confocaloid wrote: January 18th, 2025, 7:09 am
IIRC there should be no additional whitespace anywhere, and the switch statement should be placed in a separate helper template...
Yup, I tried a couple more variants immediately after the initial edit. Whitespace seems to be fine in many places (e.g., in the switch statement) but
leading whitespace is definitely a problem -- for obvious reasons when I thought about it, since MediaWiki interprets leading whitespace as a request for a quoted-text block.
Is there a way to preview the effects of a template-page edit, without making those effects visible to everyone? I figured as long as I didn't stop editing for more than a few minutes, and as long as I said things like "try" in the edit summaries, it would be clear that I intended to quickly fix any obvious problems like this, so nobody would worry.
If no one else gets to it first, I'll figure out the "separate helper template" as soon as there's more than one place where this substitution needs to be made. Right now the substitution is only happening in the "Stilllife" template.
I've gone through the sixteen category pages and included links to more relevant information in each one:
Code: Select all
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_n_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_-c_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_-e_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_/_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_.c_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_.e_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_.k_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_%2Bc_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_%2Be_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_%2Bk_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_xc_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_xk_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_rc_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_rk_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_*c_symmetry&action=edit
https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Strict_still_lifes_with_*k_symmetry&action=edit
I didn't touch the wider "pattern" category pages, so each of the above categories is still listed as part of a "Patterns in {Catagolue-syntax symmetry} symmetry" category -- e.g., "[[Category:Patterns with C1 symmetry]]".
If we wanted to be really consistent about prioritizing Hickerson notation for symmetry wherever possible, then it seems like it would be a larger project to rename all of those categories and adjust the hundreds of pages that reference those categories -- right? I don't see how to do a clever template shortcut to deal with that kind of large-scale rename.
It seems possible that many people will think those categories are fine the way they are anyway, though. Let's maybe not start renaming those categories until at least a few people have some time to think about it first. It seems fine to me for someone to tackle the project after maybe a week or three, if there are no strong objections in the meantime.
Similarly, the
static symmetry page doesn't show Hickerson-notation equivalents of Catagolue-format symmetries, anywhere except in the diagram at the top. I'm not tackling a rework of that page at the moment -- figured I'd let these changes sit a while and see what people thought should be done next (if anything).
Opinions?
EDIT:
confocaloid wrote: January 18th, 2025, 10:55 am
Currently -c (mirror symmetry across a horizontal axis through cell centers) doesn't appear to be processed correctly (see for example
hat,
professor,
omnibus which just display "-c" instead of "-c (D2_+1)").
Good catch, thanks! I wonder what's going wrong there?
... Aha. At first I thought it was just another reminder to never trust anything that a large language model generates, without reading it over three times. I only scanned it once, then figured I'd try it and see if it worked.
It turns out that ChatGPT actually produced 100% perfect template code, except for the pretty-printing issue that added leading whitespace. The only problem was in the table that I gave it as a reference to produce the switch statement. There was a minus sign missing in front of the c.