CARuler wrote: September 23rd, 2024, 9:15 am
I would like to point out no one said anything about islands in the rules...
That says nothing about anything else. It was an idea we all agreed on and introduced slowly-- as opposed to suddenly inventing a boat that MAKES islands and apparently costs nothing. You're going to tell me, "No, it costs like 10 entire cells," just to feel like I'm wrong and you're right, but that's not my point. You can't make up your own rules; you need to ask people before they're implemented. Take the islands you mentioned, for example. I took someone else's confusing/unfun idea:
unname4798 wrote: September 18th, 2024, 11:50 am
I have revealed that the sea is infinite, it is now impossible to represent the empire as a RLE.
New game:
Code:
Select all
#R Display256
5A$A3.A$A3.A$A3.A$5A!
And made it playable and enjoyable for everyone:
rutabaga wrote: September 18th, 2024, 12:55 pm
[rle]
I have revealed that the sea is infinite, but it is possible to represent it as RLE. There may be other islands, but don't reveal them yet. (136)
This is different from just adding something with no warning. I give it time before actually introducing them, which gives other people time to state their opinions on the idea. In fact,
you're the one who rushed this:
CARuler wrote: September 18th, 2024, 6:09 pm
I found an island! can I inhabit it?
[rle]
I don't introduce another island until a while into the next page, and while it's clearly more advantageous for me than it is for you, I explicitly state that its discovery is for someone else before I end up taking it:
rutabaga wrote: September 19th, 2024, 6:45 am
[rle]
Another island :O
this one's for Haycat but if you don't want it I'll gladly take it lol
(173+19, it was actually 19 the whole time and I miscounted)
-------
INTERMISSION BECAUSE THIS IS A LONG FRIGGIN' POST!! Enjoy this oscillator and also maybe grab a snack:
Code: Select all
x = 3, y = 3, rule = 2-a358/2-ak34jz78/3
.A$A.A$.A!
-------
Intermission is over.
CARuler wrote: September 23rd, 2024, 9:15 am
...also I was treating this like roleplay
????????
What?
I don't understand this part. I know 'roleplay' can mean bending the rules sometimes to make the story more enjoyable-- I did that too-- but that doesn't mean revolutionize the game with no warning. Instead of adding boats to make the game make more sense here, I could have just suddenly settled the island:
rutabaga wrote: September 19th, 2024, 9:30 am
hibiscus wrote: September 19th, 2024, 9:26 am
Might as well join at this point.
[...]
10 cells.
Welcome! :D
[rle]
I send 10 settlers onto some boats. They'll arrive at the island the next time I move. I give my other 4 cells for this turn to Hibiscus as a welcome gift :) Feel free to use them in addition to the 3 you would normally use! (Cells you can add is the square root of the cells you already have)
(186+19+10)
Edit: Updated map to reflect Antonin's post.
Here, I establish a reasonable way to make the game more interesting. (I've said that a bajillion times, but this is another quote that proves my point, so I might as well restate what that point is.) Just settling the island without any warning would be boring, and you clearly recognize that the lack of addition of new elements to the game makes it... well, boring. So I added something new, and I made it reasonable and not overpowered.
Another thing reflected in this post is the addition of 'troops.' Added as a way to help allies when the only way to do that previously was reserving territory or something, you could have just said, "No, don't do that, troops are dumb and overpowered..." even though I think they're reasonable-- you've never used them, so you may very well believe they're not a good addition to the game, but you didn't even mention the islands until now, so who knows.
Basically, the difference between what I'm doing and what you're doing is the speed with which the new features are introduced, how powerful the new features are, and how easy to understand and enjoy they are.
Nobody's reading this far, so I might as well copy and paste an essay on grass here in ridiculously tiny font that can only be read via copy paste or excessive zoom:
Grass is a type of plant with narrow leaves growing from the base. A common kind of grass is used to cover the ground in places such as lawns and parks. Grass is usually the color green. Grasses are monocotyledon herbaceous plants. The grasses include the "grass" of the family Poaceae. This family is also called Gramineae. The family also include some of the sedges (Cyperaceae) and the rushes (Juncaceae).[1] These three families are not closely related but all of them belong to clades in the order Poales. They are similar adaptations to a common life-style. The true grasses include cereals, bamboo and the grasses of lawns (turf) and grassland. Uses for graminoids include food (as grain, sprouted grain, shoots or rhizomes), drink (beer, whisky), pasture for livestock, thatching thatch, paper, fuel, clothing, insulation, construction, sports turf, basket weaving and many others. Many grasses are short, but some grasses can grow very tall, such as Bamboo. Plants from the grass family can grow in many places and make grasslands, including areas which are very arid or cold. There are several other plants that look similar to grass and are referred to as such, but are not members of the grass family. These plants include rushes, reeds, papyrus and water chestnut. Seagrass is a monocot in the order Alismatales. Grasses are an important food for many animals, such as deer, buffalo, cattle, mice, grasshoppers, caterpillars and many other grazers. Unlike other plants, grasses grow from the bottom, so when animals eat grass they usually do not destroy the part that grows.[2] This is a part of why the plants are successful. Without grass, soil may wash away into rivers (erosion). Evolution of grass Graminoids include some of the most versatile plant life-forms. They became widespread toward the end of the Cretaceous. Fossilized dinosaur dung (coprolites) have been found containing grass phytoliths (silica stones inside grass leaves).[3] Grasses have adapted to conditions in lush rain forests, dry deserts, cold mountains and even intertidal habitats, and are now the most widespread plant type. Grass is a valuable source of food and energy for many animals.[4] Grass and people Lawn grass is often planted on sports fields and in the area around a building. Sometimes chemicals and water is used to help lawns to grow. People have used grasses for a long time. People eat parts of grasses. Corn, wheat, barley, oats, rice and millet are cereals, common grains whose seeds are used for food and to make alcohol such as beer. Sugar comes from sugar cane, which is also a plant in the grass family. People have grown grasses as food for farm animals for about 4,000 years. People use bamboo to build houses, fences, furniture and other things. Grass plants can also be used as fuel, to cover roofs, and to weave baskets. We're no strangers to love; you know the rules and so do I! A full commitment's what I'm thinking of; you wouldn't get this from any other guy! I... just wanna tell you how I'm feeling... gotta make you understand. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.
Whew, that was a lot to say in one breath! :0 Those are my thoughts, for whatever the heck they're worth at this point.