Improvement of gfind?

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Post Reply
Alegend
Posts: 31
Joined: October 5th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Improvement of gfind?

Post by Alegend »

Hey, guys! I've been thinking, even though gfind is a good tool, it's not perfect! So, I propose that we improve gfind to have more features, be faster, and to have different optimization settings! Anybody wanna help?
User avatar
velcrorex
Posts: 339
Joined: November 1st, 2009, 1:33 pm

Re: Improvement of gfind?

Post by velcrorex »

I don't have the expertise to work on such a project, but I would like to see a way to save partway and be able to resume the search later. The power here goes out often enough that it's a gamble to set up a week long search. Maybe there's already a way to do this that I'm not aware of.
-Josh Ball.
Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 3392
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: Improvement of gfind?

Post by Sokwe »

velcrorex wrote:I would like to see a way to save partway and be able to resume the search later.
You should check out afind. It saves the state of the search periodically and can be stopped and resumed later on. It also allows searching for knightships and searching perpendicular to the direction of travel (i.e. for short spaceships). Unfortunately, it lacks the ability to search for diagonal spaceships with bilateral symmetry.

Also, in an improvement of gfind, I would like to see it be able to extend partial results. This doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to do. Has anyone tried anything like this before?
-Matthias Merzenich
Alegend
Posts: 31
Joined: October 5th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Re: Improvement of gfind?

Post by Alegend »

I have now found renewed interest in improving gfind, and I shall at least try to make it able to search for any oblique spaceship.
Post Reply