(Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Post Reply
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

(Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

(So here we pretend CGOL was jist discovered and look for patterns from tiny scribbles at first like Conway did in his time. Later we may turn into engineering and all it but first be small, please for the sake of realisticness.)

Hey, everyone! B3/S23 is a super awesome rule I just discovered. I'd like to call it AwesomeLife if you agree.

Lemme explain its rules: This is done in turns. B stands for cell birth. B3 means every turn empty cells that have 3 neighbours are born. S23 means cells that have 2 or 3 neighbours survive into the next turn, otherwise they don't.

Let's hope it gains at least some activity in this world where mostly everyone only ever heard of JvN29.

Here's a random pattern for you to run on paper! B are live cells and O are not. It seems to weirdly turn symmetric even though it definitely isn't at the start. It eventually after a long day of simulation seems to make four copies of a weird object that seems to stop changing forever that I'll call the square. I wonder if that is significant...

O O O
B O O
O B O
O B B
O O B
O O B

Here's the square:

B B
B B
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
bibunsekibun
Posts: 345
Joined: April 17th, 2021, 7:58 pm
Location: Japan

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by bibunsekibun »

I lined up 3 living cells, and after 2 steps, they reverted to their original shape!
What should we call this pattern?
sorry I can only speak Japanese, English is made by machine translation
I'm a fan of methuselahs
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

bibunsekibun wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:20 am I lined up 3 living cells, and after 2 steps, they reverted to their original shape!
What should we call this pattern?
Hmmm. That's weird. Never seen such a thing. Sounds like an entirely new thing. Perhaps we could call it a repeater?
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
rutabaga
Posts: 676
Joined: January 12th, 2023, 8:18 pm

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by rutabaga »

It seems that out of all 16 possibilities in 2x2 cells, the square is the only one that survives more than 1 generation, which makes sense. But I found a 3x3 pattern that is stable like the square.
O B O
B O B
O B O
It even seems you can add a cell in the corner of this pattern and it's still stable! What do we call these types of patterns as a whole?

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = 2-a35-j8/2-ak34n5i78/3
.A$A.A$.A!
unadjustable p24150
User avatar
synperiplanar
Posts: 280
Joined: February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Location: nowhere but also everywhere (uncertainty principle)

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by synperiplanar »

BokaBB wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:22 am Perhaps we could call it a repeater?
so what would we name the repeater?
rutabaga wrote: March 10th, 2023, 9:10 am It seems that out of all 16 possibilities in 2x2 cells, the square is the only one that survives more than 1 generation, which makes sense. But I found a 3x3 pattern that is stable like the square.
O B O
B O B
O B O
It even seems you can add a cell in the corner of this pattern and it's still stable! What do we call these types of patterns as a whole?
let's call it... the rhombus, analogous to the square. rutabaga the race is on to find the rarest hand-picked SL in a soup
breathe in, bleed out
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

Here's rutabaga's 2 new discoveries.
get_Snacked, I meant let's call tge pattern the repeater.
Here's rutabaga's patterns:
O B B
B O B
O B O

O B B
B O B
B B O

The first apparently appeared in my first sequence but got destroyed.

What about tie for the first one and brick for the second?
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
synperiplanar
Posts: 280
Joined: February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Location: nowhere but also everywhere (uncertainty principle)

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by synperiplanar »

huh, maybe we should do something that correlates each of them because one on cell is added on the other.
maybe the first one should be arrow and the second should be divider
first naming poll:
  • tie | brick
  • arrow | divider
let's run an exhaustive search on objects that are inside of 3x3 spaces!
oh, would you look at that: a lot of them evolved into this:
OOBBBOO
OOOOOOO
BOOOOOB
BOOOOOB
BOOOOOB
OOOOOOO
OOBBBOO
Last edited by synperiplanar on March 10th, 2023, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
breathe in, bleed out
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

Great! I agree.

Yet another stable sequence found emanating from this box:

B B
B B
B B

It turns into

O B B O
B O O B
O B B O

which is stable.
Perhaps the puff due to how it looks like an exploding box? The first pattern is the box then.
(Could you please delay the discovery of tge glider as much as possible? I want for it to look like a big surprise.)
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
synperiplanar
Posts: 280
Joined: February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Location: nowhere but also everywhere (uncertainty principle)

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by synperiplanar »

i agree on calling it puff. i have almost finished all 3x3 sequences, that i can't just finish with my mind:
OOB
OBO
BBB
so i made a computer algorithm to compute it. Here is how it works:
The notation header is anything from ([nothing]-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)|([nothing]-0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) where the left is what a cell needs to survive and the right is what it needs to be born.
so here is me running it on computer:

Code: Select all

#C 2,3|3
#C OOB
#C OBO
#C BBB
#C Wow! It Works!



















































x = 0, y = 0, rule = b3s23
2bo$bob$3o!
[[ THEME Inverse ]]
here is one interesting object that moves forward at its edge:
BOOBB
OBBBO
OOBOO
wow! what should we call this pattern, and the object it gives out so far?
btw don't post too frequently because mods will have to keep making sure things are good and it might get locked due to heavy moderation
Last edited by synperiplanar on March 10th, 2023, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
breathe in, bleed out
User avatar
synperiplanar
Posts: 280
Joined: February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Location: nowhere but also everywhere (uncertainty principle)

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by synperiplanar »

BokaBB wrote: March 10th, 2023, 9:27 am (Could you please delay the discovery of tge glider as much as possible? I want for it to look like a big surprise.)
my bad--didn't read that.
breathe in, bleed out
User avatar
synperiplanar
Posts: 280
Joined: February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Location: nowhere but also everywhere (uncertainty principle)

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by synperiplanar »

let's call the second one the car because it moves and puffs out "smoke."
anyways, now i've completed the first 300 generations of the emitter, and it still doesn't look anywhere near done yet. i still haven't found any new stable patterns. i think we should call the set of repeaters a "blinker" ( :lol: ).
oh, i found something at generation 310! it's this!

Code: Select all

#C 2,3|3
#C OBOO
#C BOBO
#C BOOB
#C OBBO







































x = 0, y = 0, rule = b3s23
bo2b$obo$o2bo$b2ob!
[[ THEME Inverse ]]
ok i'm probably not going to post in here anymore for a while since i don't want to clog the sandbox
Last edited by synperiplanar on March 10th, 2023, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
breathe in, bleed out
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

Wow! A new stable one! Maybe steak? Looks delicious to me already...
Please slow down or we will overtake the current CGOL knowledge in a month or so :DDDDD ...
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1600
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by otismo »

I say we should name the repeater Charlie

or Charley the Repeater

or

Repetitious Charlious

!
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1600
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by otismo »

Here's One :

OOOOBOO
OOOOOBB
OBBOOBB
BBOOBBB
BBOOOOO

A Group of Six and a Group of Eight

THEN

Something Symmetrical wants to Come into Being

BUT

That Repeater is THERE

a two-toes right underneath him stymies him into behaving

and after that, he is Purely Symmetrical

then a strange group of Four Repeaters appears

( these all seem to be injector FireClouds by-the-way... )

but Hungry Symmetry devours first the right-most Repeater

then the adjacent pair to the left

and finally tries to "get" the last guy

but instead a new group forms !

But Hungry Symmetry will not quit

and in the end only manages to "get" One Repeator

two more form along with two squares...
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4643
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by hotcrystal0 »

This makes a weird moving thing...

Code: Select all

#C 2,3|3
#C BBBO
#C OOBB
#C OOOB
#C OBBB










x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
3o$2b2o$3bo$b3o!
Last edited by hotcrystal0 on August 4th, 2024, 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
108 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1600
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by otismo »

get_snackeTWO wrote: March 10th, 2023, 9:25 am huh, maybe we should do something that correlates each of them because one on cell is added on the other.
maybe the first one should be arrow and the second should be divider
first naming poll:
  • tie | brick
  • arrow | divider
if you call one Arrow

you Have To

call the other one Oblio

https://youtu.be/V6Qnd5vnpN0

let's run an exhaustive search on objects that are inside of 3x3 spaces!
oh, would you look at that: a lot of them evolved into this:
OOBBBOO
OOOOOOO
BOOOOOB
BOOOOOB
BOOOOOB
OOOOOOO
OOBBBOO
and there is that mysterious group of four repeaters again !
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
User avatar
otismo
Posts: 1600
Joined: August 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by otismo »

get_snackeTWO wrote: March 10th, 2023, 9:38 am i agree on calling it puff. i have almost finished all 3x3 sequences, that i can't just finish with my mind:

[ STUFF ]

here is one interesting object that moves forward at its edge:
BOOBB
OBBBO
OOBOO
wow! what should we call this pattern, and the object it gives out so far?
btw don't post too frequently because mods will have to keep making sure things are good and it might get locked due to heavy moderation
the object that forms from this I call the

Infernal Jay

but if you guyze want to call it the car I agree because it DOES move and DOES puff out "smoke."
"One picture is worth 1000 words; but one thousand words, carefully crafted, can paint an infinite number of pictures."
- autonomic writing
forFUN : http://gol.jct.onl
ArtGallery : http://cgolart.onfav.net
VideoWS : http://conway.life
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

hotcrystal0 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:03 pm This makes a weird moving thing...

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
3o$2b2o$3bo$b3o!
(Please keep this at a slow rate, even the glider is not known yet.)

Wow, that looks like it'll last painfully long... my phone is crashing...

I found this out of some doodles! Looks like another repeating thing! What to call it?

The 1st phase:

O B B B
B B B O

The 2nd phase:
O O B O
B O O B
B O O B
O B O O
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4643
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by hotcrystal0 »

BokaBB wrote: March 11th, 2023, 5:28 am
hotcrystal0 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:03 pm This makes a weird moving thing...

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
3o$2b2o$3bo$b3o!
(Please keep this at a slow rate, even the glider is not known yet.)

Wow, that looks like it'll last painfully long... my phone is crashing...

I found this out of some doodles! Looks like another repeating thing! What to call it?

The 1st phase:

O B B B
B B B O

The 2nd phase:
O O B O
B O O B
B O O B
O B O O
(in this universe, let's pretend that the LWSS was discovered before the glider. Let's also pretend that nothing after generation 200 was ran because I was like, "This will continue forever!!!")

I'll call it the duopeater, because in the 1st phase it looks like two repeaters stuck together.
Last edited by hotcrystal0 on March 11th, 2023, 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
108 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

hotcrystal0 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:10 am
BokaBB wrote: March 11th, 2023, 5:28 am
hotcrystal0 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:03 pm This makes a weird moving thing...

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
3o$2b2o$3bo$b3o!
(Please keep this at a slow rate, even the glider is not known yet.)

Wow, that looks like it'll last painfully long... my phone is crashing...

I found this out of some doodles! Looks like another repeating thing! What to call it?

The 1st phase:

O B B B
B B B O

The 2nd phase:
O O B O
B O O B
B O O B
O B O O
(in this universe, let's pretend that the LWSS was discovered before the glider.)

I'll call it the duopeater, because in the 1st phase it looks like two repeaters stuck together.
(Oh, I understand.)
Well that's revolutionary! A mover!

Hmmmm, if we could make something that could periodically emit movers somehow we may as well make some interesting things! Probably only a wild dream of me though.

New stable pattern:
O B B O
B O O B
B O O B
O B B O

What about big puff? Or eye?
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

No, I got it! The garden! Let's be a bit poetic ;DDDD ...
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
get_Snacked
Posts: 542
Joined: August 20th, 2022, 10:51 pm

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by get_Snacked »

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
2o2bo7bo2b2o$b3o9b3o$2bo11bo!
since we have upgraded RLE, we can now copy and paste patterns with ease, and look at this alien object!
User avatar
rutabaga
Posts: 676
Joined: January 12th, 2023, 8:18 pm

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by rutabaga »

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
5o$o3bo$5o!
This looks really simple at first, but I think this is the first repeater with a repeat time of 3! It seems like higher repeat times could be possible too...

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = 2-a35-j8/2-ak34n5i78/3
.A$A.A$.A!
unadjustable p24150
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by BokaBB »

What about sun?
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 4643
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: wherever you think I am

Re: (Fun writing) Let's prefer CGOL has just been discovered!

Post by hotcrystal0 »

Here's a random two-mover explosion:

Code: Select all

x = 25, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$2ob2o$4o$b2o3$20b4o$20bo3bo$20bo$21bo2bo!
108 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!
Post Reply