The Near-Anagram Game

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:47 pm limber
(Also, I have noticed that some of the near-anagrams do not involve much rearrangement of the letters. I believe that the game is more fun when the near-anagrams are more creative.)
Berlin
//Do proper nouns count?
//I'm trying to do that, though it can be hard. I turned tempore into meteor yesterday.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:57 pmBerlin
//Do proper nouns count?
(I would prefer for us to not use proper nouns because allowing proper nouns can blur the line between words and non-words, but I understand that it may be difficult to think of near-anagrams. I know that there is at least one legal non-proper word that involves rearranging letters, but if you can't think of any after spending a minute or so, I'll let you stick with Berlin.)
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:47 pm//I'm trying to do that, though it can be hard. I turned tempore into meteor yesterday.
(Thank you.)
I am tentatively considering myself back.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:28 pm
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:57 pmBerlin
//Do proper nouns count?
(I would prefer for us to not use proper nouns because allowing proper nouns can blur the line between words and non-words, but I understand that it may be difficult to think of near-anagrams. I know that there is at least one legal non-proper word that involves rearranging letters, but if you can't think of any after spending a minute or so, I'll let you stick with Berlin.)
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:47 pm//I'm trying to do that, though it can be hard. I turned tempore into meteor yesterday.
(Thank you.)
What word is that?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:30 pmWhat word is that?
(milder)
I am tentatively considering myself back.
Joaquin
Posts: 3
Joined: October 27th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Joaquin »

remold—to redo the molding on a doorframe
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

Joaquin wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:57 pm remold—to redo the molding on a doorframe
(Milder actually doesn't count as a word because I had also typed the previous word, and users are not allowed to reply to their own words. The current word is limber (although you are free to respond to it with milder. Your word was a creative rearrangement, though.)

(Also, welcome to the ConwayLife forums.)
I am tentatively considering myself back.
Joaquin
Posts: 3
Joined: October 27th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Joaquin »

Bimble
I was going to do "Bumble," but then I realized that the word was "Limber," not "Lumber." I looked it up and apparently "bimble" is a real word, meaning to walk at a leisurely pace. You learn something new every day.
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

Joaquin wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm Bimble
nibble
I am tentatively considering myself back.
User avatar
wzkchem5
Posts: 127
Joined: April 17th, 2020, 2:19 am
Location: Valles Marineris, Mars

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by wzkchem5 »

MathAndCode wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:23 pm
Joaquin wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm Bimble
nibble
bible
The Red Phoenix, The Yellow Phoenix, The Pink Phoenix And The Multicolored Phoenix
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

wzkchem5 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 12:23 ambible
belie
I am tentatively considering myself back.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

MathAndCode wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 12:38 am belie
liable
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:16 amliable
billed
I am tentatively considering myself back.
User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 4315
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Moosey »

MathAndCode wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:19 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:16 amliable
billed
libels
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Moosey wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:59 am libels
labels
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
User avatar
wzkchem5
Posts: 127
Joined: April 17th, 2020, 2:19 am
Location: Valles Marineris, Mars

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by wzkchem5 »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 9:05 am
Moosey wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:59 am libels
labels
Isabel
The Red Phoenix, The Yellow Phoenix, The Pink Phoenix And The Multicolored Phoenix
User avatar
praosylen
Posts: 2449
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: Pembina University, Home of the Gliders
Contact:

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by praosylen »

wzkchem5 wrote: November 6th, 2020, 10:24 pm Isabel
Ansible
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

wzkchem5 wrote: November 6th, 2020, 10:24 pmIsabel
(I would prefer for proper nouns not to be used. However, I will let your word remain if you cannot think of any other near anagrams.)
I am tentatively considering myself back.
User avatar
LuxiusGOL
Posts: 116
Joined: April 6th, 2020, 4:28 pm
Location: Giakteda, HKD, Tesana

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by LuxiusGOL »

MathAndCode wrote: October 25th, 2020, 6:41 pm
A for awesome wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:16 pmdefend
fender
bender
iambackhooray
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

LuxiusGOL wrote: November 7th, 2020, 5:27 pmbender
inbred

(Could we please try to come up with more creative near-anagrams? Many of the near-anagrams posted do not involve rearrangement.)



Edit: I just realized that that word was from a while back. Please respond to the previous valid word (labels). In the future, if there are multiple pages in a thread, there will be a next page button near the bottom of the screen.
I am tentatively considering myself back.
User avatar
wzkchem5
Posts: 127
Joined: April 17th, 2020, 2:19 am
Location: Valles Marineris, Mars

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by wzkchem5 »

MathAndCode wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:19 am
wzkchem5 wrote: November 6th, 2020, 10:24 pmIsabel
(I would prefer for proper nouns not to be used. However, I will let your word remain if you cannot think of any other near anagrams.)
You are right in that if any proper nouns can be used, one can as well put forward people names in different languages, especially Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese etc. where a sizeable proportion of all possible syllables can act as names. For example if the first word is tan, the near-anagram can go like Tang (Chinese name), Tani (Japanese name), Jian (Chinese name), Jin (Chinese/Japanese name), Min (Chinese name), Minh (Vietnamese name), etc.
But still I think that sufficiently common names in the Engligh-speaking world should be recognized, given that it's then much harder to abuse the rule in the above way.
The Red Phoenix, The Yellow Phoenix, The Pink Phoenix And The Multicolored Phoenix
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

wzkchem5 wrote: November 8th, 2020, 12:51 amYou are right in that if any proper nouns can be used, one can as well put forward people names in different languages, especially Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese etc. where a sizeable proportion of all possible syllables can act as names. For example if the first word is tan, the near-anagram can go like Tang (Chinese name), Tani (Japanese name), Jian (Chinese name), Jin (Chinese/Japanese name), Min (Chinese name), Minh (Vietnamese name), etc.
But still I think that sufficiently common names in the Engligh-speaking world should be recognized, given that it's then much harder to abuse the rule in the above way.
Yes, but like I said before, whether or not a word is sufficiently common is not well-defined, so the line can easily be blurred. In addition, there may be spelling variations.
Another reason why I don't want to use proper nouns is because I view capitalization as somewhat of an additional change.
I am tentatively considering myself back.
the lifestroyer
Posts: 109
Joined: October 30th, 2020, 4:12 am
Location: earth,the Solar System, Oort Cloud, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group,Universe

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by the lifestroyer »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 9:05 am labels

L-SABER
"insert compliment here"
pls check my gameHere
A must for minecraft fans
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

the lifestroyer wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:33 am L-SABER
rebase
//Is that short for lightsaber?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
User avatar
EvinZL
Posts: 1074
Joined: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
Location: here

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by EvinZL »

MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:47 pmlimber
(Also, I have noticed that some of the near-anagrams do not involve much rearrangement of the letters. I believe that the game is more fun when the near-anagrams are more creative.)
Berlin
MathAndCode
Posts: 5274
Joined: August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Re: The Near-Anagram Game

Post by MathAndCode »

EvinZL wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:30 am
MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:47 pmlimber
(Also, I have noticed that some of the near-anagrams do not involve much rearrangement of the letters. I believe that the game is more fun when the near-anagrams are more creative.)
Berlin
MathAndCode wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:28 pmI would prefer for us to not use proper nouns because allowing proper nouns can blur the line between words and non-words, but I understand that it may be difficult to think of near-anagrams. I know that there is at least one legal non-proper word that involves rearranging letters, but if you can't think of any after spending a minute or so, I'll let you stick with Berlin.
I am tentatively considering myself back.
Post Reply