2ob2o36b3o
b3o14bo$bo7bo17bo3bo37bobobo13b2obo$bo5b3o17bo2bo39b3o4b2o9bob2o$2o3bo
bo20bo37b3o2bo5b2o11bo$6bo2bo6b3o28b2o20bo$5bo2b2o6b3o27bobo17bo3bo$
47bo19bo2bo$13b3o4b3o46b2o$20bo2bo41b5o$19bo44b4obo$15bo2b3obo41b2o3b
2o$15bo2b4o46bo$15bo45b2o3bo$16b2o43b2obobo$62b2o3bo$61bo4bo$9b2o3b2o
26b2o21bo$3bo3b4o3bobo25b2o17bo2bo$3bob2o2bo2bo3bo45bo4bo$3bob2o4bo3b
2o49bobo$7bo3bo53b2ob2o$12bo52b2obo$36b2o30bo12b2o$36b2o25b2o3bo11bobo
$50b2o11b2o16bo$50b2o15b2o$25bo40b3o$24bobo$24b2o2$44b2o$44b2o15b2o$
61bobo$62bo$16b2o$16b2o$79b2o$78bobo$79bo3$32b2obobo13b2o$32b3o3bo12bo
bo$34bo8b2o7bo$29b2o2bo3bo5b2o$28b3o5bo3b2o$23bobo2b2o2b2obo3b3o4bo$
23bo2bob2o4bo3bo6b2o$20bo2bo4bo2bo7b5ob2o27b2o$19b3o2bo2b4o9bo33b2o$
18bobobo2b3o2bo$17b3ob3o$18bobobo$19b3o$20bo47b2o$68b2o2$22b2o$22b2o
33bo$56bobo$43bo12b2o$42bobo$42b2o5$21bo$21b2o$20bo$21b3o$22bo!
WhiteHawk
Posts: 1423 Joined: July 10th, 2024, 5:34 pm
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by WhiteHawk » September 27th, 2026, 8:07 pm
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 8:00 pm
new puffer maybe i call this the pine tree or "Thorny"
This is just a variant of
Noah's ark , which refers to the set of these sorts of two switch engine combos which aren't usually interesting on their own.
Last edited by
WhiteHawk on September 27th, 2026, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working to improve Life's guns and work on updating SKOPs and Isotropic rules most similar to B3/S23 to Life standards. Will get software to begin searches eventually.
Pseudastur albicollis
LuveelVoom
Posts: 672 Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Quote
1
Login to like this post
Post
by LuveelVoom » September 27th, 2026, 8:07 pm
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 8:00 pm
new puffer maybe i call this the pine tree or "Thorny"
Code: Select all
x = 92, y = 92, rule = B3/S23
23bo$20b4o2$37b3o2$23bobo12b2o$24bo13b2o$22b2o13bo2bo$22bo2bo11bo$21b
2ob2o10b3o$36b2o$39b2o$38bo2bo$27bo$27bo8b2o$27bo2b3o3bo2bo$24b2o7bo3b
3o14b2o$24b2o7bo20b2o15bo$24b2o4b2o38b3o$29b3o37bobobo$bo25b2ob2o36b3o
b3o14bo$bo7bo17bo3bo37bobobo13b2obo$bo5b3o17bo2bo39b3o4b2o9bob2o$2o3bo
bo20bo37b3o2bo5b2o11bo$6bo2bo6b3o28b2o20bo$5bo2b2o6b3o27bobo17bo3bo$
47bo19bo2bo$13b3o4b3o46b2o$20bo2bo41b5o$19bo44b4obo$15bo2b3obo41b2o3b
2o$15bo2b4o46bo$15bo45b2o3bo$16b2o43b2obobo$62b2o3bo$61bo4bo$9b2o3b2o
26b2o21bo$3bo3b4o3bobo25b2o17bo2bo$3bob2o2bo2bo3bo45bo4bo$3bob2o4bo3b
2o49bobo$7bo3bo53b2ob2o$12bo52b2obo$36b2o30bo12b2o$36b2o25b2o3bo11bobo
$50b2o11b2o16bo$50b2o15b2o$25bo40b3o$24bobo$24b2o2$44b2o$44b2o15b2o$
61bobo$62bo$16b2o$16b2o$79b2o$78bobo$79bo3$32b2obobo13b2o$32b3o3bo12bo
bo$34bo8b2o7bo$29b2o2bo3bo5b2o$28b3o5bo3b2o$23bobo2b2o2b2obo3b3o4bo$
23bo2bob2o4bo3bo6b2o$20bo2bo4bo2bo7b5ob2o27b2o$19b3o2bo2b4o9bo33b2o$
18bobobo2b3o2bo$17b3ob3o$18bobobo$19b3o$20bo47b2o$68b2o2$22b2o$22b2o
33bo$56bobo$43bo12b2o$42bobo$42b2o5$21bo$21b2o$20bo$21b3o$22bo!
This is comprised of two copies of the
Glider-producing Switch Engine .
Termite
Posts: 33 Joined: August 29th, 2026, 9:16 pm
Location: The Farlands
Quote
Login to like this post
Post
by Termite » September 29th, 2026, 5:45 pm
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 2:58 pm
Termite wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:27 am
I6_I6 wrote: September 27th, 2026, 11:16 am
There's already a ton of really good edgeshooting components out there, so there's no need for anything like that (although your description is sort of like an edgeshooter).
I mean like this
[...]
Looking at your diagrams, I think your idea of a "flexible" gun is basically what I meant by an edgeshooter. From what I understand, this is sort of what your "flexible" diagram represents:
Code: Select all
x = 96, y = 92, rule = LifeHistory
25.A$25.3A$28.A$27.2A$27.4B$29.3B$28.5B$28.5B$27.7B$27.7B$27.2A3B2A$27.
B5AB$27.B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$27.B2AB2AB4.11B$17.2BA3B5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$10.B4.4B
4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$9.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$9.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B$10.4BA5B4A
29B$10.4BA4B4A32B$12.B4.2BA3B4.29B$27.30B$27.31B$26.33B$25.7B.10B.16B
$24.19B2.2B.8B.4B$23.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$22.4B.6B17.4B5.B2A$21.4B3.4B19.
4B5.A$5.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$5.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A.2A.A$4.2A2B2A3B
A4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$4.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.2A3.A.2A$5.B2.B4A
3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$10.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A5.A$4.A8.5B3.B3A2B2.B
ABA.A16.2A6.3A$4.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA28.A$7.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB2A28.2A$6.
2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB28.4B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA31.3B$2.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B34.
5B$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A36.5B$.A.2AB2.5B8.A39.7B$2A.B.B3.5B7.A39.7B$A2.
2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A38.2A3B2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A37.B5AB$3.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A37.
B2AB2AB7.2B.4B$.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B32.B2AB2AB4.11B$A2.A2.5BA7B6.6B20.2BA3B
5.B3AB4.3B2A7B$.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B11.B4.4B4A2B3.5B4.3B2A7B$7.4BA3BA4B.
BA2BAB2ABA2BAB8.2AB.7B4A3B.5B5.11B$7.7BA7B4AB2AB4AB8.2A9BA2BA10B3.B.10B
$7.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB9.4BA5B4A29B$5.2ABA10B.B2.10B11.4BA4B4A32B$5.A2B
2.9B6.6B15.B4.2BA3B4.29B$6.A3.8B9.2B32.30B$3.3A5.6B44.31B$3.A9.3B44.33B
$59.7B.10B.16B$58.19B2.2B.8B.4B$57.12B4.3B6.7B3.BABA$56.4B.6B17.4B5.B
2A$55.4B3.4B19.4B5.A$39.3B12.4B25.A.A.A.A$39.3B2A2.A6.4B3.A7.AB12.A.2A
.2A.A$38.2A2B2A3BA4.4B3.A.A5.B2A12.A3.A3.A$38.2A7BA3.4B3.2BAB5.2ABAB9.
2A3.A.2A$39.B2.B4A3.5B2.B.2B5.A2B3A15.A$44.3B2.5B.6B4.A.ABAB14.A.A$38.
A8.5B3.B3A2B2.BABA.A16.2A$38.3A5.5B4.B2ABA2B3A2BA$41.A4.4B6.2B2AB.BAB
2A$40.2A3.4B3.A3.6B2.2AB$40.8B3.A.A4.4B2.BA$36.2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$35.
A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$35.A.2AB2.5B8.A$34.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$34.A2.2A2B2.5B4.
BA.2A$35.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$37.2ABA4B2A6B3.2A$35.2A2.A5B2A6B8.2B$34.A2.
A2.5BA7B6.6B$35.2A3.5BA2BA5B3.10B$41.4BA3BA4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$41.7BA7B
4AB2AB4AB$41.B2A12BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$39.2ABA10B.B2.10B$39.A2B2.9B6.6B$40.
A3.8B9.2B$37.3A5.6B$37.A9.3B!
And this is your non-flexible diagram:
Code: Select all
x = 83, y = 88, rule = LifeHistory
3.A9.3B$3.3A5.6B$6.A3.8B9.2B$5.2AB2.9B6.6B$5.9B3A2B.B2.10B$7.4B3AB2A5B
A2BAB2ABA2BAB$7.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A2B$7.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$.2A3.6B2A
6B3.10B$A2.A2.13B6.6B$.2A2.A13B8.2B$3.2ABA12B3.2A$.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$A
2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A$2A.B.B3.5B7.A$.A.2AB2.5B8.A$.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$2.
2A4.5B4.A.A3.B2A2B$6.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$6.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$7.A4.ABAB6.
5B.A3BA$4.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$4.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$10.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A
.ABAB$5.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$4.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$4.2A2B2A
2B2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$5.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$5.3B12.4B$21.4B$22.4B$23.4B$24.
4B$25.4B$26.3BA$27.ABA$28.2A15$48.A9.3B$48.3A5.6B$51.A3.8B9.2B$50.2AB
2.9B6.6B$50.9B3A2B.B2.10B$52.4B3AB2A5BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$52.4B5A6B4AB2AB4A
2B$52.4BA2B2A4B.BA2BAB2ABA2BAB$46.2A3.6B2A6B3.10B$45.A2.A2.13B6.6B$46.
2A2.A13B8.2B$48.2ABA12B3.2A$46.2A2.AB.9B.B2A2.A$45.A2.2A2B2.5B4.BA.2A
$45.2A.B.B3.5B7.A$46.A.2AB2.5B8.A$46.A.BAB.5B4.2A.2A3.2A$47.2A4.5B4.A
.A3.B2A2B$51.8B3.A.A4.4B2.2A$51.2A3.3BA3.A3.6B2.3B$52.A4.ABAB6.5B.A3B
A$49.3A5.B2A2B4.7BA4BA$49.A8.5B3.3B3A2.BABA.A$55.2AB2.5B.3BA2B4.A.ABA
B$50.B2.2B3A3.5B2.B.2B5.A4BA$49.2A2BA2BABA3.4B3.2BAB5.A3BA$49.2A2B2A2B
2A4.4B3.A.A5.3B$50.3B2A2.B6.4B3.A7.2A$50.3B12.4B$66.4B$67.4B$68.4B$69.
4B$70.4B$71.3BA$72.ABA$73.2A!
Whether this is what you meant by flexible or not, it'll have the same effect, so there's no need for any new technology here.
flexible guns have a ranking
Attachments
Screenshot 2026-09-29 17.45.21.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 94 times
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4623 Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am
Quote
1
Login to like this post
Post
by hotcrystal0 » Today, 7:16 pm
Temporary trans-boat with tail:
Code: Select all
#C [[ STOP 86 ]]
x = 11, y = 33, rule = B3/S23
2o3bo3b2o$obobobobobo$3b2ob2o17$4b2o$4b2o10$5bo$4b3o$3b2obo!
115 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.
Code: Select all
x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!