It depends on what you want to find, although if you're considering afind, you should probably try to get ikpx2 or gfind working instead. Together they can do almost anything afind can, but quite a bit faster (and multi-threaded in the case of ikpx2). Also, as I recall, afind is a bit buggy and may miss things.Haycat2009 wrote: January 11th, 2024, 9:28 pm Can you tell me more about the differences in the 1-letter finds? I am not sure whether to use qfind or afind.
qfind is much faster than afind, but it can only search front-to-back for orthogonal ships and is essentially limited to a logical width of 10 (true width depends on symmetry). It is the most effective tool when there are many partial results with some rows in common or when you're looking for a large number of ships.
afind can search for ships with "floating rows" (that is, new rows can be placed with some shift rather than all in a single column) and can search for ships that travel diagonally or even obliquely, but ikpx2 also does these things and does them better. The two "advantages" to afind over ikpx2 are that it can (I think) search for ships with gcd(period,offset)>1 (but so can gfind in all cases where this would be useful), and it can search for short, wide ships (but you should probably use WLS, JLS, or LLSSS for such searches).
Basically, afind was a great program, and I used it to find several new ships in Life-like CA back in the day, but I don't think it's really useful anymore. Everything it does can be done better by some other program.
Edit: afind may still be the best at finding a large number of short, wide ships in cases where there are many ships with columns in common. I haven't used it in years, so I can't say for sure.