Let's create a language!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

fluffykitty wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:44 pm I already made one of those a while ago.
If you are talking about your phonotactics,I will see if we can use something. I will try to use some as a kind of sorry.
Do you forgive me?
Also,can you repost the spreadsheet?I cannot now.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:44 pm I already made one of those a while ago.
If you are talking about your phonotactics,I will see if we can use something. I will try to use some as a kind of sorry.
Do you forgive me?
Also,can you repost the spreadsheet?I cannot now.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1126530732
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

BokaBB wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 19th, 2020, 3:44 pm I already made one of those a while ago.
If you are talking about your phonotactics,I will see if we can use something. I will try to use some as a kind of sorry.
Do you forgive me?
Also,can you repost the spreadsheet?I cannot now.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

You did read the post above yours, right?
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 20th, 2020, 3:35 pm You did read the post above yours, right?
I think he's asking again whether we forgive him or not.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 20th, 2020, 3:37 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 20th, 2020, 3:35 pm You did read the post above yours, right?
I think he's asking again whether we forgive him or not.
Sì.
Do you?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 7:55 am Sì.
Do you?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Yes.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:32 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 7:55 am Sì.
Do you?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Yes.
Lisko eute!
Eu - time
Eut - infinite
-Te - -ly
Let's work on Komal phonotactics a bit!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:18 am Lisko eute!
Eu - time
Eut - infinite
-Te - -ly
Let's work on Komal phonotactics a bit!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
What consonant clusters do you want allowed?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:24 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:18 am Lisko eute!
Eu - time
Eut - infinite
-Te - -ly
Let's work on Komal phonotactics a bit!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
What consonant clusters do you want allowed?
All that were used so far.
I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed. I may change that if opposed though.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am All that were used so far.
I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed. I may change that if opposed though.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
As far as I can see, <ng>, which I guess is /ŋ/, thus only a single sound, is the only consonant cluster used until now. I think we should have more.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:58 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am All that were used so far.
I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed. I may change that if opposed though.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
As far as I can see, <ng>, which I guess is /ŋ/, thus only a single sound, is the only consonant cluster used until now. I think we should have more.
Pv,rv,st and some others?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:02 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:58 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am All that were used so far.
I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed. I may change that if opposed though.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
As far as I can see, <ng>, which I guess is /ŋ/, thus only a single sound, is the only consonant cluster used until now. I think we should have more.
Pv,rv,st and some others?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:25 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:02 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:58 am
As far as I can see, <ng>, which I guess is /ŋ/, thus only a single sound, is the only consonant cluster used until now. I think we should have more.
Pv,rv,st and some others?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Please quote yourself. I don't think two plosives next to each other should be allowed. What do you think?
Edit: Please DON'T quote yourself. Sorry.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:33 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:25 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:02 am
Pv,rv,st and some others?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Please quote yourself. I don't think two plosives next to each other should be allowed. What do you think?
Edit: Please DON'T quote yourself. Sorry.
I forgot what are the plosives, please post here.
You can edit the text of the message.
I quote myself to signify a thing and make others don't forget it.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
wwei23

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by wwei23 »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:38 am I forgot what are the plosives, please post here.
I believe that plosives are the ones you can't put next to each other. My word generation algorithm worked by alternating vowels and consonants, a trick first mentioned in the xkcd what if book, on the question about naming all stars or something like that. The example they showed was (no, I'm not joking) "joebidenjoebidenjoebiden". If we look at the first "joebiden", we see that each two-letter segment consists of a vowel and a consonant: "jo", "eb", "id", and "en". I also tried having an extra vowel or consonant at the end or beginning or both, so this might lead to "ajoebids", which decomposes into "a", "jo", "eb", "id", and "s". Moderators, I have no intention of politics talk, and Joe Biden, sorry for mutilating your name around like this.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

wwei23 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:44 am
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:38 am I forgot what are the plosives, please post here.
I believe that plosives are the ones you can't put next to each other. My word generation algorithm worked by alternating vowels and consonants, a trick first mentioned in the xkcd what if book, on the question about naming all stars or something like that. The example they showed was (no, I'm not joking) "joebidenjoebidenjoebiden". If we look at the first "joebiden", we see that each two-letter segment consists of a vowel and a consonant: "jo", "eb", "id", and "en". I also tried having an extra vowel or consonant at the end or beginning or both, so this might lead to "ajoebids", which decomposes into "a", "jo", "eb", "id", and "s". Moderators, I have no intention of politics talk, and Joe Biden, sorry for mutilating your name around like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plosive. They can be next to each other in English like "apt".
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
wwei23

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by wwei23 »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:48 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plosive. They can be next to each other in English like "apt".
Oops, I meant in the same syllable :P
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

wwei23 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:49 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:48 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plosive. They can be next to each other in English like "apt".
Oops, I meant in the same syllable :P
"Apt" is already one syllable. Do you think we should allow this in this language?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
wwei23

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by wwei23 »

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Didn't you say that plosives shouldn't be next too each other?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 12th, 2020, 11:06 am 1)Plosives shouldn't be in the same syllable next to each other like "btiop".
("btiop" was supposed to decompose into "b", "ti", and "op".)
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:51 am
wwei23 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:49 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:48 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plosive. They can be next to each other in English like "apt".
Oops, I meant in the same syllable :P
"Apt" is already one syllable. Do you think we should allow this in this language?
Apteo - to fly
Apte - plane
Aptes - wing
-es - like a second -e,secondary object used for something
I started a project for making a tonal language!
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

wwei23 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:53 am Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Didn't you say that plosives shouldn't be next too each other?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 12th, 2020, 11:06 am 1)Plosives shouldn't be in the same syllable next to each other like "btiop".
("btiop" was supposed to decompose into "b", "ti", and "op".)
You shouldn't separate syllables likes that. I said they shouldn't be in this language. English's phonotactics are not mine to judge.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed.
I'd just like to mention that my phonotactics doesn't change consonant clusters to sounds not occurring in the clusters.
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:24 pm
BokaBB wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am I am not a fan of consonants joining to creatte new sounds. Instead I prefer that one of them gets removed.
I'd just like to mention that my phonotactics doesn't change consonant clusters to sounds not occurring in the clusters.
What I wanted to say is is something like vf occurs due to affixes,we will remove v or f.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

My phonotactics allows stuff like <avfa> /avfa>. AFAIK there are no affixes that would produce something like <avf> or <vfa>, so reduction in that case isn't necessary.
Post Reply