LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 3395
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Sokwe »

jerfelix wrote: August 23rd, 2024, 12:15 pm Hi! I'm requesting trusted account status for the LifeWiki.
I've given you the trusted flag. As you and confocaloid already discussed and I think agreed, new topics should be posted to the forums first, from which they may garner enough interest to be included on the wiki.
-Matthias Merzenich
User avatar
CARuler
Posts: 1351
Joined: July 30th, 2024, 5:38 pm
Location: A rule-verse in floor rule-verse of the CGOL skyscraper

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by CARuler »

I would like a trusted flag so that I can edit the oblique ship page
likes interesting rules
vist my rules here
also likes weird growth patterns in CA
hyperbolic CA!!!
ADHD user
mostly inactive
FlutterWithKSparkler
Posts: 55
Joined: October 14th, 2023, 12:43 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by FlutterWithKSparkler »

A trusted flag for the user FlutterWithKSparkler is requested for editing purposes.
(*≧▽≦)~Yay
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

CARuler wrote: August 28th, 2024, 5:55 pm I would like a trusted flag so that I can edit the oblique ship page
Please stop adding newly coined terminology to the wiki.

Your edits so far are these (which were correctly reverted) and these (made in the same page after your previous edits were reverted; these also should be reverted, because the page cannot list all speeds, and the page should not list names that aren't commonly used in an uncontroversial way).

LifeWiki:Notability says
To prevent overenthusiastic edits and conflicts of interest, a commonly accepted rule is that the discoverer of a pattern, inventor of new terminology, writer of a program, etc., etc., should not be the one to document that pattern, term, or program on the LifeWiki.
[...]
A new name for an existing pattern should not be added to the LifeWiki until it has been in common use for a year or two. "Common use" means regular uses in discussion, by people other than the initial proponents of the new name. In other words, a term should have become widely adopted in conversations about the pattern, in a way that shows that it's an accepted and uncontroversial term, well before any attempts are made to mention the term in LifeWiki articles.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
User avatar
CARuler
Posts: 1351
Joined: July 30th, 2024, 5:38 pm
Location: A rule-verse in floor rule-verse of the CGOL skyscraper

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by CARuler »

confocaloid wrote: August 30th, 2024, 5:06 pm
CARuler wrote: August 28th, 2024, 5:55 pm I would like a trusted flag so that I can edit the oblique ship page
Please stop adding newly coined terminology to the wiki.

Your edits so far are these (which were correctly reverted) and these (made in the same page after your previous edits were reverted; these also should be reverted, because the page cannot list all speeds, and the page should not list names that aren't commonly used in an uncontroversial way).

LifeWiki:Notability says
To prevent overenthusiastic edits and conflicts of interest, a commonly accepted rule is that the discoverer of a pattern, inventor of new terminology, writer of a program, etc., etc., should not be the one to document that pattern, term, or program on the LifeWiki.
[...]
A new name for an existing pattern should not be added to the LifeWiki until it has been in common use for a year or two. "Common use" means regular uses in discussion, by people other than the initial proponents of the new name. In other words, a term should have become widely adopted in conversations about the pattern, in a way that shows that it's an accepted and uncontroversial term, well before any attempts are made to mention the term in LifeWiki articles.
sorry, but I kind of wanted to share my ideas for oblique spaceship names, I didn't see this until I made a big edit
might these be kept? I kind of wanted to use them, plus this wiki page isn't used often
likes interesting rules
vist my rules here
also likes weird growth patterns in CA
hyperbolic CA!!!
ADHD user
mostly inactive
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

CARuler wrote: August 30th, 2024, 5:33 pm sorry, but I kind of wanted to share my ideas for oblique spaceship names, I didn't see this until I made a big edit
might these be kept? I kind of wanted to use them, plus this wiki page isn't used often
Sharing your (Life/CA-related) ideas should be done on these forums, not on the wiki. I already quoted parts of LifeWiki:Notability please read that page again.

The newly coined names should be removed. They aren't established commonly used uncontroversial terminology.

edit: for example check instead forum thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2636 "Create your own terminology"
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 3395
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Sokwe »

CARuler wrote: August 30th, 2024, 5:33 pm I kind of wanted to share my ideas for oblique spaceship names
As confocaloid noted, the place to share your proposed new terminology is on the forums, specifically the "Create your own terminology" thread. I've rolled back your edits to the oblique spaceship page. See here for your last revision, which includes all of your proposed terminology.
-Matthias Merzenich
User avatar
LittleLWSS
Posts: 152
Joined: August 1st, 2024, 10:39 pm
Location: In a mysterious, historic, and powerful country in the East Asia

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by LittleLWSS »

Hello, I'm back. I wish I can be trusted again. I will help you fix any errors in the original article.

If you want, you can also document this pattern(I call it Desk):

Code: Select all

..O..O..
..OOOO..
OO....OO
.O.OO.O.
.O.OO.O.
OO....OO
..OOOO..
..O..O..
This is LittleLWSS.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
o2bo$4bo$o3bo$b4o!

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3-k7/S23-ck4q5y
o2bo$4bo$o3bo$b4o!

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3-y7e/S2-n3-cey4ei
o2bo$4bo$o3bo$b4o!
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

What you mean by "the original article", exactly?
LittleLWSS wrote: October 3rd, 2024, 10:10 pm Hello, I'm back. I wish I can be trusted again. I will help you fix any errors in the original article. [...]
I oppose, considering that you are continuing to post non-notable stuff ( here and viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6723 ), despite earlier attempts to explain notability and forum rules.
LittleLWSS wrote: October 3rd, 2024, 10:10 pm [...] If you want, you can also document this pattern(I call it Desk): [...]
It is a non-notable 28-bit still life with apgcode xs28_4s3qq3s4z11622611. As far as I can tell, there is no need to "document" this particular still life.

Please re-read again LW:NB and the forum rules (in particular forum rule 4a).
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Hakerh400
Posts: 2
Joined: October 5th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Hakerh400 »

Requesting a trusted flag for the user Hakerh400.
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1608
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by otismo »

Requesting a trusted flag for the user otismo.

EDIT :

It is going to take me a while to read everything confocaloid suggested.

Come to think of it, I really do not care to edit your wiki.

I will have to get my own wiki up.

But as long as your wiki is useful, I will continue to use it.

<3
Last edited by otismo on October 5th, 2024, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

@ whoever is requesting trusted flag:

Please read LifeWiki:Notability, LIfeWiki:Style guide, LifeWiki:About.

The wiki is very different from the forums (in the content; in the way things are organized and presented; in the purpose; in the target audience).

Many relatively recent problems with newcomers editing the wiki are due in part to newcomers missing the point of the wiki.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Hakerh400
Posts: 2
Joined: October 5th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Hakerh400 »

confocaloid wrote: October 5th, 2024, 4:18 pm @ whoever is requesting trusted flag:

Please read LifeWiki:Notability, LIfeWiki:Style guide, LifeWiki:About.

The wiki is very different from the forums (in the content; in the way things are organized and presented; in the purpose; in the target audience).

Many relatively recent problems with newcomers editing the wiki are due in part to newcomers missing the point of the wiki.
Familiarity with the notability and style guide has been established. The purpose of this request is to obtain permission to correct any typos discovered on pages in the future, perform other minor edits, and share personal findings exclusively on the personal user page.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12036
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by dvgrn »

Hakerh400 wrote: October 5th, 2024, 5:25 pmFamiliarity with the notability and style guide has been established. The purpose of this request is to obtain permission to correct any typos discovered on pages in the future, perform other minor edits, and share personal findings exclusively on the personal user page.
Trusted flag has been added -- welcome!
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1608
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by otismo »

I might want to have a personal page though

I will have to think about it...
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12036
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by dvgrn »

otismo wrote: October 6th, 2024, 10:23 am I might want to have a personal page though

I will have to think about it...
The way that this thread works is that new requests are honored by default -- the policy is basically "trust but verify". You had rescinded your request, but this message more or less reinstates it, so I've set your trusted flag.

Please do review the links that confocaloid has mentioned, though. There are common-sense limits even to personal pages; as a recent example, non-CA-related stock market details wouldn't be welcome on personal pages on the LifeWiki any more than they are on the forums.
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

dvgrn wrote: October 6th, 2024, 10:43 am [...] Please do review the links that confocaloid has mentioned, though. There are common-sense limits even to personal pages; as a recent example, non-CA-related stock market details wouldn't be welcome on personal pages on the LifeWiki any more than they are on the forums.
I'd like to interject to add that writing things like viewtopic.php?p=195516#p195516 (either in the forums or in the wiki) wouldn't be welcome either, to say the least.

EDIT by dvgrn: The thread linked above was a new topic titled "Evolve" by otismo, containing several not-very-well-thought-out insults aimed at the community at large related to "proper use of English". Two posts were reported for violating forum rules, so the thread has been deleted. Have sent the contents back to otismo in private-message form.

And yes, otismo, in response to one of your points below: these kinds of repeated off-topic posts with multiple forum rule violations do create an administrative burden on the moderator team. We'd really rather spend our time dealing with actual spammers, so please do be more careful about what you post.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1608
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by otismo »

this procedure must be creating an incredible burden of oversight

for those functioning as overseers

but Thank You

I promise to be extremely careful with my new privilege

if I even use it at all

you folks have created a marvelous thing here

and I do not wish to be a disruptive influence

in re the deleted stk mkt thread

I failed to record the final number of views
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

otismo wrote: October 6th, 2024, 11:02 am this procedure must be creating an incredible burden of oversight [...]
Without this procedure, the amount of needed maintenance burden would be higher than it is now.
otismo wrote: October 6th, 2024, 11:02 am [...]
in re the deleted stk mkt thread

I failed to record the final number of views
The number of views doesn't matter, because it's essentially random (web spiders / the same person repeatedly paging through the thread counted as many views / etc.), and because the entire thread was way offtopic and inappropriate on this website to begin with.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Arayaz
Posts: 1
Joined: October 10th, 2024, 9:46 am

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Arayaz »

Hello, I'd like to request trusted status for the user Arayaz on the wiki.
User avatar
d/dx
Posts: 705
Joined: March 22nd, 2024, 2:41 pm
Location: in your walls

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by d/dx »

finally making a lifewiki account!

can I have the trusted flag for user Derivative?
my shtuffs

xkcd.com/626/


DieciFseis when?

,
bean
Posts: 16
Joined: November 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by bean »

plz make me trusted :) its bean on the wiki

Code: Select all

2$2b2o2b3o2bo2bo2bo$2bobobo3bobob2obo$2b2o2b2o2b3ob2obo$2bobobo3bobob
ob2o$2bobobo3bobobob2o$2b2o2b3obobobo2bo!
IOI-655321
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12036
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by dvgrn »

bean wrote: November 15th, 2024, 5:23 pm plz make me trusted :) its bean on the wiki
I've done a search for username "bean", but the search is coming up empty. There don't seem to be any recent user creations with similar names.

(?)
bean
Posts: 16
Joined: November 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by bean »

umm im on the wiki i think im sure i joined

Code: Select all

2$2b2o2b3o2bo2bo2bo$2bobobo3bobob2obo$2b2o2b2o2b3ob2obo$2bobobo3bobob
ob2o$2bobobo3bobobob2o$2b2o2b3obobobo2bo!
IOI-655321
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by confocaloid »

bean wrote: November 15th, 2024, 5:23 pmplz make me trusted :) its bean on the wiki
bean wrote: November 18th, 2024, 4:56 pmumm im on the wiki i think im sure i joined
An account with the same name does not appear to have been registered.

Also, what do you want to do on the wiki?
Note that the wiki's primary purpose is collecting and explaining existing knowledge about Conway's Life. If you are a beginner, I suggest to spend some time on these forums, reading about what is already known and what are local conventions.
Regarding possible contributions to the wiki, read in particular LifeWiki:Notability and LifeWiki:Style guide.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Post Reply