Golly bugs

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
aengmore
Posts: 30
Joined: June 24th, 2026, 11:11 pm

Re: Golly bugs

Post by aengmore »

NNlk05 wrote: June 30th, 2026, 2:37 am
aengmore wrote: June 29th, 2026, 10:12 pm I try to use the Windows version on my phone, and it failed :cry:
*snip*
Since Android is a version of Linux, maybe running the Linux version will be smoother.
Well, maybe I can try using Termux to run Linux version……but apparently it will be much more troublesome, probably with more technological difficulties and bugs :(
User avatar
NNlk05
Posts: 689
Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
Contact:

Re: Golly bugs

Post by NNlk05 »

For some reason, when I use nbsearch2a and stop it all the cells are in this weird greyed-out state that counts as dead:
2026-09-05_10-07.png
2026-09-05_10-07.png (110.71 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
https://nnlk05.github.io

=3
User avatar
Vort
Posts: 249
Joined: May 14th, 2024, 6:35 am

Re: Golly bugs

Post by Vort »

NNlk05 wrote: September 5th, 2026, 1:08 pm For some reason, when I use nbsearch2a and stop it all the cells are in this weird greyed-out state that counts as dead:
Looks like new layer was created. I suggest to try clicking Layer -> Delete Layer.
User avatar
iNoMed
Moderator
Posts: 776
Joined: August 29th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Golly bugs

Post by iNoMed »

I have a particularly major problem relating to Golly 1.5 for iPadOS: opening selection boxes at all (for attempting to paste a pattern into Golly, for selecting a pattern in an attempt to copy/clear/random fill (as the attachment demonstrates. In this, I am one tap away from crashing Golly by trying to copy the pattern), or selecting which copy method to use... but curiously NOT the menu that appears on overwriting an already existing saved file) crashes Golly consistently on iPadOS 27. This is serious enough that I have to bring this to attention immediately.
Attachments
IMG_8527.png
IMG_8527.png (306.55 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
4b2o3b2o3bo3b2ob2o3b2ob2o$2o2bobo3bo2bobobobobobobobobobo$obobo2bo2bob
o2bobo2bo2bobo3bobo$2bobo3bobobobo2bo5bobo3bobob2o$b2ob2o3b2ob2o3b2o3b
2ob2o3b2ob2o!
User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Posts: 1045
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 2:08 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Golly bugs

Post by Andrew »

I've updated my iPad to iOS 27 and can reproduce the paste crash. There are other crashes as well so I'll try to fix those soon and release a new version. Thanks for the report.
Use Glu or Glui to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife
User avatar
qqd
Posts: 622
Joined: September 10th, 2022, 4:24 pm
Location: In a superposition of multiple different locations.

Re: Golly bugs

Post by qqd »

I am not sure if this is intentional, but files with no extension cannot be viewed in the Files panel (this previously lead to the assumption that one of my files was deleted):
ScreenshotGollyFiles.png
ScreenshotGollyFiles.png (24.36 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Currently writing a utility in Lua that may be helpful for faster manual pattern manipulation.
User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Posts: 1045
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 2:08 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Golly bugs

Post by Andrew »

qqd wrote: September 18th, 2026, 2:30 am I am not sure if this is intentional, but files with no extension cannot be viewed in the Files panel ...
Must be a Windows quirk because I definitely see such files on macOS. Golly's code says to display all files.
Use Glu or Glui to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife
Post Reply