Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gameoflifeboy »

gmc_nxtman wrote:A variant of "cuphook" billiard table oscillator: (from D8_1)
Another variant, this time from C1:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
bbbobooooboooooo$
boooooobboooobbb$
oobbbooobbooobbo$
obobooboobobbboo$
bobbbbobbobooobo$
bboooobboooboooo$
ooboobbobbbooboo$
obbbbbbbbbbobooo$
oobooboobobobobb$
obobobooobobobbb$
ooooboobbboooobo$
bobbooboobboboob$
ooobboobbbbbobbo$
bboobooobbbbbobo$
boobbbobbboboobb$
obbobbbbbbboooob!
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Probably useless synthesis component:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 14, rule = 23/3
2bo$obo$b2o4$11b2o$6b2obo2bo$5bobob3o$2bo2bobo$2b4ob3o$6bo3bo$4bobo2b
2o$4b2o!
Also probably useless (beacon -> boat -> ship):

Code: Select all

x = 15, y = 16, rule = 23/3
6bo$4b3o$3bo$3bob2o$2b2obo6bo$8bo3bobo$7b2o3b2o4$5b2o4b2o$4bobo4bobo$
6bo4bo$b2o$obo$2bo!
Also, loaves can apparently be used as boat-bits, as long as two gliders come in at the same time:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o2$2bo$obo$b2o3$10b2o$9bo2bo$9bobo$10bo!
Way to make a block and dock from loaf + junk(found by hand):

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
2b3o$2bobo$2bob2o$4bo$2b3o$3b2o$2b2obo$3b3o3$bo$obo$o2bo$b2o!
Way to make a beehive at beehive from Butterfly + Junk(also found by hand):

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
2o$obo$3b3o$3b3obo$5b2o2bo$7bobo$3bo5bo$3bo2b2o$4bo3$11bo$10b3o$9b2o$
9bo!
Found a 6-tube pattern reminiscent of the logarithmic growing ships from highlife:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 33, rule = B3/S23:T6,0
6o7$2b2o$2b2o3$2b2o$2b2o3$2b2o$2b2o3$2b2o$2b2o3$2b2o$2b2o3$2b2o$2b2o3$
2b2o$2b2o!
Also, x66 can push two blocks:

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
10bo$8b2o$2o6bo2b3o2bo$2o6bo4b3o$9b3o2b2o2$9b3o2b2o$2o6bo4b3o$2o6bo2b
3o2bo$8b2o$10bo!
What actually were the "wake", "ten", and "syringe"? What were there RLE's? Also, syringe.png got deleted.
Last edited by gmc_nxtman on July 5th, 2015, 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gameoflifeboy »

gmc_nxtman wrote:What actually were the "wake", "ten", and "syringe"?
Non-notable methuselahs whose articles were deleted. The "syringe" (not to be confused with the glider-to-Herschel mechanism discovered in 2015 with the same name) can be viewed here: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/File:Syringe.png
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by M. I. Wright »

A glider can flip a loaf from the right angle. Useless, but fun to watch.

Code: Select all

x = 69, y = 43, rule = B3/S23
23b2o$23bo2bo$9bobo15bo6b2o$7bo3bo2b3o10bo6b2o$2o5bo19bo$2o4bo4bo7b2o
2bo2bo$7bo7bobo2bo2b2o$7bo3bo5b3o$9bobo3$26bo$27bo$25b3o4$32bo$31bobo$
30bo2bo$31b2o$35bo$34b2o$34bobo6$42b2o$41b2o$43bo3$57bo$50b2obo3b4o$
44b2o2b2obobo4b4o$43bobo2b2obob2o3bo2bo5b2o$42b3o8b2o3b4o5b2o$33b2o6b
3o8b2o3b4o$33b2o7b3o12bo$43bobo$44b2o!
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Have a look at this eater:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
2bo$obo$b2o$5b2o$4bo2bo2b2o$4bobo4bo2bo$5bo5bobobo$8b2obo2bo$8bo2bo$5b
o4bo$5b5o2$7bo$6bobo$7bo!
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

M. I. Wright wrote:A glider can flip a loaf from the right angle. Useless, but fun to watch.

Code: Select all

x = 69, y = 43, rule = B3/S23
23b2o$23bo2bo$9bobo15bo6b2o$7bo3bo2b3o10bo6b2o$2o5bo19bo$2o4bo4bo7b2o
2bo2bo$7bo7bobo2bo2b2o$7bo3bo5b3o$9bobo3$26bo$27bo$25b3o4$32bo$31bobo$
30bo2bo$31b2o$35bo$34b2o$34bobo6$42b2o$41b2o$43bo3$57bo$50b2obo3b4o$
44b2o2b2obobo4b4o$43bobo2b2obob2o3bo2bo5b2o$42b3o8b2o3b4o5b2o$33b2o6b
3o8b2o3b4o$33b2o7b3o12bo$43bobo$44b2o!
I actually made a p30 oscillator with the same reaction some time ago, here is the post

Code: Select all

x = 75, y = 47, rule = B3/S23
24bo$22bobo$12b2o6b2o12b2o$11bo3bo4b2o12b2o$2o8bo5bo3b2o$2o8bo3bob2o4b
obo$10bo5bo7bo$11bo3bo$12b2o$23bo$24b2o$23b2o6$30bobo$31b3o$31b5o$33bo
2bo$33bobo$34bo5$43bo$42b2o$42bobo6$50b2o$49b2o$51bo$61b2o$59bo3bo$50b
o7bo5bo$50bobo4b2obo3bo8b2o$53b2o3bo5bo8b2o$39b2o12b2o4bo3bo$39b2o12b
2o6b2o$50bobo$50bo!
jarring cyan
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

The "extreme" hivenudger:

Code: Select all

x = 44, y = 84, rule = B3/S23
26b5o$26bo4bo7b2o$26bo11b2ob3o$27bo9b2ob4o$29b2o3b2ob2o2b2o$31bo4bo2bo
$32bobobobo$33bo$33bo$32bobobobo$31bo4bo2bo$29b2o3b2ob2o2b2o$18b4o5bo
9b2ob4o$18bo3bo3bo11b2ob3o$18bo7bo4bo7b2o$19bo2bo3b5o2$23b2o$23b2o$23b
2o2$10b4o5bo2bo3b4o5bo2bo$10bo3bo3bo7bo3bo3bo$10bo7bo3bo3bo7bo3bo$11bo
2bo3b4o5bo2bo3b4o2$15b2o14b2o$15b2o14b2o$15b2o14b2o2$11bo2bo3b4o5bo2bo
3b6o$10bo7bo3bo3bo7bo5bo$10bo3bo3bo7bo3bo3bo$10b4o5bo2bo3b4o5bo4bo$37b
2o2$33b5obo$8b8o17bo5bo$8bo7bo16bo5bo$8bo25bo$9bo6bo2$7bo10bo$6bo$6bo
11bo$6b12o4$4b16o$4bo15bo$4bo$5bo14bo2$7bo10bo$6bo$6bo11bo$6b12o4$8b8o
$8bo7bo$8bo$9bo6bo2$6o5bo2bo$o5bo3bo$o9bo3bo$bo4bo3b4o$3b2o$7b2o$7b2o$
7b2o$4bo$2bo3bo3b6o$bo8bo5b2o$bo4bo3bo5bob2o$b5o5bo3bo$13bo$12b2o$11b
4o$10b2ob2o$11b2o!
jarring cyan
____________________
Posts: 1
Joined: July 9th, 2015, 5:04 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by ____________________ »

I have recently been looking at 2xN patterns of 50% density; that is, there is one cell per column. All the 2x2 patterns die from low population. Only one 2x3 pattern survives: the blinker. Before I tell you about 2x4, I noticed that the patterns can be expressed with binary, as such:

Code: Select all

101010111100101
O.O.O.OOOO..O.O
.O.O.O....OO.O.
Now for 2x4. Two patterns create a beehive, namely 1111 and 0000. Blocks are common here; 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, their reflections and their inverses all create blocks. 1000 dies out.
User avatar
Billabob
Posts: 160
Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 5:28 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Billabob »

____________________ wrote:I have recently been looking at 2xN patterns of 50% density; that is, there is one cell per column. All the 2x2 patterns die from low population. Only one 2x3 pattern survives: the blinker. Before I tell you about 2x4, I noticed that the patterns can be expressed with binary, as such:

Code: Select all

101010111100101
O.O.O.OOOO..O.O
.O.O.O....OO.O.
Now for 2x4. Two patterns create a beehive, namely 1111 and 0000. Blocks are common here; 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, their reflections and their inverses all create blocks. 1000 dies out.
Most 2x6 patterns produce ponds, in the same way as blocks. I like your username, by the way. :D
▄▀
▀▀▀
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by mniemiec »

____________________ wrote:I have recently been looking at 2xN patterns of 50% density; that is, there is one cell per column.
That does not necessarily follow. While the reverse is true (i.e. in any 2xN pattern, if there is one cell per column, the density is 50%), the above statement is not always true. Consider the following 2x4 counter-example:

Code: Select all

o.o.
o..o
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

Does this pass as a notable methuselah?

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
4bo$b2obo$2bobo$b2o$2o!
It has a lifespan of 962 generations and a final population of 180, here is the debris:
-2 Gliders
-2 Traffic Lights
-10 Blinkers (Excluding traffic lights)
-11 Blocks
-1 Boat
-1 Ship-Tie
-1 Ship (Excluding ship-tie)
-1 Loaf
-7 Beehives
jarring cyan
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by dvgrn »

Saka wrote:Does this pass as a notable methuselah?

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
4bo$b2obo$2bobo$b2o$2o!
It has a lifespan of 962 generations and a final population of 180...
Unfortunately, not really. There should be thousands of 5x5 patterns that last longer than 962 ticks, if nothing else then just because there are lots of immediate ancestors of the R-pentomino that take a few more than 1103 ticks to stabilize.

5x5 is an easy size to run an exhaustive test on, since there are only 33554432 different 5x5 patterns, including rotations and reflections. 5x5 patterns with ten cells or less is an even smaller group. I seem to recall a search along these lines was run back in the 1990s sometime; any interesting results would be in the LifeWiki link above.
User avatar
simsim314
Posts: 1828
Joined: February 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by simsim314 »

@dvgrn It becomes tedious to explain to every newcomer that they didn't found the greatest methuselah of all times. Maybe we should post some sort of general guidelines for the posts?

I mean I can understand every newcomer that finds pretty rare long living pattern because they're pretty rare and easy to spot (you just wait for too long), and thinks it's some sort of undiscovered methuselah. We should post some general information about posting rules.

I think methuselahs are generally not notable, and the chances someone will spot some crazy 100M generation 11 cells methuselah in 10x10 box without any special search utility are extremely low. They usually just post another few Ks methuselah.
User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gameoflifeboy »

I recently used a hacked version of apgsearch v0.52 to search all 5x5 or smaller soups, including rotations and reflections of the same soup. Here were the results:

Code: Select all

xs4_33 (Block) 56504376
xp2_7 (Blinker) 50203882
xs6_696 (Beehive) 27814660
xq4_153 (Glider) 16845400
xs7_2596 (Loaf) 7140396
xs5_253 (Boat) 6746608
xs6_356 (Ship) 5323566
xs8_6996 (Pond) 2803188
xs4_252 (Tub) 1217711
xs7_25ac (Long boat) 478180
xs12_g8o653z11 (Ship-tie) 418736
xp2_7e (Toad) 274344
xs14_g88m952z121 (Bi-loaf 1) 147168
xp2_318c (Beacon) 92564
xs6_25a4 (Barge) 78084
xp3_co9nas0san9oczgoldlo0oldlogz1047210127401 (Pulsar) 50552
xs8_69ic (Mango) 40760
xq4_6frc (Lightweight spaceship) 15456
xs7_178c (Eater 1) 15328
xs8_25ak8 (Long barge) 11502
xs14_69bqic (Paperclip) 10312
xs10_g8o652z01 (Boat-tie) 8412
xs6_39c (Aircraft carrier) 6672
xs16_g88m996z1221 (Bi-pond) 4574
xs14_g88b96z123 (Big S) 3968
xs8_35ac (Long ship) 3084
xs6_bd (Snake) 2704
xs10_35ako (Long long ship) 2434
xs9_4aar (Hat) 2392
xq4_27dee6 (Middleweight spaceship) 2256
xs8_3pm (Shillelagh) 1840
xp15_4r4z4r4 (Pentadecathlon) 1600
xq4_27deee6 (Heavyweight spaceship) 1208
xs9_31ego (Integral sign) 1132
xs14_6is079c (Cis-rotated hook) 1008
xs14_6970796 (Cis-mirrored R-bee) 732
xs14_39e0e93 (Bookends) 712
xs9_25ako (Long long boat) 668
xs9_178ko (Trans-boat with tail) 640
xs12_raar (Table on table) 592
xs14_69bo8a6 (Fourteener) 584
xs11_g8o652z11 (Boat-ship-tie) 544
xs15_354cgc453 (Moose antlers) 496
xs8_312ko (Canoe) 380
xs16_j1u0696z11 (Beehive and dock) 296
xs16_259e0e952 (Cis-mirrored R-loaf) 288
xs10_69ar (Loop) 272
xs18_rhe0ehr (Dead spark coil) 256
xs10_32qr (Block on table) 224
xs17_2ege1ege2 (Twin hat) 200
xs20_3lkkl3z32w23 (Mirrored dock) 188
xs7_3lo (Long snake) 148
xs8_178k8 (Tub with tail) 136
xs11_ggm952z1 (Trans-loaf with tail) 136
xs15_3lkm96z01 (Bee hat) 120
xs14_g8o0e96z121 (Trans-rotated R-bee) 88
xs13_2530f96 (Cis-boat and cap) 80
xp2_2a54 (Clock) 80
xs11_69lic (Loaf siamese loaf) 74
xs17_2ege1t6zx11 (Hat fuse paperclip) 72
xs11_g0s453z11 (Elevener) 72
xs12_178br (Block and two tails) 68
xs12_0ggm96z32 (Beehive with nine) 64
xs10_178kk8 (Beehive with tail) 56
xs13_g8ge96z121 (Beehive on R-bee) 48
xs14_j1u066z11 (Block and dock) 40
xs13_2560uic (Trans-boat and cap) 40
xs14_69la4ozx11 (Barge siamese loaves) 40
xs12_178c453 (Eater siamese eater) 32
xs15_25960uic (Para-loaf and cap) 32
xs9_178kc (Cis-boat with tail) 24
xs8_32qk (Hook with tail) 24
xs15_4a9raic (Bent paperclip) 24
xs9_25a84c (Tub with long tail) 24
xs13_259mge2 (Loaf bend tail) 24
xs12_2egm96 (Beehive bend tail) 24
xs12_330f96 (Block and cap) 24
xp2_31ago (Bipole) 20
xs16_69bob96 (Symmetric scorpion) 16
xs10_g0s252z11 (Integral with tub) 16
xs15_j1u06a4z11 (Cis-boat and dock) 16
xs9_g0g853z11 (Long canoe) 16
xs11_178jd (11-loop) 16
xs10_3542ac (Long integral) 16
xs11_2ege13 (Hungry hat) 16
xs18_8ehlmzw12452 (Mango scorpion) 16
xs18_c4o0ehrz321 (Rotated house) 12
xs14_3lmge2z01 (Ship and two tails) 12
xs13_32qb96 (Head) 8
xs12_2egm93 (Snorkel loop) 8
xs14_2egu156 (Long coil with tail) 8
yl144_1_16_afb5f3db909e60548f086e22ee3353ac (Block-laying switch engine) 8
xs10_0drz32 (Carrier siamese snake) 8
xs19_69bo7pic (19.31603) 8
xs14_69e0eic (Trans-mirrored R-bee) 8
xs11_3586246 (Inflected snake) 8
xs16_j1u0uiz11 (Table and dock) 8
xs12_0ggs252z32 (Gull with tub) 8
xs16_69egmiczx1 (Scorpion) 8
xs12_330fho (Trans-block and long hook) 8
xs10_4al96 (Loaf siamese barge) 4
xs13_2lmge2z01 (Boat and two tails) 4
xs12_o4q552z01 (Beehive at beehive) 4
xs14_4a9m88gzx121 (Bi-loaf 2) 4
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Do you have access to some of the sample soups? I'm interested in clock, bi-loaf 2, and block-laying switch engine.
User avatar
Lewis
Posts: 337
Joined: March 17th, 2009, 5:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Lewis »

I'm guessing that two of the the bi-loaf 2 soups were rotations of this:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
3o$2o$o3bo$3b2o$2b3o!
and that the switch engine came from this (from here):

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
3obo$o$3b2o$b2obo$obobo!
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Unrelated: does anyone have access to a P92 edgeshooter? Kinda silly question, but I need one for my next gun and putting a filter on a P46 edgeshooter doesn't work because 46 and 8 don't LCM at 92.

EDIT I need to be more clear. I need to fire the following salvos:

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
18bo$18bobo$18b2o$7bo$o4b2o$obo3b2o$2o$12bo$12bobo$12b2o!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Extrementhusiast »

gmc_nxtman wrote:Unrelated: does anyone have access to a P92 edgeshooter? Kinda silly question, but I need one for my next gun and putting a filter on a P46 edgeshooter doesn't work because 46 and 8 don't LCM at 92.
So, something like this?

Code: Select all

x = 41, y = 77, rule = B3/S23
14b2o$13bo$2o10bo2b2o10b2o$2o10bo2bo11b2o$12bobo$13b2o2$13b2o9b2o$12bo
bo7b2o3bo$2o10bo2bo6bo4bo$2o10bo2b2o5b2o3bo$13bo10b2o$14b2o2$31b3o3b3o
$30bo2bo3bo2bo$30b2obo3bob2o6$18b2o5b2o$18b2o5b2o9$31b2o5b2o$18bo7bo4b
2o5b2o$17bo2bo3bo2bo$21bobo$21bobo$21bobo$17bo2bo3bo2bo$18b3o3b3o5$28b
o3b2o$27bo5bo$26bo6bo$28bob2o$36b2o$18b2o16b2o$18b2o13$28b3o5b3o$28b3o
5b3o$29b2o5b2o$31bo3bo$29bo2bobo2bo$28bo3bobo3bo$29bo2bobo2bo$29b3o3b
3o5$29b2o5b2o$29b2o5b2o!
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Thanks, but... clearance issues seem to be a neverending problem for me :oops: Moving the gun back didn't help, and moving the gun forward works, but fires the wrong salvo. I think that I am overlooking something again.

I think I may have a way to solve the problem, as the salvos don't necessarily need to be so close, just need to be on those lanes, but I haven't revealed the context of it yet. I will later, and I will look into the second solution for sure.

What I mean is that, in the two salvos I presented, the gliders need not be optimally close behind each other. They just need to have the same offset in terms of flight path / lanes and the distance of gliders between the two salvos can be lengthened but as long as it's the same distance and less than 184. This code:

Code: Select all

x = 31, y = 12, rule = B3/S23
22bo$o19bobo$b2o18b2o$2o5$30bo$13bo14bobo$11bobo15b2o$12b2o!
is equivalent to this code:

Code: Select all

x = 27, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
22bo$o19bobo$b2o18b2o$2o$26bo$9bo14bobo$7bobo15b2o$8b2o!
However, the maximum length possible between the two gliders in each salvo must be less than 184 generations apart on different lanes.
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Extrementhusiast »

gmc_nxtman wrote:Thanks, but... clearance issues seem to be a neverending problem for me :oops: Moving the gun back didn't help, and moving the gun forward works, but fires the wrong salvo. I think that I am overlooking something again.
Well, if edgeshooting doesn't work, then reflection certainly does, and even at p46:

Code: Select all

x = 122, y = 237, rule = B3/S23
121bo$119b2o$120b2o4$6bo$4bobo$5b2o4$108bobo$108b2o$109bo3$17bo$18bo$
16b3o4$98bo$96b2o$97b2o4$29bo$27bobo$28b2o4$85bobo$85b2o$86bo3$40bo$
41bo$39b3o4$75bo$73b2o$74b2o4$52bo$50bobo$51b2o9$70b2o$70b2o8$63b3o3b
3o$62bo2bo3bo2bo$62b2obo3bob2o16$63b2o5b2o$63b2o5b2o33$88bo$88bobo$88b
2o9$77bo$76bo$76b3o10$65bo$65bobo$65b2o9$54bo$53bo$53b3o8$17b2o$2o15bo
bo7b2o$2o17bo7b2o13bo$17b3o22bobo$42b2o3$17b3o$2o17bo$2o15bobo$17b2o
10$37b3o$37bo$38bo9$49b2o$49bobo$49bo10$60b3o$60bo$61bo9$72b2o$72bobo$
72bo10$83b3o$83bo$84bo!
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Thank you very, very much! With that, I present to you.... my first "real" gun! It's big, unoptimized and has an enormous bounding box. I'll improve it tomorrow. It shoots HWSS on LWSS. I have not seen a gun to shoot such spaceships, so here it is. I have built LWSS, MWSS, and HWSS guns but don't count them.

Code: Select all

x = 270, y = 128, rule = B3/S23
43bo5bo$38b2o2b2o5b2o2b2o$38bo15bo$43bo5bo$42b3o3b3o$41b2o2bobo2b2o$
41b2ob2ob2ob2o$44b2ob2o150b2o5b2o$42bobo3bobo144b2o2bo7bo2b2o$41bo2bo
3bo2bo143bo15bo$44bo3bo$41bobo5bobo122b2o$42bo7bo124bo4$199b2o5b2o$
199b2obobob2o$199bo2bobo2bo$199b3o3b3o2$167bo7bo$168bobobobo$168bobobo
bo$31b2o134bob2ob2obo$31bo18bo116b2o5b2o$49b2o2$45bo$46b2o$45b2o$217b
2o$199bo18bo$199b2o$32bo5bo$31b3o3b3o$31bob2ob2obo163bo2bo$33b2ob2o
118b2o46b2o$33b2ob2o49bo68bo12bo5bo$33b2ob2o48bo2bo6b2o70bobo3b2o34b3o
3b3o$73b2o10b5o5b3obo70b2o38bo2bobo2bo$48b2o23bo10b2ob3o4bo4b3o66bob2o
37bo3bobo3bo$44b2obo2bobo32bob2o6b3obo69b2o38b4o3b4o$44bo4bo2b2o32b2o
8b2o71bo40bo7bo$48bo$47bo38b2o69bo5bo$85bob2o67b3o3b3o$84b2ob3o11bo53b
o2b2ob2o2bo$27bo15bo41b5o10b2o53b3o5b3o34b2o$27b2o2bo7bo2b2o42bo2bo
106bo3b2o2b2o$31b2o5b2o47bo108b2o2bo2bobo$202b3o$202b2o2$170bo2bo$169b
o3b2o2b2o27bo15bo$31b2o5b2o129bo8bo27b2o2bo7bo2b2o$27b2o2bo7bo2b2o126b
4o20b2o14b2o5b2o$27bo15bo151bo3$212b2o5b2o$48bo3bo155b2o2bo7bo2b2o$44b
2o2b2o3bo154bo15bo$44bo8bo110bo$49b4o110b2o$32bo5bo$31bobo3bobo216b2o$
30bo3bobo3bo216bo$30bo3bobo3bo$30bo9bo$50bo116bo19bo7bo$31b2o5b2o10b2o
115bobo17b2o5b2o$49bobo115b2o18b3o3b3o16b3o3b3o$91bo97b2ob2o18bo2bobo
2bo$92b2o4bo90bo3bo18b2obobob2o$37bo53b2o3bobo87b2o7b2o15b2o5b2o$38b2o
57b2o87b2o7b2o$36bo3bo120bo28bobo$36bo3bo120bobo22bo2bo3bo2bo54bo3bo$
37b3o9b2o110b2o24b3o3b3o56bobo$31bo18bo163b2ob2o33bobo$31b2o179bo2bobo
2bo31bobo$212bobo3bobo27bo2bo3bo2bo$187bo20bo3b3o3b3o28b3o3b3o$187b2o
12b2o4b3o9b2o$201bo4bo3bo8b2o$206b2ob2o8b2o$42b3o3b3o155b2ob2o$42bo2bo
bo2bo$41bo3bobo3bo154b2ob2o3b2o$41b4o3b4o154b2ob2o3bo$42bo7bo155bo3bo$
207b3o57b2o$208bo40b2o17bo$250bo2$261bo5bo$254b2o4b3o3b3o$254bo5bob2ob
2obo$259b2o7b2o$201bo7bo49b2o7b2o$200b4o3b4o4bo2bo40b3o5b3o$200bo3bobo
3bo3bo3b2o2b2o37b3ob3o$38bo15bo146bo2bobo2bo4bo8bo39bobo$38b2o2bo7bo2b
2o146b3o3b3o5b4o41bo2bobo2bo$8b2o32b2o5b2o208bo2bo3bo2bo$9bo250b2o5b2o
$9bobo$10b2o185bo15bo$14b4o179b2o2bo7bo2b2o37bo2bo$14bo3bo182b2o5b2o
36b2o2b2o3bo$14bo231bo8bo$15bo235b4o2$bo13bo183bo$2o12bo183bo$2bo11bo
5bo177bo5bo38b2o$14b6o178b6o39bo$242b2o2b3o$242bo3bob3o17bo$2b2o238b2o
bo4bo16b2o$2b2o231b2o7bobo$235bobo2bo4bob2o$236bo3b3obo3bo$242b3o2b2o$
247bo$246b2o!
Also, I think this is the smallest possible variant of the eater2:

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
$b2o$bo2b2o$2b2ob3o$8bo$2b2ob3o$2b2obo!
I also have a problem with the standard p46 shuttle stabilizations:

Code: Select all

x = 58, y = 57, rule = B3/S23
20bo$19bobo$13b2o3bo3bo$13b2o3b5o$17bobobobo$18bo3bo2$18bo3bo$17bobobo
bo$18b5o$18bo3bo$19bobo$20bo6$12b3o5b3o$11b2ob2o3b2ob2o$11b2obobobobob
2o$12bo3bobo3bo$12bo2bo3bo2bo$13b3o3b3o5$2b2o$2b2o4b3o9b2o$20b2o$7bo3b
o$7bo3bo$8bobo4b2o$8b3o4b2o4$41bo3bo$40bo5bo9b2o$2bo7bo35bo9b2o$ob2o5b
2obo19bo8bo3b2o$o3b2ob2o3bo17b3o9b3o$bo3bobo3bo17bo$2b3o3b3o19b3o9b3o$
32bo8bo3b2o$46bo$40bo5bo$41bo3bo$32bobo3b2o$33b2o2bobo$33bo5bo4$2b2o$
2b2o!
Even GIGs and edge shooters don't work!

Code: Select all

x = 25, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
3$9bo$7bobo$8b2o2$14bo$13bo$13bo3bo$4b2o7b4o$3bobo$5bo!
Trying to create this salvo:

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
7bo$5bobo$2bo3b2o$obo$b2o!
I suppose there isn't some collection of clean reactions to produce closely-spaced gliders, right?? I'm learning the basics of creating guns, my next project is an x66 gun. But this is one of the toughest salvos for me to create yet!
Space constraints seem to be the worst problem for me.
User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gameoflifeboy »

Lewis wrote:I'm guessing that two of the the bi-loaf 2 soups were rotations of this:
The other two were rotations of this:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
bo$2obo$2bo$bob2o$3bo!
gmc_nxtman wrote:Do you have access to some of the sample soups? I'm interested in clock, bi-loaf 2, and block-laying switch engine.
Most of the clock-producing "soups" were a clock from the beginning, sometimes with an extra cell added in a corner.
The most interesting soups received a score of 22 (LWSS, MWSS, and pulsar), and were transformations of this:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
ob3o$4bo$o2b2o$ob3o$2o!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Extrementhusiast »

gmc_nxtman wrote: Trying to create this salvo:

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
7bo$5bobo$2bo3b2o$obo$b2o!
I suppose there isn't some collection of clean reactions to produce closely-spaced gliders, right?? I'm learning the basics of creating guns, my next project is an x66 gun. But this is one of the toughest salvos for me to create yet!
Space constraints seem to be the worst problem for me.
Done, again working at p46:

Code: Select all

x = 90, y = 104, rule = B3/S23
2bo$obo$b2o9$13bo$14bo$12b3o10$25bo$23bobo$24b2o9$36bo$37bo$35b3o5$71b
2o$61b2o7bobo15b2o$61b2o7bo17b2o$70b3o2$48bo$46bobo$47b2o21b3o$70bo17b
2o$70bobo15b2o$71b2o4$52bo$52b2o$51bobo10$40b2o$41b2o$40bo9$29bo$29b2o
$28bobo10$17b2o$18b2o$17bo9$6bo$6b2o$5bobo!
You might want to look at p46tech-gturn.lif (in the jslife collection), p46racetrack.rle (included with Golly), metapixel-galaxy.mc.gz (included with Golly), and perhaps this thread (although it's shorter than I would like).
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

Oops! Sorry!
jarring cyan
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

P3 oscillator?

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$bo2bo$ob3o$obo$b2ob3o$4bo2bo$4bobo$5bo!
Looks similar to trice tongs.

EDIT very similar:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
o$5o$b4o!
Post Reply