Golly 1.3 for iPad

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Golly 1.3 for iPad

Post by muzik »

Am I the only one frequently encountering "Memory warning occurred, so empty universe created" on iOS? Nowhere near storage capacity so I'm suspecting a leak somewhere. This is particularly common when exiting out of it without closing and then reentering later.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Golly 1.3 for iPad

Post by muzik »

Attempting to download zips from the forums now causes everything to crash after this message.
Image
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Golly 1.3 for iPad

Post by muzik »

Links inside help pages, even if internal, do not appear to work at all.
IMG_4266.jpeg
IMG_4266.jpeg (735.89 KiB) Viewed 14615 times
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
joshuarbholden
Posts: 6
Joined: July 7th, 2024, 3:00 pm

Re: Golly 1.3 for iPad

Post by joshuarbholden »

pzq_alex wrote: June 20th, 2022, 9:30 am
muzik wrote: June 20th, 2022, 9:26 am Would it be possible to make all saved pattern files accessible via Files?
Also, opening patterns from Files would be nice. (I have been unable to open the downloaded patterns (of the Book) using Golly on iPad. )
Ditto for rule files! I'd like to be able to edit them directly on my iPad instead of having to transfer them on and off using iTunes.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Golly 1.3 for iPad

Post by muzik »

muzik wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:44 am Since the iPad model and operating system I use have changed since my first post in this thread (now a 4th-gen iPad Air running 16.3.1) I've decided to run through all of the issues I've reported here before. I have the following results:

- READ and EDIT links for patterns and rules still bring up a pure-white screen
- Weighted rulestrings with massive neighbourhoods (for example R500,C0,S,B,NG) still trigger a crash
- Exiting the app and re-entering it sometimes still results in text being enlarged (the main difference here is that the Home button no longer exists on this model)
- The white line above the grid still exists, and it still moves to the bottom of the grid in a much larger form when entering and exiting Full Screen
- Pasting patterns into bounded grids too small for them is still rejected even if "partially within grid". Golly only appears to check if the top-left corner is inside of the bounded grid.

So all of those issues still remain, as well as the fact that saved patterns aren't ordered alphabetically and AutoCorrect interferes with the rule text box, which may also be issues.

Since the aspect ratio of this specific model is weird, I've also noticed a new thing that may or may not have been there before: the "Save Pattern" box's top bar doesn't extend the whole way across it.
Can still confirm all of this on 17.5.1. I should also point out that the bottom bar partially occludes the ones directly above it:
IMG_9175.png
IMG_9175.png (261.17 KiB) Viewed 12528 times
Also, here's how pattern saving looks, for reference (notice the top of the box):
IMG_9176.png
IMG_9176.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 12528 times
Not sure if mentioned in this thread yet, but the copyright notice says 2017 even though the last update was in 2020.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
Post Reply