If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Post Reply
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Post by confocaloid »

If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
bo$b2o$2o!
#C [[ THEME MCell GRID ZOOM 8 HARDRESET STOP 48 ]]

Code: Select all

x = 205, y = 190, rule = B3/S23
2bo29b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o$2b2o29bo27bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo
25b2o2bo$b2o28b3o28b2o27b3o27bo2bo25b2ob2o25b2ob2o$62bo29b2o27bobo28bo
28b3o25$92bo89bo$32bo28b3o28bo28b2o28b3o27bob2o$b3o27b3o58b3o27bob2o
25b3obo25bob2o$o3bo26b2obo29b2o28b2o30bo29bo25bo2b3o$4bo25b2o2b2o24bo
4bo29b2o29bo29b2o29bo$2ob2o26b4o30bo28b2o28b3o28b2o28bobo$2bo28b3o27bo
2bo90bo29b2o$62bo22$154bo28b3o$3b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b3o27b3o26b2obo$2b
o2bo26bobo27bobo27bob2o26bo2bo25b2o2bo25b2o2bo3bo$2bo4bo24bo4b2o23bo2b
o2bo23bo2bo25b2o6bo21bo2bo3b3o20b4o4b2o$3b6o24b3o3bo23b3o3bo22b2ob2ob
3o21b2obo2b3o23bobo4bo21bobo3bobo$6bob2o24bo4bo23bo2bo2b2o22bo2b2o2bo
21b2o2b3ob2o20bo8bo22b2o5b2o$6bobo26b2ob2o25b2ob2o24bo5bo23b5obo22b2o
5b2o21b2o5b2o$6b2o28b2o27b4o26bo2b2o25b5o24bo28b3o4bo$96b2o28b3o26bo3b
o$157bo19$93b2o27bo2bo$4bo28b2o27b4o26b4o25bo4bo24b2o2b2o$2b2obo26b2ob
2o25bo3bo24b2ob3o24bo4bo60bo$bo3b2o25bo2b2o25bo4bobo22b2o3bob2o24b3o2b
o24b3o27b4o$5bo3b2o23b2o2b3o22bo4b3o21b2o4b3o29bo24bo2b2o29bo$bo3bo2b
2o24b3obo2bo21bo8bo20b2o2b2o26bob2o25b2ob3o3bo20b4o3bob2o$5bo3bob2o21b
3ob5o21bobobo4bo19b3o6b2o19bob2obo3b3o23bob5o30bo$5bo6bo27bob2o20bo8bo
21bo3bo3b2o18bob2o2b3o2bo23b5ob2o21b2o6bo$10bobo21bo5bobo26b2ob2o19bob
o3b2ob2o21bo2bo5bo18bo4bo2b2obo19bo3bo5b2o$3bobo4b2o22bo5b2o21b3o4b2o
22bo4b4o20b3o3bo2b2o20b2o3b5o19b3o3bo$4bo29bo59bo35b2o22bo5b3o21b2o3bo
3bo$191bo21$6b2o27bobo$5b3o27bobo$3bo61b2o28b2o27bobo$4b2o7bo19b3o27b
3o8bo19b3o7b2o18bobo7b2o20b2o6b2o20b2o6b3o$4bo2bo6bo19bo2bo5b3o28b2o
17bo9bo2bo19bo6bo2bo19bo6bo2b2o14b3o7bo3b2o$6b2o6b2o18bo10bo18b2o7bob
2o18bo7bo2bo15b4o7bo2b2o13b6o5b3o2bo13b4o7bobo2b2o$2b3ob3o4b2o17b2obo
7bobo15b2o3bo6bobo15b2obobo5b2ob2o14b2o3bo5bo2b2o14bo2bob2o4bo4bo12b2o
9bo5bo$2bo4b2o4bo17b2ob3o2bo3b2o16bo3b2o6b2o16bo4bo6b2o16bo4b2o4b4o15b
o3b3o4b5o13b2o6bo3bo2b2o$2bobo4bo23bo4bo23b4o26b5o25bo3bo24b2o3b2o5b2o
16b2o2bobo4bo$93b2o27bo23$16bo29bo28b2o18bo59bo29bo$4bo11b3o16bo9b4o
15b3o11bo16bo8b2o3bo14b3o7b2o3b2o12b3o9bo3b2o13b2o12b3o$2bo2b2o8bo3bo
14b3o6b5obo23b2o4b2o13bobo5b3o4b2o12b2o7b4o3bobo20bo3bob2obo13bo10b4ob
2o$bo3bo6b3o4bo14b3o5bo6b2o13bobo5b2o6bo12b2o6bo8b2o11b2o6bo2bo2bo3bo
13bo5bo2bobo4b2o18bobo4b2o2bo$4bo7b3obob2o21bo3bob3o13b3o5b3o2b2o2bo
11bo2bo5bobo2b5o11b3o6bo4bo3b2o19b2o2b3o2b2o19b2o7b3o$12b2o3bo14b2o8bo
bo2b2o13b2o12b2obo11bo10bo3b3o12bobo8bo3bo14bo2bo11b2o14bo12bobo$b3o
28bo28b2o28b3o27b2o14bo13bobo26b2obo$32bo89bo28b2o28b2o22$125bo29bo28b
3o$4b2o13bo14bobo13bo14bo14bo13b3o27bobo27b3o26bo3bo$4b3o13b2o11bo2bo
13b3o10b2ob2o11bo2bo11bobo12b2o12bo3bo10bob2o11b2ob2o11bobo11bo3bo14bo
$4b2o15b2o11bobo13b3o12bo13bo3bo10b3o11b3ob2o10bobo11bo3bobo9b3o12bobo
bo9bo3bo14bobo$11bo11bo17b2o6bo3bo17b2o6bo3bo17b2o6b2ob3o10bo5b2o11bo
10bo5b2o11b2o8b3o4b2o9b3o$11b2o5b5o18b2o6b4o18b2o5b2o3bo17b2o5b3ob2o
17b2o9bobo16b2o10bo7bo9b2o11bo$b2o18bo9b2o16bob2o8b2o16bo2bo8b2o15b2o
11b2o15bobo9b3o27b3o$o2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo25b2o2bo25bo3bo25b5o$3o
27b3o27bobo26b2ob2o25b2ob2o24bo5bo23b2o3b2o$31bo28b3o27bobo26b2ob2o25b
o3bo25b5o$91bo29bo28b3o27b3o$181bo!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-on ... post_error
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
User avatar
eRroR_6o6
Posts: 386
Joined: August 15th, 2023, 1:24 am
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Post by eRroR_6o6 »

I don't see any reason it won't be 49, unless you're counting it differently or something. (I did think 48 at first and then I clicked the Wikipedia link to check what was there, and then realized.)

Code: Select all

x = 19, y = 37, rule = B3/S23
13b3o$12b4o$11b2obobo$13bobo$15bo12$10b2o$bobo7bobo$o7b2o3b2o$o3bo2b3o
3bo$o6b4obo$o2bo7bo$3o12bobo$18bo$14bo3bo$14bo3bo$18bo$9bo5bo2bo$8b3o
5b3o2$10bo$2bobo4b2o$5bo2b3o$5bo2b3o$2bo2bo2b2obo$3b3o3b3o$10bo!
hotdogPi
Moderator
Posts: 2278
Joined: August 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Post by hotdogPi »

I thought this was a thread about "how long before you no longer recognize it immediately as an R-pentomino".

Some of the ones in the 20s and 30s aren't recognizable to me, but once the traffic light and honey farm start forming, I see it again.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered:

All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122

5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576

Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Post by confocaloid »

eRroR_6o6 wrote: December 13th, 2024, 10:54 pm I don't see any reason it won't be 49, unless you're counting it differently or something. (I did think 48 at first and then I clicked the Wikipedia link to check what was there, and then realized.)
I'm also counting it in the same way, and I also get 49 distinct generations (counting R = gen 0 through gen 48, inclusively).

Decided to post this after repeatedly seeing this error in discussions.

Picked the number 48, because that's the generation in which a Herschel forms, and also because 49 = 7x7 so one can arrange all the generations in a square.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Post Reply