Suggested LifeWiki edits

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Book
Posts: 385
Joined: August 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Broken link

Post by Book »

On this page https://conwaylife.com/wiki/LifeWiki:Li ... inks_Pages the dmoz: Open Directory Project link (https://dmoztools.net/Computers/Artific ... e_of_Life/) results in an error page.
Phil Bookman
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: Broken link

Post by confocaloid »

https://web.archive.org/web/20200508141 ... e_of_Life/
https://archive.is/2UVBT

P.S. This is not a "bug or error" in ConwayLife.com website. I think this would fit better as a post in Suggested LifeWiki edits thread, rather than as a separate thread.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12030
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Broken link

Post by dvgrn »

confocaloid wrote: December 15th, 2022, 7:39 pm https://web.archive.org/web/20200508141 ... e_of_Life/
https://archive.is/2UVBT

P.S. This is not a "bug or error" in ConwayLife.com website. I think this would fit better as a post in Suggested LifeWiki edits thread, rather than as a separate thread.
I had already updated the link to an archive.org link in the LifeWiki article, but I guess I used an older page capture.

I had also already planned to move the post to some other thread, basically due to Occam's Razor -- entities should not be proliferated unnecessarily... If a topic is so small that it's unlikely to ever have more than one or two posts in it, then it usually turns out that there's a less cluttersome place to put the message in question.
User avatar
rattlesnake
Posts: 167
Joined: May 28th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Location: Following a 37P4H1V0

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rattlesnake »

Two blockers hassling R-pentomino should be updated to mention the gun_6624 is now the gun_1656 with a quadri-Snark instead of a filtered gun_1656.
I have discovered SKOP for 105, 115, 188, 476, 492 and gun_ and guntrue_ for 226, 339, 752.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
Posts: 4591
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rowett »

These three Rules in the LifeWiki Rule namespace are invalid:
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-10symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-Brick10.table on line 4: var a={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/10Symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
Please can they be deleted.
User avatar
rattlesnake
Posts: 167
Joined: May 28th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Location: Following a 37P4H1V0

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rattlesnake »

Change 34P14 shuttle on dockyard to 34P14 shuttle on 34P20 in 34P14 shuttle.
I have discovered SKOP for 105, 115, 188, 476, 492 and gun_ and guntrue_ for 226, 339, 752.
User avatar
Ian07
Moderator
Posts: 899
Joined: September 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am
Location: Pennsylvania, US

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Ian07 »

rattlesnake wrote: December 24th, 2022, 11:49 pm Change 34P14 shuttle on dockyard to 34P14 shuttle on 34P20 in 34P14 shuttle.
Done.
Wiki: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/User:Ian07
Discord: lan07 (yes, that's a lowercase L)

xs24_69bobjob96
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
Posts: 4591
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rowett »

rowett wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 1:56 pm These three Rules in the LifeWiki Rule namespace are invalid:
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-10symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-Brick10.table on line 4: var a={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/10Symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
Please can they be deleted.
Attachments
repo-update.png
repo-update.png (195.12 KiB) Viewed 8166 times
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12030
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by dvgrn »

rowett wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 1:56 pm These three Rules in the LifeWiki Rule namespace are invalid:
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-10symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/1-2-Brick10.table on line 4: var a={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
  • Error reading Rules/10Symbiosis.table on line 4: var b={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} - state value out of range
Please can they be deleted.
Done. These were all added by Breaker's glider gun back in March, and I can't find any mentions or uses anywhere. Variables included states up to 10, but the number of states was given as 4.
User avatar
DroneBetter
Posts: 140
Joined: December 1st, 2021, 5:16 am
Location: the OEIS headquarters
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by DroneBetter »

Sorry if this counts as misuse of the thread (being that I'm asking not for someone to make an edit but whether I ought to proceed myself) but the tiki bar is slow and, I imagine, oft-overlooked by those who would have useful opinions or contributions on questions asked there due to its slowness.

I created the LifeWiki:Tiki bar#Should_LifeWiki_be_more_like_the_chessprogramming_wiki? thread, asking whether the ideas and implementation details of programs pertaining to cellular automata ought to be documented there as guides from which for people to make their own.

I have created Tutorials/Coding Life simulators/bitwise SWAR Life, it is complete but perhaps still somewhat abstruse (the user Redstoneboi here gave me some advice on readability), it's for the most part simple but explains the topological manifold implementation (with functions that define other functions for logarithmic-time bitwise reversal based on the board size to avoid loops), but gives an impression of what the other pages I intend to make will be like.

Specifically (as elaborated upon in the tiki bar thread), I have two other programs I made with ideas that I think are novel, my eightfold reducer (for efficiently generating only canonical instances of board states under symmetry (I made some of it when I wasn't very experienced with Python and the rest as a proof of concept, and will have to clean up a great deal)) and my dimensional INT enumerator (made for confirming the value in Isotropic non-totalistic cellular automaton#Table_of_isotropic_non-totalistic_rulespaces for the number of 3D INT transitions in the schoolbook way (go through all 2**3**3 neighbourhood states and check whether each is the lexicographical minimum of the 3!*2**3 versions of itself under the octahedral group's actions), but that I today modified to add the ability to generate closed-form equations for arbitrary numbers of dimensions), the indexing methods for the former (that will, upon my finishing the cleanup, allow efficient even partitioning of these irregular structure for parallelisation of searches, with slice notation) use the Pólya enumeration theorem/Burnside's lemma, and the latter computes it directly (taking under 3 seconds to solve the 3D case for all board widths (previously about 55 minutes for the 3*3*3 case) and about 10 minutes for the 4D case (that allowed the addition of a row to the aforementioned table, showing that the number of 4D INT transitions is 3148244699232062849152, which I'm sure will be of great meaning and value to us :-)). The former would be slightly more complicated than bitwise SWAR Life to explain in an article and the latter a great deal (but it is also a great deal more interesting, albeit more abstract and tenuously related to cellular automata), would anyone here object to (or have anything to say about) making such articles?

I'm also considering making a wiki page on the Pólya enumeration theorem itself, which wouldn't be only a duplicate of the Wikipedia article (which, as dvgrn said, is highly technical (ie. requires a fair bit of understanding of higher maths to understand the terminology of)) but could also include information specifically relating to cellular automata, like the equations apg shared a decade ago for the number of states in a rectangular bounded plane, perhaps there could be worked examples or tables for more with different neighbourhoods and boundary shapes if people would like to add them. If I were to make such an article, being that the programs I wish to document (with the ideas and details simultaneously) don't fit under "Coding Life simulators" (the first one perhaps but certainly not the second one), should they be subpages of that instead?
miaow
Book
Posts: 385
Joined: August 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Book »

The link for Conway’s Game of Life - An Illustrated Guide by Michael Hogg in LifeWiki:Life links section Glossaries and Encyclopediae is broken.
Phil Bookman
GUYTU6J
Posts: 2200
Joined: August 5th, 2016, 10:27 am
Location: 拆哪!I repeat, CHINA! (a.k.a. 种花家)
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by GUYTU6J »

Proposal:
1)Delete these four pages: c/4 (disambiguation), c/5 (disambiguation), c/6 (disambiguation), c/7 (disambiguation)
2)Redirect c/4 to c/4 spaceship, c/5 to c/5 spaceship, c/6 to c/6 spaceship, c/7 to c/7 spaceship
3)Explain the distinction between orthogonal and diagonal clearly on the four target pages in 2) with different norms like L^1, L^2 and/or L^infty.
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by confocaloid »

GUYTU6J wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:15 am Proposal:
1)Delete these four pages: c/4 (disambiguation), c/5 (disambiguation), c/6 (disambiguation), c/7 (disambiguation)
2)Redirect c/4 to c/4 spaceship, c/5 to c/5 spaceship, c/6 to c/6 spaceship, c/7 to c/7 spaceship
3)Explain the distinction between orthogonal and diagonal clearly on the four target pages in 2) with different norms like L^1, L^2 and/or L^infty.
I disagree. There are c/4 [-related] things that are not spaceships, and similarly for other speeds.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
User avatar
DroneBetter
Posts: 140
Joined: December 1st, 2021, 5:16 am
Location: the OEIS headquarters
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by DroneBetter »

DroneBetter wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:43 amSorry if this counts as misuse of the thread (being that I'm asking not for someone to make an edit but whether I ought to proceed myself) [...]
Once again perhaps violating the purpose (but I hope not the spirit) of the thread, I have now made Pólya enumeration theorem and Tutorials/Coding Life simulators/eightfold reducer, and would appreciate some advice or comments regarding readability (and which parts I ought to elaborate upon, being that I felt as though I was going quite quickly but couldn't find much else to say). Regarding the theorem, I only understand that it works, not why it should apply in all cases, does anyone know of any proofs that can be expressed in sufficiently simple terms (without assuming too much mathematical background of the reader)? Having finished the article about the reducer, I will now make a commit to my dimensional INT enumerator that will allow the page about it to be slightly more populated with equations, and perhaps even a few more entries for Isotropic non-totalistic cellular automaton#Table_of_isotropic_non-totalistic_rulespaces now that I have added the "4D non-totalistic" row (that increased the width of the Transitions column from 7 digits to 22 :-).
miaow
Book
Posts: 385
Joined: August 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Book »

I think Category:Pages with broken file links should exclude user and talk pages.
Phil Bookman
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by confocaloid »

Book wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm I think Category:Pages with broken file links should exclude user and talk pages.
I think it is safe to ignore both this category and pages listed in it, for most purposes. It seems to work in the way it should work.

Unlike (for example) Category:Glossary, this one is a hidden tracking category, not really intended to be interesting/useful for readers.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Book
Posts: 385
Joined: August 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Book »

confocaloid wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 11:49 pm
Book wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm I think Category:Pages with broken file links should exclude user and talk pages.
I think it is safe to ignore both this category and pages listed in it, for most purposes. It seems to work in the way it should work.

Unlike (for example) Category:Glossary, this one is a hidden tracking category, not really intended to be interesting/useful for readers.
It is very useful to those of us who backfill images that are routinely left as red links, and including user and talk pages is annoying.
Phil Bookman
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 6697
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Location: learn to protect yourself against stray gliders and sparks and self-destruct mechanisms

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by confocaloid »

Book wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:04 pm
confocaloid wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 11:49 pm
Book wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 5:35 pm I think Category:Pages with broken file links should exclude user and talk pages.
I think it is safe to ignore both this category and pages listed in it, for most purposes. It seems to work in the way it should work.

Unlike (for example) Category:Glossary, this one is a hidden tracking category, not really intended to be interesting/useful for readers.
It is very useful to those of us who backfill images that are routinely left as red links, and including user and talk pages is annoying.
See Category talk:Pages with broken file links#Filtered.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.
Naszvadi
Posts: 1467
Joined: May 7th, 2016, 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Naszvadi »

OCADOTY#2021's table filled with medalist, TBD, but feel free to extend with remaining entries!

[APPEND#1]
Done, ready to review!
User avatar
Anivec
Posts: 2003
Joined: January 28th, 2022, 7:18 pm
Location: In 4.3 miles, take a right onto Exit 54

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Anivec »

The bumper and bouncer gallery rle doesn't match with the actual pattern supplied. Also, the P34 bumper is missing
Bullet51
Posts: 712
Joined: July 21st, 2014, 4:35 am

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Bullet51 »

The black cells in the Walrus image are misaligned.
Still drifting.
Book
Posts: 385
Joined: August 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by Book »

Bullet51 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 11:02 pm The black cells in the Walrus image are misaligned.
fixed
Phil Bookman
User avatar
rattlesnake
Posts: 167
Joined: May 28th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Location: Following a 37P4H1V0

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rattlesnake »

Please mention the discovery of smaller glider guns of period 70, 72 and 84.
I have discovered SKOP for 105, 115, 188, 476, 492 and gun_ and guntrue_ for 226, 339, 752.
User avatar
rattlesnake
Posts: 167
Joined: May 28th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Location: Following a 37P4H1V0

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by rattlesnake »

What is the real speed of the Orthogonal loopship? The page has 2 different speeds: 1000130c/40007022 and 2000260c/40007022 but 1000130/40007022 is not equal to 2000260/40007022.
I have discovered SKOP for 105, 115, 188, 476, 492 and gun_ and guntrue_ for 226, 339, 752.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12030
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Suggested LifeWiki edits

Post by dvgrn »

rattlesnake wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:18 pm What is the real speed of the Orthogonal loopship? The page has 2 different speeds: 1000130c/40007022 and 2000260c/40007022 but 1000130/40007022 is not equal to 2000260/40007022.
Looks like I forgot to divide the denominator by two when I created that article. Fixed! (It's 1000130c/20003511.)
Post Reply