Life in Unusual Places

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Post Reply
Nickolas
Posts: 7
Joined: April 15th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Life in Unusual Places

Post by Nickolas »

I once made a Life simulator in StarCraft: Brood War. You can download the map here, or read a brief explanation of how it was implemented here. (Note that some 3rd-party editor shenanigans were used to achieve those minimap colors, and to allow multiple players to have the same minimap color, which StarCraft: Remastered doesn't support. The map otherwise runs fine in SC:R, though, as far as I know.)

What are some other examples of Life being found or implemented in unusual places? This could be anything from pointless and awful simulators like mine, to interesting representations in art or media, or anything else, really.
hotdogPi
Moderator
Posts: 2289
Joined: August 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Re: Life in Unusual Places

Post by hotdogPi »

I've seen it as a custom playable level in Baba Is You, where you have five rocks and need to create a glider to cross lava or something similar to complete the level.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered:

All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122

5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576

Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
Nickolas
Posts: 7
Joined: April 15th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Re: Life in Unusual Places

Post by Nickolas »

hotdogPi wrote: April 15th, 2022, 9:08 pm I've seen it as a custom playable level in Baba Is You, where you have five rocks and need to create a glider to cross lava or something similar to complete the level.
Very neat, I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0NR1kmMUo
Also a more efficient implementation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveTdtv0xiQ
Post Reply