Vort wrote: October 30th, 2024, 4:27 am
I think rules are wrong.
...
As example: I may create program, post source code, binaries, charts.
Then after a week I create different program, and going to share large amount of information about it as well.
Putting everything into single post just "because of rules" is not good.
I do agree that that the no-double-posting rule is too simplistic, as it's currently stated.
The current rule is definitely intended to be cited when a newcomer does stuff like
this.
The current rule is definitely
not intended to be invoked when someone does a double-post for perfectly legitimate reasons, like
this.
There are endless "sorry for double-posting" apologies scattered around in various threads -- and in the vast majority of those cases, no apology is necessary. Most of the time, if somebody is aware of the no-double-posting rule, and they double-post anyway, it's for a perfectly good reason.
In cases like those, generally nobody complains -- except the occasional over-enthusiastic newcomer who has just learned the no-double-posting rule but hasn't figured out that the rule isn't supposed to be universally applied!
... So Here's My Question
I've actually been puzzling over this for at least a year now, trying to figure out if I should suggest to Nathaniel that the no-double-posting rule should be updated somehow.
I'm just not sure what exactly it should say. The current form is
Nathaniel wrote: March 18th, 2016, 8:52 pmDo not post multiple messages consecutively in the same topic. If your message is the most recent one in a topic, simply edit it if you have additional things to add.
This has the great virtue of simplicity. Every time I try to re-word it, I end up wandering off into discussions of special cases that get so long that I even bore myself -- and then the rewording doesn't look like an improvement over the original, so then I just give up on changing it.
I think the "no double-posting rule" is actually more of a "bias against unconsidered double-posting" -- something like:
- Don't double-post without an adequate reason.
- If you aren't sure if your reason is adequate, please edit your previous post instead.
- If other forum members ask you to stop double-posting, then please consider the possibility that your double-posting is causing some unnecessary annoyance.
Trying to get any more specific than that with a limited-case no-double-posting rule seems like it's too tricky to attempt. As we saw above, there are edge cases like Period1GliderGun's string of six posts. confocaloid thought it was unnecessary to have that many separate posts, and probably had a good point there (and it seems like P1GG was okay with going along with that). Sokwe thought that the date range was wide enough that six separate posts were probably okay in that case -- and probably also had a good point.
Seems like a proposed revision of the no-double-posting rule probably shouldn't attempt to draw a bright line between confocaloid's opinion and Sokwe's opinion -- because then we'd have to figure out a clear way to describe where exactly that line is drawn, that isn't so long and convoluted that nobody will read or understand that part of the rules.