Let's create a good language!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:12 am I don't know how exactly, you can ask others. I think we should change vowels/add consonants.
Okay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.
Ok sorry. I forgot. Can we formally add /v/? Isn't <j> /j/? /aj/ and /ai/ also sound different. Infinitive is now -(m)aj.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Hunting
Posts: 4401
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Hunting »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
Not again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
Not again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?
I think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 am Okay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.
Why was it that we didn't have those sounds?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Hunting
Posts: 4401
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Hunting »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 am
Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
Not again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?
I think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.
I think we are not BokaBB.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:01 am I think we are not BokaBB.
Please don't do this. We are perfectly fine right now. We could use your help and ideas. Also, please make sure any posts you make contribute something.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:59 am Ok sorry. I forgot. Can we formally add /v/?
Maybe, but how would that interact with sandhi?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:59 am Isn't <j> /j/? /aj/ and /ai/ also sound different.
Aren't vowels in hiatus illegal except as part of a diphthong? I think that was one of those things we kinda agreed upon but didn't formally include anywhere.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 am
Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
Not again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?
I think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.
Yep.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 am Okay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.
Why was it that we didn't have those sounds?
/r/ because choosing rhotics is awkward and the others because if we have one voiced sound we pretty much need to have them all because sandhi and writing some of them is awkward.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:12 am
Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:01 am I think we are not BokaBB.
Please don't do this. We are perfectly fine right now. We could use your help and ideas. Also, please make sure any posts you make contribute something.
Agreed. Plus, we already did some grammar discussion before making words and affixes.

I think the things we should do next are make Schiaparellio's words and affixes compatible with the phonology/orthography (one way or another), add stuff to the page, and make more words and grammar and stuff.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm Maybe, but how would that interact with sandhi?
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm /r/ because choosing rhotics is awkward and the others because if we have one voiced sound we pretty much need to have them all because sandhi and writing some of them is awkward.
Why was it a problem with sandhi?
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm Aren't vowels in hiatus illegal except as part of a diphthong? I think that was one of those things we kinda agreed upon but didn't formally include anywhere.
What do you mean by "in hiatus"?
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm I think the things we should do next are make Schiaparellio's words and affixes compatible with the phonology/orthography (one way or another), add stuff to the page, and make more words and grammar and stuff.
What should I add now?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm Why was it a problem with sandhi?
Because if we have /v/, an affix could change it to a stop, making /b/. Repeating that can get you too many consonants to write cleanly with the Latin alphabet.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm What do you mean by "in hiatus"?
Adjacent with no intervening consonant(s).
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm What should I add now?
To the page, all the words and stuff we've posted so far. Anything on the page should have already been posted on the thread, so if you want to change anything before adding it, describe your changes in a post here. To the language, more words and maybe some derivational affixes, preferably not violating the existing phonology/phonotactics/orthography.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm Because if we have /v/, an affix could change it to a stop, making /b/. Repeating that can get you too many consonants to write cleanly with the Latin alphabet.
So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm Adjacent with no intervening consonant(s).
Could you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.
Yep
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm Adjacent with no intervening consonant(s).
Could you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
/ai/
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:10 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.
Yep
Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:10 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm Could you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
/ai/
But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/. Sorry if I can't understand something simple.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?
Maybe. I don't really like that idea though.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/.
That's true.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Sorry if I can't understand something simple.
It's fine.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:24 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?
Maybe. I don't really like that idea though.
Let's ask others their ideas on that.
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:24 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/.
That's true.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Sorry if I can't understand something simple.
It's fine.
Ok so how are my words illegitimate?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm Let's ask others their ideas on that.
Okay.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm Ok so how are my words illegitimate?
/rgbv/ are not phonemes. (At least, not yet anyway.)
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm Ok so how are my words illegitimate?
/rgbv/ are not phonemes. (At least, not yet anyway.)
How are they illegitimate /aj/wise?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
I didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying. I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
I didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying.
Okay. There are still problems with /rbgv/ though.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 am I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?
I already did that.

Code: Select all

Infinitive		(m)ai
Simple present		han
Continuous present	(X/l)eihc
Simple future		(S/l)uh
Continuous future	(H/h)em
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 am -(m)ay was infinitive, but irregular verbs are fine. We just need to conjugate them. Are all the verbs you gave irregular? If not, in the future please
make them infinitive. The verbs I'm giving now are regular but if you want to we can change that.
to come - jaray
to want - vablomay
to have -feray
I think the articles are too varying to remember. I propose changing a letter or two, like in German.
Infinitive: -(m)ai
to come - janai
to want - fablomai
to have - fezai
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

<fablomay> still contains a /b/. Anyway, with that change, we can now say stuff like <Ngwes fezhanlet> "I have food". I just noticed that /ezha/ is tricky to pronounce. Also, we should remove the initial consonants of the person suffixes.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:29 am <fablomay> still contains a /b/. Anyway, with that change, we can now say stuff like <Ngwes fezhanlet> "I have food". I just noticed that /ezha/ is tricky to pronounce. Also, we should remove the initial consonants of the person suffixes.
Sorry.
fablomai -> faplomai
I think <zh> should be banned. I will now update the page.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Maybe we could make all clusters of sounds in /sʃç/ assimilate to the earliest sound. Also, maybe we should make some derivational affixes so we don't have to make as many words.
Hunting
Posts: 4401
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Hunting »

So <j> is /j/ and <i> is /i/ but <ai> is /aj/?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
I didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying. I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?
But why? Aren't they written their IPA character?

Suggestion: Use Chinese Model
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Hunting wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:01 am So <j> is /j/ and <i> is /i/ but <ai> is /aj/?
But why? Aren't they written their IPA character?

Suggestion: Use Chinese Model
I don't know when exactly we agreed on it but apparently we did. What is the Chinese model?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a good language!

Post by fluffykitty »

One thing I was thinking of doing is handling conjunctions like "and" and "or" with something like "foo and bar" <foo X bar Y>, where X and Y are as-yet undecided words. I imagine that distinctions between conjunctions will be made more on the Ys than the Xs. What do you think?
Post Reply