Let's create a Semitic - like language!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Recently I was researching a bit about Semitic languages and I found an interesting feature which I liked a lot:triliteral roots used to make new words (or biliteral or quadriliteral sometimes). I haven't yet understood everything but I think that that is very logical and beautiful and I want to make a similar-working language.
The project will be completely egalitarian and democratic and everything will be well hopefully.
The language is likely going to be written in a Latin script,altrough I would really enjoy seeing it being written in a modified Hebrew or Arabic abjad.
Please try to keep the language relatively simple to learn,altrough you an experiment as much as you want.
Please support this project,I really would like to see it being completed.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:06 am Recently I was researching a bit about Semitic languages and I found an interesting feature which I liked a lot:triliteral roots used to make new words (or biliteral or quadriliteral sometimes). I haven't yet understood everything but I think that that is very logical and beautiful and I want to make a similar-working language.
The project will be completely egalitarian and democratic and everything will be well hopefully.
The language is likely going to be written in a Latin script,altrough I would really enjoy seeing it being written in a modified Hebrew or Arabic abjad.
Please try to keep the language relatively simple to learn,altrough you an experiment as much as you want.
Please support this project,I really would like to see it being completed.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
1) If you want a language you have to create a culture for it. Otherwise you run into a TON of problems.
2) To make a naturalistic triconsonantal root system you have to evolve them language over many iterations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPByou0EIb4
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:25 am
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:06 am Recently I was researching a bit about Semitic languages and I found an interesting feature which I liked a lot:triliteral roots used to make new words (or biliteral or quadriliteral sometimes). I haven't yet understood everything but I think that that is very logical and beautiful and I want to make a similar-working language.
The project will be completely egalitarian and democratic and everything will be well hopefully.
The language is likely going to be written in a Latin script,altrough I would really enjoy seeing it being written in a modified Hebrew or Arabic abjad.
Please try to keep the language relatively simple to learn,altrough you an experiment as much as you want.
Please support this project,I really would like to see it being completed.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
1) If you want a language you have to create a culture for it. Otherwise you run into a TON of problems.
2) To make a naturalistic triconsonantal root system you have to evolve them language over many iterations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPByou0EIb4
I don't care about naturalism,it is not a must (probably). Change my mind.
Have a good night!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:48 am I don't care about naturalism,it is not a must (probably). Change my mind.
Naturalism in conlanging is IMO the best approach. I suggest you watch Biblaridion's and Artifexian's conlanging videos. And even if you don't want naturalism you have to figure out who actually speaks the language. Not just because cultures might not have words for certain objects or have finer distinctions than others on certain topics, but because language and culture are fundamentally linked. You can't think of them separately.
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:48 am Have a good night!

BokaBB
Wait are you going to bed now?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:56 am
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:48 am I don't care about naturalism,it is not a must (probably). Change my mind.
Naturalism in conlanging is IMO the best approach. I suggest you watch Biblaridion's and Artifexian's conlanging videos. And even if you don't want naturalism you have to figure out who actually speaks the language. Not just because cultures might not have words for certain objects or have finer distinctions than others on certain topics, but because language and culture are fundamentally linked. You can't think of them separately.
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:48 am Have a good night!

BokaBB
Wait are you going to bed now?
Accidentally wrote that. I don't plan to sleep anytime soon.
Please tell more,I will do whatever is needed to make this.
I said something important at Board And Card Games,go there to see it.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:58 am Accidentally wrote that. I don't plan to sleep anytime soon.
Please tell more,I will do whatever is needed to make this.
I said something important at Board And Card Games,go there to see it.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I unfortunately don't know much about culture building. They are so diverse you don't really know where to start from. Geography is certainly an important actor for one. I also don't support using a script based on existing ones.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 17th, 2021, 12:17 pm
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:58 am Accidentally wrote that. I don't plan to sleep anytime soon.
Please tell more,I will do whatever is needed to make this.
I said something important at Board And Card Games,go there to see it.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I unfortunately don't know much about culture building. They are so diverse you don't really know where to start from. Geography is certainly an important actor for one. I also don't support using a script based on existing ones.
I believe the speakers of this language should live in similar regions as the real Semites,deserts and plains with occasional mountains.
I support the use of a script based on existing Semitic ones to capture the spirit as much as possible. However,letters don't nesecarrily have to encode the same sound as in real life to increase the number of possibilities.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Please help me here. I won't be able right now to help since I have a job,but I can help later.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe the speakers of this language should live in similar regions as the real Semites,deserts and plains with occasional mountains.
I support the use of a script based on existing Semitic ones to capture the spirit as much as possible. However,letters don't nesecarrily have to encode the same sound as in real life to increase the number of possibilities.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
You should watch Artifexian's video on creating a writing system. Then we can talk about the script.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:25 am
BokaBB wrote: January 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe the speakers of this language should live in similar regions as the real Semites,deserts and plains with occasional mountains.
I support the use of a script based on existing Semitic ones to capture the spirit as much as possible. However,letters don't nesecarrily have to encode the same sound as in real life to increase the number of possibilities.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
You should watch Artifexian's video on creating a writing system. Then we can talk about the script.
I know everything possible about writing systems already.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 9:04 am I know everything possible about writing systems already.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I doubt you do. I learned some a bunch of stuff from that video. It goes into detail, though is easy to understand and mentions things you might never have considered.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 9:10 am
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 9:04 am I know everything possible about writing systems already.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I doubt you do. I learned some a bunch of stuff from that video. It goes into detail, though is easy to understand and mentions things you might never have considered.
No,I know everything about pictograms,ideograms,logograms, syllabaries,alphasyllabaries,abugidas,abjads,alphabets and featural scripts. I know them all. All.
Let's start directly.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:36 am No,I know everything about pictograms,ideograms,logograms, syllabaries,alphasyllabaries,abugidas,abjads,alphabets and featural scripts. I know them all. All.
Let's start directly.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
That's not all there is to know. Stop being arrogant and watch the video. It talks about more than just types of scripts.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:41 am
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:36 am No,I know everything about pictograms,ideograms,logograms, syllabaries,alphasyllabaries,abugidas,abjads,alphabets and featural scripts. I know them all. All.
Let's start directly.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
That's not all there is to know. Stop being arrogant and watch the video. It talks about more than just types of scripts.
Oh,that one?I did long ago. However,I learned basic types on Wikipedia I swear.
I really want to be able to write in this language in non-Latin script here. Any invented one would need using picture attachments.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:43 am Oh,that one?I did long ago. However,I learned basic types on Wikipedia I swear.
I really want to be able to write in this language in non-Latin script. Any invented one would need using picture attachments.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Ok, good. We should also have some sort of ancestral language. Languages without evolution don't work very well.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:49 am
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:43 am Oh,that one?I did long ago. However,I learned basic types on Wikipedia I swear.
I really want to be able to write in this language in non-Latin script. Any invented one would need using picture attachments.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Ok, good. We should also have some sort of ancestral language. Languages without evolution don't work very well.
Yes. But that one would also need an ancestral language,that too,that too,that too etc.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:54 am Yes. But that one would also need an ancestral language,that too,that too,that too etc.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Language has to originate somewhere. It's still not fully understood or agreed upon, but we can create something.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:03 pm
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:54 am Yes. But that one would also need an ancestral language,that too,that too,that too etc.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Language has to originate somewhere. It's still not fully understood or agreed upon, but we can create something.
Thanks,I understand. I also thought so.
Should there be long and short vowels in this language? While I couldn't detect the difference in Hawaiian on Duolingo,I can't always in Serbian and not sure if in other languages with that. In Serbia all our sounds are very distinct and I can't differ two sounds with only tiny differences.
Let's make phonology and phonotactics first. I believe every letter must be one sound.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:26 pm Thanks,I understand. I also thought so.
Should there be long and short vowels in this language? While I couldn't detect the difference in Hawaiian on Duolingo,I can't always in Serbian and not sure if in other languages with that. In Serbia all our sounds are very distinct and I can't differ two sounds with only tiny differences.
Let's make phonology and phonotactics first. I believe every letter must be one sound.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Long vowels aren't technically vowels, they have two different sounds. For example "play" is pronounced /pleɪ/. Notice it has two vowels in it. I will watch Artifexian's video on choosing sounds when I get a chance. I would like there to be ejectives. Are you okay with that? Can you pronounce them? I can.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:48 pm
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:26 pm Thanks,I understand. I also thought so.
Should there be long and short vowels in this language? While I couldn't detect the difference in Hawaiian on Duolingo,I can't always in Serbian and not sure if in other languages with that. In Serbia all our sounds are very distinct and I can't differ two sounds with only tiny differences.
Let's make phonology and phonotactics first. I believe every letter must be one sound.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Long vowels aren't technically vowels, they have two different sounds. For example "play" is pronounced /pleɪ/. Notice it has two vowels in it. I will watch Artifexian's video on choosing sounds when I get a chance. I would like there to be ejectives. Are you okay with that? Can you pronounce them? I can.
That sound in play to me mostly sounds like /j/,altrough it indeed looks a little like a cross of /i/ and /j/.
I only know how to pronounce ejective p so far,but I will still support any other with pronunciation teaching. I know that that they sound like they are ejected and that is useful.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 1:42 pm That sound in play to me mostly sounds like /j/,altrough it indeed looks a little like a cross of /i/ and /j/.
I only know how to pronounce ejective p so far,but I will still support any other with pronunciation teaching. I know that that they sound like they are ejected and that is useful.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I learned to pronounce them by trying to pronounce consonants while holding my breath. I think I can pronounce most of the ones that I can reliably pronounce their pulmonic counterparts of.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 18th, 2021, 1:56 pm
BokaBB wrote: January 18th, 2021, 1:42 pm That sound in play to me mostly sounds like /j/,altrough it indeed looks a little like a cross of /i/ and /j/.
I only know how to pronounce ejective p so far,but I will still support any other with pronunciation teaching. I know that that they sound like they are ejected and that is useful.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I learned to pronounce them by trying to pronounce consonants while holding my breath. I think I can pronounce most of the ones that I can reliably pronounce their pulmonic counterparts of.
I will see what we can do.
Let's first begin with the script that we will use.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:34 am I will see what we can do.
Let's first begin with the script that we will use.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I say it's written with letters in a word being written together, spaces between words, and written in columns up -> down left -> right. We will also evolve it over time so it doesn't necessarily have to be an abjad at first.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:53 am
BokaBB wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:34 am I will see what we can do.
Let's first begin with the script that we will use.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I say it's written with letters in a word being written together, spaces between words, and written in columns up -> down left -> right. We will also evolve it over time so it doesn't necessarily have to be an abjad at first.
Interesting thought. However,I wish to be able to write here in that script because anything else would only be able to be handwritten ande sent in pictual messages.
D A T T
O B H H
O I I
Y U N S
O T G ?
U L
S I
T O K
H M E
I E
N -
K
Note:please quote to see rightly,site changes things.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a Semitic - like language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:58 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:53 am
BokaBB wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:34 am I will see what we can do.
Let's first begin with the script that we will use.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I say it's written with letters in a word being written together, spaces between words, and written in columns up -> down left -> right. We will also evolve it over time so it doesn't necessarily have to be an abjad at first.
Interesting thought. However,I wish to be able to write here in that script because anything else would only be able to be handwritten ande sent in pictual messages.
D A T T
O B H H
O I I
Y U N S
O T G ?
U L
S I
T O K
H M E
I E
N -
K
Note:please quote to see rightly,site changes things.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Yes, exactly like that. There are also probably some online tools for making scripts.
Edit: But the letters in a word are fused together.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Post Reply