Jokes

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
snarks
Posts: 12
Joined: July 13th, 2026, 11:55 pm

Re: Jokes

Post by snarks »

Q:what's the bounding box of 1+1?
A: ♾️

Code: Select all

x = 26, y = 10, rule = Life
o15bo$o15bo$o8bo6bo$o8bo6bo3b6o$o8bo6bo$o5b7o3bo$o8bo6bo3b6o$o8bo6bo$o
8bo6bo$o15bo!
rotten snack...

Code: Select all

x = 18, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
5b2ob2ob2o$5bo3bob2o3bo$6b3o6bobo$14bobo$6b3o6bo$5bo3bob2o$6b4ob2o2$6b
4ob2o$6bo2bobobo$9bobobo$10b2obobo$14b2o2$2o$bo7b2o$bobo5b2o$2b2o7$4b
2o6b2o$5b2o5bo$4bo8b3o$15bo!
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

Has anyone investigated this OT rule? It seems really promising.

Code: Select all

x = 0, y = 0, rule = B3/S23
!
#C [[ RANDOMIZE ]]
It has four common spaceships, one c/4d, and three very similar c2/4 orthogonals. Do you think there's an infinite family of those c2/4s? Extending the spaceship by one more row doesn't work, though.

Code: Select all

x = 29, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
24b3o$15b3o6bo2bo$7b3o5bo2bo5bo$7bo2bo4bo8bo3bo$3o4bo7bo3bo4bo3bo$o6b
o7bo8bo$bo6bobo5bobo6bobo!
The most common oscillators are boring p2s, and a surprisingly large p3.

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 22, rule = B3/S23
15b2o$15b2o$3o3b3o4b2o$5b3o5b2o6$4b3o3b3o2$2bo4bobo4bo$2bo4bobo4bo$2b
o4bobo4bo$4b3o3b3o2$4b3o3b3o$2bo4bobo4bo$2bo4bobo4bo$2bo4bobo4bo2$4b3o
3b3o!
However, agpsearching revealed a rather sparky p15:

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2b6o$bo6bo$o8bo$bo6bo$2b6o!
So this rule might have some potential.

While apgsearching I also found two natural puffers:

Code: Select all

x = 149, y = 115, rule = B3/S23
5bo$o2bobo2bo3bo$o4b2ob5o$o3bo4bobo2$2b3o$3bo5$20b3o2$20bobo$21bo8b2o
$11bo18b2o$10bobo5bo$4b2o3b2ob2o2b2obo$4b2o9b2o$4b2o9b2o$5bobo$7bo3b2o
$11b2o25b2o$38b2o3$10b2o$10b2o131bo$135bobob2obo$135bo3b4o3b3o$135b2o
b2o2bo$16bobo124bo$143b3o$15bo6bo22b2o77b2o17b3o$14b2ob2o3bo22bobo76b
2o$15bobo4b3o3b3o15bo$16bo4bo5b2ob2o5b2o$21bo9bo5b2o$27b5o$24b3o2b2o$
25bo3bo$28b2o86b2o$24b2o2b2o86b2o$24bo2b2o97b3o$25b3o97b3obo$27b2o89b
o5b4obo7b2ob2obo$62b2o53b4o6b2o7b2o2b5o$62b2o52b2ob5o2b3o8bob3o2bo$116b
3o2bobobo12bo$108b2o7b2o3bob2o$51bo56b2o13bo$50bobo$37bo12b2o$36bobo97b
2o$36b2o98b2o$111b2o$111b2o13bo$126bo$46bo78bo$45bobo67b2o$45b2o68b2o
8b2o$123bobo2bo$123bo4bo$128bo$125b3o5$120b2o$120b2o$46b2o$45bo2bo$46b
2o$43bo$43bo$43bo2$45b3o3$48b2o$48b2o12$40b2o$40b2o7$36b2o$36b2o9$46b
2o$45bobo$45b2o!
I think we should investigate this rule more.
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
unname4798
Posts: 2568
Joined: July 15th, 2023, 10:27 am
Location: Near ConwayLife servers

Re: Jokes

Post by unname4798 »

TheWayOfTheCon wrote: August 7th, 2026, 11:18 am
Found a P4:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
3b3o$bob3o$obobo$o2bo$b2o! 
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

unname4798 wrote: August 7th, 2026, 2:45 pm Found a P4:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
3b3o$bob3o$obobo$o2bo$b2o! 
One-time reflector for the c/4d:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
o$b2o$2o3$4b2o$3bobo$4bo!
And this still life can eat it:

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
bo$2bo$3o3$5b2o$5bobo$7bo$7b2o!
Aaaand I just remembered this topic exists.
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

Failed period-100 glider gun (96 cells in minimum phase, compared to 246 for the current smallest):

Code: Select all

x = 47, y = 49, rule = R2,C2,S4,6-9,20,B7-9,18
13b2o$12bo2b2o$12bo3bo$12bo2b2o$12b2obo$13b3o$13bo6$27bo$25b3o$25bob2o
$24b2o2bo$24bo3bo$24b2o2bo$26b2o10$15b2o$14bo2b2o$12b2o4bo$14bo2b2o$14b
4o$16bo3$44b2o$43b4o$43bob2o$42bob2o$42bobo$2bo39bo$b4o$2o2bo41bo$o4b
2o37bobo$2o2bo38b2obo$2b2o38b2obo$42b4o$43b2o!
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

Oscillator? I hardly know her!
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1594
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Jokes

Post by otismo »

Why did the apple turn over ?

Because he saw the jelly roll . . .

<3
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
Ohhhhhhhhh
Posts: 146
Joined: August 19th, 2021, 5:56 am

Re: Jokes

Post by Ohhhhhhhhh »

I mean, it's supposed to eat, right?

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 31, rule = B3/S23
bo$2bo$3o2$5bo$6bo$4b3o5$23b2o$23b2o$25b2o$25b2o$21b6o$21b6o3$27b4o$
27b4o$27b2o$27b2o$29b6o$17b2o10b6o$18bo14b2o$15b3o15b2o$15bo10b2o$26bo
$27b3o$29bo!
Edit: check gen 92.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

something useless:

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-8,-6
x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o$9b2o$9b2o3$3o$2bo$bo!
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4636
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: Jokes

Post by hotcrystal0 »

This is from andrewthelifer on the Discord.
andrewthelifer wrote: two types of Lifenthusiasts:
-- luna1000, a transfem who lurks on Tumblr and debates whether men actually exist
-- James Scott, a grizzled 60 year old programmer who hung out with Conway in the 90s and mostly cares to do Life stuff
mods please don’t go after me I hope you aren’t interpreting “no jokes about other people” too strictly this doesn’t mention any specific users
111 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
Hunter
Posts: 44
Joined: July 10th, 2026, 4:44 pm

Re: Jokes

Post by Hunter »

TheWayOfTheCon wrote: August 7th, 2026, 11:18 am Has anyone investigated this OT rule? It seems really promising.

I think we should investigate this rule more.
No we shouldn't. This is clearly just a bad variation of Pedestrian Life. For example, Boe's ship:

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 10, rule = B38/S23
2bo$2bo$bo$b2o$o2bo$o5b2o$o3b4o$o4b2obo$o2bo2b3o$3o4bo!
Works the same here too.

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
2bo$2bo$bo$b2o$o2bo$o5b2o$o3b4o$o4b2obo$o2bo2b3o$3o4bo!
What would we even call it anyways? Pedestrian?
aka happyhunter :D :D :D
User avatar
LuveelVoom
Posts: 701
Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Re: Jokes

Post by LuveelVoom »

hotcrystal0 wrote: August 30th, 2026, 7:52 pm
andrewthelifer wrote: two types of Lifenthusiasts:
-- luna1000, a transfem who lurks on Tumblr and debates whether men actually exist
-- James Scott, a grizzled 60 year old programmer who hung out with Conway in the 90s and mostly cares to do Life stuff
But I'm neither of these, same for many other lifenthusiasts, so I think you need a third category for people who just f**k around in INT
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

LuveelVoom wrote: September 8th, 2026, 1:27 pm
But I'm neither of these, same for many other lifenthusiasts, so I think you need a third category for people who just f**k around in INT
I think they're just referring to lifeenthusiasts as in, people who focus on CGOL. Two types of OCA enthusiasts would be cool though.
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4636
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: Jokes

Post by hotcrystal0 »

From PK22 on the Discord:
PK22 wrote: 2126: Someone uses LLLLLLSSSSSSSSS to find a (704, 509)c/2752 spaceship and posts it as a "galbellawise c/2752gb" ship. Someone else points out that the suffix "gb" is already used for displacement (137,42) gamebirdwise ships.
111 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
User avatar
LuveelVoom
Posts: 701
Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Re: Jokes

Post by LuveelVoom »

LuveelVoom wrote: September 8th, 2026, 1:27 pm
hotcrystal0 wrote: August 30th, 2026, 7:52 pm
andrewthelifer wrote: two types of Lifenthusiasts:
-- luna1000, a transfem who lurks on Tumblr and debates whether men actually exist
-- James Scott, a grizzled 60 year old programmer who hung out with Conway in the 90s and mostly cares to do Life stuff
But I'm neither of these, same for many other lifenthusiasts, so I think you need a third category for people who just f**k around in INT
My new version:
LuveelVoom wrote: 5 types of lifenthusiasts:

(greek god/celestial object)(number), transfem, debates whether men actually exist, found a reaction used in 50% of conduits

(first letter of first name)(last name), grizzled 40-60 year old programmer, wrote a program everyone uses, either contributed nothing to other fields of math or a shit ton of stuff

(minecraft username), 14-24 years old, only explores int rules, sandbox thread where they throw random discoveries, 16 core computer but doesn’t realize you can multithread apgsearch

(random string of 3-6 characters), nobody knows anything about them, 50-100 forum posts and no discord account, every post is an extremely elaborate and complex construction at least 2 months ahead of the rest of the thread’s tech in a random rule and it’s their only post in that rule’s thread

(word vaguely resembling name), probably 80 years old, speaks weirdly, never posts any normal constructions, only posts elaborate life art but outputs it at an absurd pace for how complex it is
User avatar
NNlk05
Posts: 734
Joined: January 14th, 2026, 8:42 pm
Location: Exploring in the Jungle of the INT Rulespace
Contact:

Re: Jokes

Post by NNlk05 »

LuveelVoom wrote: September 10th, 2026, 2:01 pm (minecraft username), 14-24 years old, only explores int rules, sandbox thread where they throw random discoveries, 16 core computer but doesn’t realize you can multithread apgsearch
That's almost exactly me (18-core computer, but I do realize -p exists)
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 3, rule = B34twz/S23
b2o4b2o$obo4bobo$2bo4bo!
[[ AUTOSTART AUTOHIDEGUI TRACK 0 -47/270 ZOOM 4 GPS 45 STEP 3 THEME BOOK ]]
https://nnlk05.github.io

=3
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

Traveling t:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 2, rule = B3/S23-a5
3o$bo!
Traveling T:

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 8, rule = B3/S23-a5
b4ob4o$2obo3bob2o$2o7b2o$2b3ob3o2$3b5o$5bo$5bo!
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
User avatar
I6_I6
Posts: 1061
Joined: July 26th, 2025, 8:44 pm
Location: Here, there, somewhere, anywhere, everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Jokes

Post by I6_I6 »

TheWayOfTheCon wrote: September 21st, 2026, 3:09 pm Traveling t:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 2, rule = B3/S23-a5
3o$bo!
Traveling T:

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 8, rule = B3/S23-a5
b4ob4o$2obo3bob2o$2o7b2o$2b3ob3o2$3b5o$5bo$5bo!
More accurate:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 4, rule = B3aiy5i/S1e2e3i4i
bo$3o$bo$bo!

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 4, rule = B3aei5eiy/S02a3e4i5ey
3o$bo$bo$bo!

Code: Select all

#C [[ THEME Golly ]]
x = 27, y = 15, rule = LifeHistory
8.A$A6.A.A$3A4.BA2B.B2D$3.A4.2B.2B2DB$2.2A2.3B.6B2.3B$2.20B$4.19B$4.2B
C10BD4B$4.2B2C10BD4B$4.B2C11B2D3B$4.13B2D4B$5.12BD3B.B2A$6.13B3.BA.A$
6.3B.B3.B10.A$25.2A!
RuleEdit: A .rule file editing tool
Apersonthatexists
Posts: 9
Joined: December 10th, 2024, 9:52 am

Re: Jokes

Post by Apersonthatexists »

What a nice T-tetromino...

Code: Select all

x = 48, y = 32, rule = R4,C2,S9,14,16-17,21,23-24,30-31,37-38,44-45,51-52,58-59,B3,10,17,21,24,31,38,45,52,59,NW100010001000000000000000000000777000100707001000777000000000000000000000100010001
16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o
$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$16b16o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o
$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o$48o!
Even the pattern is surprised at what just happened
Apersonthatexists
Posts: 9
Joined: December 10th, 2024, 9:52 am

Re: Jokes

Post by Apersonthatexists »

hotcrystal0 wrote: August 30th, 2026, 7:52 pm
andrewthelifer wrote: types of Lifenthusiasts:
-- luna1000, a transfem who lurks on Tumblr and debates whether men actually exist
lifemthusiast
OCAfan55
Posts: 113
Joined: October 26th, 2025, 4:07 pm

Re: Jokes

Post by OCAfan55 »

Help I can't scan my QR code

Code: Select all

x = 24, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
7o2bo3b3ob7o$o5bob2o2bob2obo5bo$ob3obob3obo4bob3obo$ob3obobobo2b3obob
3obo$ob3obo2b3ob3obob3obo$o5bobo2b3o3bo5bo$7o2b2obo2bob7o$8bo2b4o$4bo
bo2bobo4b3ob4o$o3bob2obo3bob3o2bob2o$5obob3ob2o2b2obob2o$b3obo5bo2bo2b
o2bo2bo$2ob2o2bo2b3obo2bobob2o$b2o2b4o2bob3ob2o2bobo$3o3bob7ob3ob2obo
$4b2ob4obo2bo3b2o$10bobob2o3bo2bo$7obo2b2ob3ob2o2bo$o5bo2b2o2bo2b5ob2o
$ob3obo3bo2b5ob3o$ob3obobob4o2bo2bo$ob3obobo2b2obo2b2o2bobo$o5bobo2b2o
4b3o2b2o$7ob3ob4ob2o3bo!
[[ THEME INVERSE ]]
It's probably because of that glider in the bottom right

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B34ij5e6kn/S23-kn4nqtyz5j6a
$3bo$3bo$b3o6$10bo$9bobo$10bo!
I love unexpected catalysts
User avatar
speedydelete
Posts: 129
Joined: October 7th, 2025, 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Jokes

Post by speedydelete »

How suspicious...
apg wrote: June 13th, 2009, 4:07 pm
On Feb. 23, 2008, Dave Greene wrote:
Every sufficiently large and ancient B3/S23 universe observed so far
turns out to be full of this weird agar, which expands in all
directions through random ash at c/137. IceNine seems to absorb
blocks and blinkers particularly well, due to a complicated froth of
sparks at its front lines -- not generated by glider collisions, but
by a lucky accident of the agar's internal structure.

When the expanding front touches an active pattern that it can't
immediately annihilate, the pattern "dies back" a short distance at
near lightspeed, leaving behind a protective scattering of blocks;
behind the blocks the front stabilizes and starts expanding again.
Converging IceNine fronts usually cause small diebacks that stabilize
as small defects in an apparent quasicrystalline structure.

And before you all ask, my alternate-universe oscilloscope was
repossessed by the Outsiders the other day, so unfortunately I can't
lend it out. But there didn't seem to be anything but IceNine out
there anyway --
Screenshot 2026-10-02 170923.png
Screenshot 2026-10-02 170923.png (44.28 KiB) Viewed 185 times
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in certain rulespaces.
User avatar
yyh_baboon
Posts: 568
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 5:07 am
Location: on a spaceship

Re: Jokes

Post by yyh_baboon »

Look, flying pulsars!
rabbit wrote: October 2nd, 2026, 5:33 pm Per your own discovery by searching D4_+1, the 3c/14 is infinitely extensible:

Code: Select all

x = 48, y = 27, rule = B3/S23-q4i
3o17b3o17b3o$obo17bobo17bobo$3o17b3o17b3o3$6b2o18b2o18b2o$3o3b2o12b3o
3b2o12b3o3b2o$obo17bobo17bobo$3o3b2o12b3o3b2o12b3o3b2o$6b2o18b2o18b2o
2$26b2o18b2o$3o17b3o3b2o12b3o3b2o$obo17bobo17bobo$3o17b3o3b2o12b3o3b2o
$26b2o18b2o2$46b2o$20b3o17b3o3b2o$20bobo17bobo$20b3o17b3o3b2o$46b2o3$
40b3o$40bobo$40b3o!
Definitely not spam
P38 gun is constructed :) Now is P23 next?
Currently hand-searching spaceships.ÔvÔ

Code: Select all

 x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3aeiq4tz5j6i7e8/S2-ci3-aeky4cei5ain6acin78
3o$o2bo$3bo$b3o!
User avatar
J5L
Posts: 81
Joined: July 31st, 2026, 8:53 am
Location: Flower Garden

Re: Jokes

Post by J5L »

"Have you ever wanted a rule where the pi heptomino is actually a puffer? Yes? Presenting... B3/S23-c7c! Where the pi heptomino is a puffer!

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S23-c7c
3o$2bo$3o!
Go buy this at the nearest GoL store for 50% off!"
JayFiveEll.
Trying to complete the p17 pentadecathlon rephasal partial.
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4636
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: Jokes

Post by hotcrystal0 »

LuveelVoom wrote this one a while back on Discord, but it was never crossposted.
LuveelVoom wrote: "where is the hole?" is the question every (rule)golfer aspires to be the one to answer. Many have searched for the hole, and many have thought they have found the hole, but nobody really believes these are the hole and not just a deep dip on the course. Some people have tried to knock the ball out of the field, hoping to find a hole there, but have not been successful. Some have drilled their own holes, which is impressive given how dense the substrate of the course is, and some have claimed to have found the hole and ignore those who shout. Others try to scan the field with radars, or eliminate whole areas of the field, but someone will always come up with a divot in the field (unless, of course, it’s that one corner). Some suggest looking in easier courses, but we all agree that the hole there has been found. And yet, we still look for the hole.
111 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 343
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: Jokes

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

hotcrystal0 wrote: October 4th, 2026, 7:47 pm LuveelVoom wrote this one a while back on Discord, but it was never crossposted.
LuveelVoom wrote: "where is the hole?" is the question every (rule)golfer aspires to be the one to answer...
This perfectly captures the nature of the OCASphere.

Anyways, has anyone heard of the insane discovery made by Adam recently?
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

I think I've learned the ropes of cellular automata. My current interest is range-two LTLs.
Post Reply