how and when you discovered the game of life?

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
User avatar
get_Snacked
Posts: 542
Joined: August 20th, 2022, 10:51 pm

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by get_Snacked »

get_Snacked wrote: December 17th, 2023, 12:23 pm isn't it just the saddest thing when you don't remember?
yay! i remember now! but this isn't exactly when i discovered CGoL--rather when i discovered the conwaylife.com website.

in 6th grade i was abusing the fact that you can integrate "javascript:" into Chrome URLs to basically do anything on your school chromebook. i was doing this with a friend of mine in my geography class; then, i remembered something programming-related from a long, long time ago that i thought would be cool if i showed my friend. so i searched up "conway's game of life", and although he seemed to know about it and its corresponding Google easter egg, i didn't know that there was any easter egg, so i played with it for a bit.
when it was the end of the geography class, i moved to my next class, which had many more better friends of mine. to one of them, i remember calling the still lifes "houses" and the cells "people", which was a pretty educated guess for nomenclature, given how dumb it is today :?. (sadly, i don't think i stumbled upon a glider.) after messing around with the easter egg, i stopped using it and tried to click on playgameoflife.com; however, the website was blocked. so i waited until i came back home to try out the website.
when i got home, after i showered, the first thing i did was try out playgameoflife.com because i didn't have any homework to do. fun fact: i accidentally stumbled upon a predecessor of octagon 2 while making random scribbles, as well as a pulsar predecessor. anyways, i went and looked at the "dictionary" the website had and clicked on some patterns to see how they evolved, such as the first one, 101. but i thought it would be more complete and easier to navigate if i had looked at its source, called the Life Lexicon.
i'm pretty sure the Life Lexicon they used actually had a URL of "lifelexicon.com" or "playgameoflife.com/lifelexicon", which delayed me from making progress on finding this website. after a few days of using playgameoflife.com over and over, i decided to actually scroll down on the search page and look for more. and that second result was... conwaylife.com.
User avatar
pifricted
Posts: 1126
Joined: May 25th, 2024, 10:26 am
Location: Click here to set your location

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by pifricted »

Maybe I was bored and look for “games”, and I found CGoL?
pifricted wrote: July 10th, 2024, 9:54 am In 2023 winter, I knew there is "a wiki for CGoL", and viewed many pages.
In May,2024, I had a account. Then I posted my frist rule.
...is enjoying his teenage time.
User avatar
Resu
Posts: 817
Joined: May 23rd, 2025, 10:47 am
Location: UTC+14:00
Contact:

Re: How and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by Resu »

The first time I learned about CGOL was in 2023, through John Conway’s Wikipedia article. (I think I’ve read about a few years before, but didn’t look further)
The second time I found CGOL was when I was editing Wikipedia in 2024 and found Golly and LifeWiki.
The third time I found CGOL was in 2025, when I was trying to make a game of life simulator and finally decided to make an account for the forums.
And so probably so many other times that I’ve forgotten.
d binedrkfdrtgy
Posts: 50
Joined: June 25th, 2025, 3:31 am
Location: wandering in snowdin,dirtmouth or the dark world in my room

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by d binedrkfdrtgy »

when i'm <8 years old i discovered a video
finding this website is another story though
Last edited by d binedrkfdrtgy on September 2nd, 2025, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
T is my everything

my sandbox

Code: Select all

oo$
oobo$
obbo!
intresting
andrewthelifer
Posts: 29
Joined: August 20th, 2025, 3:56 pm

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by andrewthelifer »

I saw Michael Stevens of Vsauce mention it, played with it for some years then got into it seriously in 2019 with Golly and this site.
aka andrewthediscorder / andrewthebonfire / "andrewtheph33" (forgotten acct details)
CA semi-enthusiast
User avatar
hth3
Posts: 362
Joined: February 15th, 2025, 10:04 am
Location: The Sun

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by hth3 »

I had (and probably still have) an android game called sand:box which was basically just a particle sandbox with a lot of materials and one of them was "Conway's Game of Life", I once searched it up and found playgameoflife.com, I used it a lot, I even once rediscovered the clock and called it the cogwheel and was disappointed when I saw it already existed, and then I found this website when looking in the life lexicon but though this forum was just an expert community or what I thought of it to be, finally I started lurking on lifewiki and then created an account on both this forum and lifewiki, then I found golly and was part of this community for a while, in 2024 I quit because of personal reasons and boredom, then I joined again in 2025 and here I am.
Last edited by hth3 on December 1st, 2025, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't trust someone who misspells typset as typeset.
Contribute to CheckerLife!
Oppose KOSA now, save the internet!
The Sandboxer Sandbox (Discord server)
RIP Unname New Web
jayden678910
Posts: 642
Joined: November 12th, 2023, 10:21 am

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by jayden678910 »

The powder toy

Code: Select all

x = 28, y = 8, rule = B3/S23Super
2A.A2.A$2A.4A2$2A.2A8.2A8.2A$.A.A.A7.A.A7.A.A$.A23.A$2A3.A.A7.A.A7.A.
A$6.2A8.2A8.2A!
User avatar
I6_I6
Posts: 1046
Joined: July 26th, 2025, 8:44 pm
Location: Here, there, somewhere, anywhere, everywhere.
Contact:

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by I6_I6 »

The Google easter egg, when I was 11.

Code: Select all

#C [[ THEME Golly ]]
x = 27, y = 15, rule = LifeHistory
8.A$A6.A.A$3A4.BA2B.B2D$3.A4.2B.2B2DB$2.2A2.3B.6B2.3B$2.20B$4.19B$4.2B
C10BD4B$4.2B2C10BD4B$4.B2C11B2D3B$4.13B2D4B$5.12BD3B.B2A$6.13B3.BA.A$
6.3B.B3.B10.A$25.2A!
RuleEdit: A .rule file editing tool
User avatar
ennghallie-AJ
Posts: 23
Joined: August 17th, 2024, 1:07 am
Location: A safe hidden at the back of the computer in floor googol plus one of the conwaylife skyscraper
Contact:

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by ennghallie-AJ »

idk maybe
i only remember watching numberphile videos when i was yonger
???

Code: Select all

x = 18, y = 18, rule = B3/S23
2ob2obo2bo$bob2ob4o6b2o$bo13bobo$2ob4ob2o4bobo$3bo2bobobo2bobo$2obo2b
o2bo4bo$o2bob2o3b4o$b3obo$5bo4b4o$b3ob3o2bo2bo$o2bo4bobo$2obob3o2b2o4b
2o$3bobo4bo4bobo$3bobo6bobobo$4bo6b2ob2o$11bo$13b2obo$12b2ob2o!
User avatar
B468S02357
Posts: 462
Joined: December 30th, 2025, 9:23 pm

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by B468S02357 »

jayden678910 wrote: November 10th, 2025, 4:24 pm The powder toy
Me too
I was born on march 23 (3/23). I was destined to be here, and here i am.
Check out my bird-brained biblioraphy if you're interested.
Big fan of crawler ships
User avatar
TheWayOfTheCon
Posts: 314
Joined: March 28th, 2025, 11:40 pm
Location: Kraken Mare, Titan

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by TheWayOfTheCon »

I first got truly interested in the Game of Life when I saw this game on Scratch in March 2025.

The earliest I remember hearing about it was from this YouTube video which I'm pretty sure I watched the year it was released, which was 2020. At that time I didn't understand the Game of Life too well so I wasn't interested in it. I was 10, so that's not much of a surprise to me.
I could've chose a better username, but oh well.

Still learning the ropes of cellular automata, focused on one OCA at a time. My current interest is B35/S126 and range-two LTLs.
OCAfan55
Posts: 112
Joined: October 26th, 2025, 4:07 pm

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by OCAfan55 »

Last year, I was watching random videos about evolution simulators unrelated to life. One video (that I cannot pinpoint) mentioned CGoL, and I found this website shortly after and got my account, OCAfan55. Without that one video, there would be dozens less useless posts.

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B34ij5e6kn/S23-kn4nqtyz5j6a
$3bo$3bo$b3o6$10bo$9bobo$10bo!
I love unexpected catalysts
User avatar
B468S02357
Posts: 462
Joined: December 30th, 2025, 9:23 pm

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by B468S02357 »

Sam hogan made a 0-player game where tiles can fight with different zoooids. He showed cgol as an example of a 0-player game
I was born on march 23 (3/23). I was destined to be here, and here i am.
Check out my bird-brained biblioraphy if you're interested.
Big fan of crawler ships
User avatar
b-engine
Posts: 3762
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 4:11 am
Location: Somewhere on where Earth At
Contact:

Re: how and when you discovered the game of life?

Post by b-engine »

B468S02357 wrote: April 5th, 2026, 4:22 pm Sam hogan made a 0-player game where tiles can fight with different zoooids.
Otherwise known as Cell Machine.
This thing accidentally spawned tons of mods and remakes and even a community.
Post Reply