Ok sorry. I forgot. Can we formally add /v/? Isn't <j> /j/? /aj/ and /ai/ also sound different. Infinitive is now -(m)aj.fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 amOkay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:12 am I don't know how exactly, you can ask others. I think we should change vowels/add consonants.
Let's create a good language!
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Re: Let's create a good language!
Not again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
I think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 amNot again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
Why was it that we didn't have those sounds?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 am Okay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Re: Let's create a good language!
I think we are not BokaBB.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 amI think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 amNot again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Please don't do this. We are perfectly fine right now. We could use your help and ideas. Also, please make sure any posts you make contribute something.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Maybe, but how would that interact with sandhi?
Aren't vowels in hiatus illegal except as part of a diphthong? I think that was one of those things we kinda agreed upon but didn't formally include anywhere.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:59 am Isn't <j> /j/? /aj/ and /ai/ also sound different.
Yep.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 amI think we can make grammar and words at the same time. We do after all need words to use grammar.Hunting wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:04 amNot again, we are not yet at that stage. What tenses do we have?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:15 am Okay. Let's make more then. <zyfk> "to say", <slauc> "to speak", <mask> "word". Do you want to make the auxiliaries and tense endings or should I?
/r/ because choosing rhotics is awkward and the others because if we have one voiced sound we pretty much need to have them all because sandhi and writing some of them is awkward.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:34 amWhy was it that we didn't have those sounds?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 6:27 am Okay. Also, /r/, /g/, /v/, and /b/ are not in the phonology, and /ai/ is spelled <ai>, not <aj> or <ay>. Please either revise your words or formally alter the phonology/orthography to accommodate them.
Agreed. Plus, we already did some grammar discussion before making words and affixes.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 10:12 amPlease don't do this. We are perfectly fine right now. We could use your help and ideas. Also, please make sure any posts you make contribute something.
I think the things we should do next are make Schiaparellio's words and affixes compatible with the phonology/orthography (one way or another), add stuff to the page, and make more words and grammar and stuff.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Why was it a problem with sandhi?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm /r/ because choosing rhotics is awkward and the others because if we have one voiced sound we pretty much need to have them all because sandhi and writing some of them is awkward.
What do you mean by "in hiatus"?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm Aren't vowels in hiatus illegal except as part of a diphthong? I think that was one of those things we kinda agreed upon but didn't formally include anywhere.
What should I add now?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm I think the things we should do next are make Schiaparellio's words and affixes compatible with the phonology/orthography (one way or another), add stuff to the page, and make more words and grammar and stuff.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Because if we have /v/, an affix could change it to a stop, making /b/. Repeating that can get you too many consonants to write cleanly with the Latin alphabet.
Adjacent with no intervening consonant(s).
To the page, all the words and stuff we've posted so far. Anything on the page should have already been posted on the thread, so if you want to change anything before adding it, describe your changes in a post here. To the language, more words and maybe some derivational affixes, preferably not violating the existing phonology/phonotactics/orthography.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm Because if we have /v/, an affix could change it to a stop, making /b/. Repeating that can get you too many consonants to write cleanly with the Latin alphabet.
Could you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
YepSchiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.
/ai/Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pmCould you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:10 pmYepSchiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm So if I understand you correctly, /k/ becomes /x/, which we both already have, but /g/ would need to become /ɣ/. Same problem with /t/ and /d/, except reversed.
But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/. Sorry if I can't understand something simple.fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:10 pm/ai/Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm Could you give an example? As I said before, /j/ isn't a vowel.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Maybe. I don't really like that idea though.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?
That's true.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/.
It's fine.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Sorry if I can't understand something simple.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Let's ask others their ideas on that.fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:24 pmMaybe. I don't really like that idea though.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Can't we have sandhi for only certain consonants?
Ok so how are my words illegitimate?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:24 pmThat's true.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm But my words didn't use that. They used /aj/.It's fine.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm Sorry if I can't understand something simple.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Okay.
/rgbv/ are not phonemes. (At least, not yet anyway.)
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
How are they illegitimate /aj/wise?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm/rgbv/ are not phonemes. (At least, not yet anyway.)
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
I didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying. I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Okay. There are still problems with /rbgv/ though.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 amI didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying.fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
I already did that.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 am I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?
Code: Select all
Infinitive (m)ai
Simple present han
Continuous present (X/l)eihc
Simple future (S/l)uh
Continuous future (H/h)em-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Infinitive: -(m)aiSchiaparelliorbust wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 am -(m)ay was infinitive, but irregular verbs are fine. We just need to conjugate them. Are all the verbs you gave irregular? If not, in the future please
make them infinitive. The verbs I'm giving now are regular but if you want to we can change that.
to come - jaray
to want - vablomay
to have -feray
I think the articles are too varying to remember. I propose changing a letter or two, like in German.
to come - janai
to want - fablomai
to have - fezai
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
<fablomay> still contains a /b/. Anyway, with that change, we can now say stuff like <Ngwes fezhanlet> "I have food". I just noticed that /ezha/ is tricky to pronounce. Also, we should remove the initial consonants of the person suffixes.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
Sorry.fluffykitty wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:29 am <fablomay> still contains a /b/. Anyway, with that change, we can now say stuff like <Ngwes fezhanlet> "I have food". I just noticed that /ezha/ is tricky to pronounce. Also, we should remove the initial consonants of the person suffixes.
fablomai -> faplomai
I think <zh> should be banned. I will now update the page.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
Maybe we could make all clusters of sounds in /sʃç/ assimilate to the earliest sound. Also, maybe we should make some derivational affixes so we don't have to make as many words.
Re: Let's create a good language!
So <j> is /j/ and <i> is /i/ but <ai> is /aj/?
Suggestion: Use Chinese Model
But why? Aren't they written their IPA character?Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:18 amI didn't know that /aj/ was written as <ai>. Thanks for clarifying. I'll revise my words and can you please make the verb endings?fluffykitty wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm I think they're fine in that regard. However, if we're changing our orthography to write /aj/ as <aj> and not <ai>, then the page should be updated.
Suggestion: Use Chinese Model
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Let's create a good language!
I don't know when exactly we agreed on it but apparently we did. What is the Chinese model?Hunting wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:01 am So <j> is /j/ and <i> is /i/ but <ai> is /aj/?
But why? Aren't they written their IPA character?
Suggestion: Use Chinese Model
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
-
fluffykitty
- Posts: 1178
- Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Let's create a good language!
One thing I was thinking of doing is handling conjunctions like "and" and "or" with something like "foo and bar" <foo X bar Y>, where X and Y are as-yet undecided words. I imagine that distinctions between conjunctions will be made more on the Ys than the Xs. What do you think?