Fun facts

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
ColorfulGabrielsp138
Posts: 288
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 5:45 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by ColorfulGabrielsp138 »

BokaBB wrote: May 24th, 2021, 5:14 pm I would like to see this thread used again,but please stick with CA fun facts.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
OK.
There is a 21-cell pure glider generator in Life whose initial configuration consists entirely of lone dots, but
it is currently not known whether there is a smaller one.

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 21, rule = LifeColorful
11.E$10.3E$10.E.2E$13.E4$2.2B$.2B$2B$.2B15.2D$19.2D$18.2D$17.2D4$7.C$
7.2C.C$8.3C$9.C!
I have reduced the glider cost of quadratic growth to eight and probably to seven. Looking for conduits...
User avatar
Aleph
Posts: 2287
Joined: February 18th, 2021, 11:18 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Aleph »

ColorfulGabrielsp138 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 3:42 am There is a 21-cell pure glider generator in Life whose initial configuration consists entirely of lone dots, but
it is currently not known whether there is a smaller one.
Now there is (10 dots):

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
2bobo2$bobo2$obobo2$bobobo!
ColorfulGabrielsp138
Posts: 288
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 5:45 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by ColorfulGabrielsp138 »

I'm compiling a list of fun facts.
Could you join us?

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 21, rule = LifeColorful
11.E$10.3E$10.E.2E$13.E4$2.2B$.2B$2B$.2B15.2D$19.2D$18.2D$17.2D4$7.C$
7.2C.C$8.3C$9.C!
I have reduced the glider cost of quadratic growth to eight and probably to seven. Looking for conduits...
ColorfulGabrielsp138
Posts: 288
Joined: March 29th, 2021, 5:45 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by ColorfulGabrielsp138 »

ColorfulGabrielsp138 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:26 am I'm compiling a list of fun facts.
Could you join us?
Thanks for joining us.

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 21, rule = LifeColorful
11.E$10.3E$10.E.2E$13.E4$2.2B$.2B$2B$.2B15.2D$19.2D$18.2D$17.2D4$7.C$
7.2C.C$8.3C$9.C!
I have reduced the glider cost of quadratic growth to eight and probably to seven. Looking for conduits...
Citation needed
Posts: 698
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Citation needed »

Actually, I've never really memorized my account's password.
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Fun facts

Post by BokaBB »

Wow. Glad someone bumped this.
Will make a more comprehensive list later, but for now here's this for motorcycle fans:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History ... motorcycle
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Fun facts

Post by BokaBB »

Fun fact: we have many more senses than 5.
https://www.hellahealth.com/blog/wellne ... ve-senses/
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Citation needed
Posts: 698
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Citation needed »

This year, a traditional Chinese holiday similar to Hallowmas falls on Hallowmas Day.


EDIT: There is an obscure relationship between Conway's Life and Neography.
I suppose most of you know the Snark in Conway's Life.
Did you know where the name of the Snark comes from?
It's from a poem by Lewis Carroll.
The poem also mentions the Bandersnatch and the Bellman.
What's interesting that the poem's Chinese version involves Neography to deal with the neologism.
Haycat2009
Posts: 1053
Joined: April 26th, 2023, 5:47 am
Location: Bahar Junction, Zumaland

Re: Fun facts

Post by Haycat2009 »

Just a question: Should I add relevant examples from here to the Lifewiki DYK section?
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: Fun facts

Post by confocaloid »

Haycat2009 wrote: October 20th, 2024, 9:36 pm Just a question: Should I add relevant examples from here to the Lifewiki DYK section?
Almost certainly "no". Due in part to the fact that you did not actually list/link which examples you consider "relevant", and in part because of the preceding discussion regarding DYK: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1565&start=100

Instead, if you think some fact can be made into a DYK item, please post a specific suggested wording in the forum thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1565 and let other people judge whether or not it makes a good DYK.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Citation needed
Posts: 698
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Citation needed »

yujh wrote: March 20th, 2020, 5:07 am Also this is natural.

Code: Select all

x=0,y=0,rule=B345-a6/S2-a3-a4-a
2bo$b2o$2o$2bo!
Edit:one more for you

Code: Select all

x=0,y=0,rule=B345-a6/S2-a3-a4-a
bo$4o$b3obo$b2o2$2bo!
The dot is now the smallest known tagalong.
Citation needed
Posts: 698
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Citation needed »

islptng wrote:
ColorfulGalaxy kept mispronouncing "Basiknight" as /ˌba-si-ˈknigʰt/ (IPA) or "Басикниг(ь)т" (Russian).

The video game called "Push the cat with WASD" has a level featuring a dot, a glider, a block, 2 blinkers, a tub, a boat, a ship, a toad and an R-pentomino.
Citation needed
Posts: 698
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Fun facts

Post by Citation needed »

If "I love you" were transliterated into Japanese and then, interpreted as Chinese characters, transcribed in the Shidinn ( XDI8AHO ) chat alphabet, the name of a well known multi-state circuit rule will appear as a substring (case sensitive) of the result.
Post Reply