Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
-
alexmiller
- Posts: 1
- Joined: January 30th, 2024, 2:08 am
Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
I'm curious if anyone can identify the Game of Life configuration in this photograph of John Conway. Does it have a name? Is it significant in any way?
- Attachments
-
- Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 10.11.06 PM.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 10038 times
- b-engine
- Posts: 3762
- Joined: October 26th, 2023, 4:11 am
- Location: Somewhere on where Earth At
- Contact:
Re: Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
I'd tried my best to hand-copy it, but I see it seems uninteresting.alexmiller wrote: January 30th, 2024, 2:11 am I'm curious if anyone can identify the Game of Life configuration in this photograph of John Conway. Does it have a name? Is it significant in any way?
The bomb-like objects are the honey farm sequence. While the objects at the center are blinkers.
Code: Select all
x = 32, y = 36, rule = B3/S23
5b3o16b3o2$4bobobo14bobobo$4b2ob2o14b2ob2o$2b2o5b2o10b2o5b2o$o2bo2bo2b
o2bo6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$obo2bobo2bobo6bobo2bobo2bobo$o2bo2bo2bo2bo6bo2bo2b
o2bo2bo$2b2o5b2o10b2o5b2o$4b2ob2o14b2ob2o$4bobobo14bobobo2$5b3o16b3o3$
9b3o8b3o5$9b3o8b3o3$5b3o16b3o2$4bobobo14bobobo$4b2ob2o14b2ob2o$2b2o5b
2o10b2o5b2o$o2bo2bo2bo2bo6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$obo2bobo2bobo6bobo2bobo2bobo
$o2bo2bo2bo2bo6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$2b2o5b2o10b2o5b2o$4b2ob2o14b2ob2o$4bobo
bo14bobobo2$5b3o16b3o!
Try INT Minesweeper
- confocaloid
- Posts: 6697
- Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
- Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms
Re: Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
I wonder what was the predecessor of that pattern. Given the symmetry, maybe it evolved from an 1-cell-thick pattern or a rectangle of alive cells?
This evolves to a visually similar pattern, but I'm not sure if it is the same pattern:
This evolves to a visually similar pattern, but I'm not sure if it is the same pattern:
Code: Select all
x = 1, y = 29, rule = B3/S23
o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o2$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o!
#C [[ HARDRESET ZOOM 10 THEME Caterer STOP 138 ]]
Re: Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
This reminded me of something from Martin Gardner's original Life article.confocaloid wrote: January 30th, 2024, 2:56 am This evolves to a visually similar pattern, but I'm not sure if it is the same pattern:Code: Select all
x = 1, y = 29, rule = B3/S23 o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o2$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o! #C [[ HARDRESET ZOOM 10 THEME Caterer STOP 138 ]]
I am almost certain that the starting pattern is the following:
Code: Select all
x = 23, y = 1, rule = B3/S23
5ob5ob5ob5o!
#C [[ HARDRESET ZOOM 10 THEME Caterer STOP 91 ]]In October 1970, Martin Gardner wrote:Rows consisting of sets of five count-
ers, an empty cell separating adjacent
sets, have also been tracked by Conway.
The 5-5 row generates the pulsar CP
48-56-72 in 21 moves, 5-5-5 ends with
four blocks, 5-5-5-5 ends with four hon-
ey farms and four blinkers, 5-5-5-5-5
terminates with a "spectacular display of
eight gliders and eight blinkers. Then
the gliders crash in pairs to become
eight blocks." The form 5-5-5-5-5-5
ends with four blinkers, and 5-5-5-5-
5-5-5, Conway remarks, "is marvelous
to sit watching on the computer screen."
He has yet to track it to its ultimate des-
tiny, however.
-Matthias Merzenich
Re: Can someone identify this GoL pattern?
confocaloid wrote: January 30th, 2024, 2:56 am This evolves to a visually similar pattern, but I'm not sure if it is the same pattern:Code: Select all
x = 1, y = 29, rule = B3/S23 o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o2$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o$o! #C [[ HARDRESET ZOOM 10 THEME Caterer STOP 138 ]]
Looks like these converge to the same sequence - generation 63 of confocal's is generation 16 of Sokwe's, both being eight pre-TL squares getting ready to become two pulsars before merging.Sokwe wrote: January 30th, 2024, 3:17 am This reminded me of something from Martin Gardner's original Life article.
I am almost certain that the starting pattern is the following:Code: Select all
x = 23, y = 1, rule = B3/S23 5ob5ob5ob5o! #C [[ HARDRESET ZOOM 10 THEME Caterer STOP 91 ]]
