Let's create a language!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 6:54 am If the language had case affixes (like the <-(o)r> I proposed earlier), then nouns might get marked with two case affixes (case in the relative clause, and case in the main clause), eg "I saw the cat that ate my food" has "cat" as the object of the main clause but the subject of the relative clause. I think this could be confusing, especially with a more complex case system.
I see your point. I agree with having cases, but I don't know how to get around this problem. Maybe making a new suffix with the same meaning for a new case? That sounds too hard though. What do you propose?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Moosey wrote: November 5th, 2020, 9:39 am
BokaBB wrote: November 5th, 2020, 8:20 am My ones fit well.
that sounds highly biased
BokaBB wrote: November 5th, 2020, 8:20 am Please repost the spreadsheet,I want it to be closer.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1126530732
Just making spreadsheet closer.
We need to call something with bad taste noke.
Also,
Si - interesting,nice
I am on the spreadsheet, please visit me.
Who is Davis?
Does we have this and that?If not,then ent and abent.
Also,comparation:
Ngong rigen. - I shine.
Shyu rigenel. You are shiner.
Pvia rigenor. - He /she /it is the most shining.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm We need to call something with bad taste noke.
Agreed.
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Who is Davis?
Saka
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Does we have this and that?If not,then ent and abent.
You already posted <le> "this" and <able> "that". However, we could use the new set for determiners ("that book") and the old set for pronouns ("I like that").
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Also,comparation:
Ngong rigen. - I shine.
Shyu rigenel. You are shiner.
Pvia rigenor. - He /she /it is the most shining.
If we implement my verb reform and vowel harmony, then the imperfective comparative participle would end in <-elel>/<-ilil>, which seems awkward. I can change the imperfective participle ending though. Other than that, this seems fine, but we still need mechanisms for "They are as tall as me" and "You're less tall than/not as tall as me".
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

I've added a new subsheet with roots revised to fit my proposed phonology and phonotactics. There are apparently many more duplicates than I previously thought, many of which were duplicates even before the revision. There are also columns containing a variant of my system that closes most non-word-final syllables, which were generated by a buggy version of my program. I don't think using that system is a good idea, but I've left it on the sheet because it might be interesting.
User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 4315
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Moosey »

PACIFIKEO

oh also I abstain from making words until we discuss phonotactics
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

I have already made multiple posts about that. If they continue to be ignored, I will assume that everyone agrees with my changes and apply them to the sheet. You have been warned.
User avatar
Moosey
Posts: 4315
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Moosey »

fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm I have already made multiple posts about that. If they continue to be ignored, I will assume that everyone agrees with my changes and apply them to the sheet. You have been warned.
I'm good with your changes. Anyone disagree?
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 3:22 pm
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm We need to call something with bad taste noke.
Agreed.
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Who is Davis?
Saka
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Does we have this and that?If not,then ent and abent.
You already posted <le> "this" and <able> "that". However, we could use the new set for determiners ("that book") and the old set for pronouns ("I like that").
BokaBB wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm Also,comparation:
Ngong rigen. - I shine.
Shyu rigenel. You are shiner.
Pvia rigenor. - He /she /it is the most shining.
If we implement my verb reform and vowel harmony, then the imperfective comparative participle would end in <-elel>/<-ilil>, which seems awkward. I can change the imperfective participle ending though. Other than that, this seems fine, but we still need mechanisms for "They are as tall as me" and "You're less tall than/not as tall as me".
Change it then.
I never agreed on your things,you know.
As the very beginning of the talks I ask you to change all the endings that I already made to my ones. My version will still be official unless I say so,these are just talks about the compromise.
Pes ret - here
Pes abret - there
Sol - big
Neg - small
Lak - equal
I want the language to be easy and will fight for that.
The sound of ch is Serbian Ч(I am from Serbia).
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Moosey wrote: November 6th, 2020, 9:25 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm I have already made multiple posts about that. If they continue to be ignored, I will assume that everyone agrees with my changes and apply them to the sheet. You have been warned.
I'm good with your changes. Anyone disagree?
I agree with fluffykitty's phonology (I'm only looking at the opinions page, is there anywhere else I should look at?), except for c. I think it should be /t̠ʃ/, but if no one likes that, then we can do /c/. I really don't want /ts/. I'd also like i to be /i/ always, but I don't want my opinion on i to slow things down. Allophones are completely fine by me too.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:32 am
Moosey wrote: November 6th, 2020, 9:25 pm
fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 6:32 pm I have already made multiple posts about that. If they continue to be ignored, I will assume that everyone agrees with my changes and apply them to the sheet. You have been warned.
I'm good with your changes. Anyone disagree?
I agree with fluffykitty's phonology (I'm only looking at the opinions page, is there anywhere else I should look at?), except for c. I think it should be /t̠ʃ/, but if no one likes that, then we can do /c/. I really don't want /ts/. I'd also like i to be /i/ always, but I don't want my opinion on i to slow things down. Allophones are completely fine by me too.
I really want /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:36 am I really want /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
You had said you wanted c to be /c/ or /ts/. Can we please have it be /c/?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 3:22 pm ...
If we implement my verb reform and vowel harmony, then the imperfective comparative participle would end in <-elel>/<-ilil>, which seems awkward. I can change the imperfective participle ending though. Other than that, this seems fine, but we still need mechanisms for "They are as tall as me" and "You're less tall than/not as tall as me".
Change it then.
Done.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am I never agreed on your things,you know.
As the very beginning of the talks I ask you to change all the endings that I already made to my ones. My version will still be official unless I say so,these are just talks about the compromise.
We can overrule you. Also, I kept the <-eo> and <-en> endings, and the <-ao> ending is incompatible with the idea of my verb system (the final suffix should not indicate tense).
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am Pes ret - here
Pes abret - there
Sol - big
Neg - small
Lak - equal
Added, although I'm not sure how you would translate something like "We're stronger than you" using those words.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am I want the language to be easy and will fight for that.
I think my verb system is fairly easy.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am The sound of ch is Serbian Ч(I am from Serbia).
/ʈʂ/ according to Wikipedia. Comparison with the pages for /ts/, /tʃ/, and /c/ indicates that those sounds are much more common across languages than /ʈʂ/. Also, <ch> is generally agreed to be /x/, if anything. Did you mean <c>?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:32 am (I'm only looking at the opinions page, is there anywhere else I should look at?)
I've made a couple of posts about it here, but the only phonological information I can think of that's in those but not the "mess around here" sheet is the vowel harmony system, which I'm pretty sure you already know about.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:32 am I think it should be /t̠ʃ/, but if no one likes that, then we can do /c/.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:42 am
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:36 am I really want /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
You had said you wanted c to be /c/ or /ts/. Can we please have it be /c/?
I would prefer /ts/, but /tʃ/ and /c/ are also fine.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:08 am I would prefer /ts/, but /tʃ/ and /c/ are also fine.
Can I ask if there are any languages where c is /ts/?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:16 am Can I ask if there are any languages where c is /ts/?
Many old Romance languages, when used before "i" or "e".
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:25 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:16 am Can I ask if there are any languages where c is /ts/?
Many old Romance languages, when used before "i" or "e".
If we want ch to be /x/, will we have /t̠ʃ/?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

fluffykitty wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:08 am
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 6th, 2020, 3:22 pm ...
If we implement my verb reform and vowel harmony, then the imperfective comparative participle would end in <-elel>/<-ilil>, which seems awkward. I can change the imperfective participle ending though. Other than that, this seems fine, but we still need mechanisms for "They are as tall as me" and "You're less tall than/not as tall as me".
Change it then.
Done.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am I never agreed on your things,you know.
As the very beginning of the talks I ask you to change all the endings that I already made to my ones. My version will still be official unless I say so,these are just talks about the compromise.
We can overrule you. Also, I kept the <-eo> and <-en> endings, and the <-ao> ending is incompatible with the idea of my verb system (the final suffix should not indicate tense).
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am Pes ret - here
Pes abret - there
Sol - big
Neg - small
Lak - equal
Added, although I'm not sure how you would translate something like "We're stronger than you" using those words.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am I want the language to be easy and will fight for that.
I think my verb system is fairly easy.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:19 am The sound of ch is Serbian Ч(I am from Serbia).
/ʈʂ/ according to Wikipedia. Comparison with the pages for /ts/, /tʃ/, and /c/ indicates that those sounds are much more common across languages than /ʈʂ/. Also, <ch> is generally agreed to be /x/, if anything. Did you mean <c>?
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:32 am (I'm only looking at the opinions page, is there anywhere else I should look at?)
I've made a couple of posts about it here, but the only phonological information I can think of that's in those but not the "mess around here" sheet is the vowel harmony system, which I'm pretty sure you already know about.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:32 am I think it should be /t̠ʃ/, but if no one likes that, then we can do /c/.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:42 am
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:36 am I really want /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
You had said you wanted c to be /c/ or /ts/. Can we please have it be /c/?
I would prefer /ts/, but /tʃ/ and /c/ are also fine.
Overrule?We should make compromise where everyone agrees and is happy. Peace,please!
I also prefer /ts/.
Sala aken begenel shyu.
Begeo -to be strong
Beg - strength
Bege - muscles
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm Overrule?We should make compromise where everyone agrees and is happy. Peace,please!
I also prefer /ts/.
Sala aken begenel shyu.
Begeo -to be strong
Beg - strength
Bege - muscles
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think bege should be muscles because -e mean a tool, but muscles aren't tools. Also, don't we have a word for "to be"? I can't look it up in the spreadsheet because there are too many words with "be" and it turns up 31 results.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:12 pm
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm Overrule?We should make compromise where everyone agrees and is happy. Peace,please!
I also prefer /ts/.
Sala aken begenel shyu.
Begeo -to be strong
Beg - strength
Bege - muscles
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think bege should be muscles because -e mean a tool, but muscles aren't tools. Also, don't we have a word for "to be"? I can't look it up in the spreadsheet because there are too many words with "be" and it turns up 31 results.
Akeo - to be
-e can mean anything used for something,not just tools.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm Akeo - to be
-e can mean anything used for something,not just tools.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Then I don't think begeo should be to be strong. Just use akeo. If we don't have a word for to open, then it will be turadeo, and key will be turade.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm Akeo - to be
-e can mean anything used for something,not just tools.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Then I don't think begeo should be to be strong. Just use akeo. If we don't have a word for to open, then it will be turadeo, and key will be turade.
Your words are longer and inconsistent with my ones. Shorter,please!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:46 pm Your words are longer and inconsistent with my ones. Shorter,please!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
This word is barely long at all. All languages have multi-syllable words. My words are normal.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

Added words posted in this thread, and the backformation <turad> "lock".
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm Then I don't think begeo should be to be strong. Just use akeo.
Many languages use constructions like that for sentences like "You are green".
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm This word is barely long at all. All languages have multi-syllable words. My words are normal.
Agreed. We should have more non-<CVCeo> verbs.
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:16 am
fluffykitty wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:08 am I would prefer /ts/, but /tʃ/ and /c/ are also fine.
Can I ask if there are any languages where c is /ts/?
Serbian.
fluffykitty, just muscle,you were dubious about that in the sheet. Also,lizni is dangerous instead of danger.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

A bunch of words that should make rare combinations and sounds not that rare.
Haceo - to lie
Hac - lie
Stal - mountain
Gestal - hill
Pvang - sand
Pvangap - desert
-ap - an area with some characteristic
Ap - area
(I feel like pv must have sound other than /pv/,I am open for change there)
Tilt - truth
Tilteo - to speak truth
Tarve - metal
Tarveo - to melt,to work with metal
Poh - jump
Poheo - to jump
Pohe - pogo
Krameo - to break
Krame - glass
Grel - pot, glass (as a glass of water)
Shyan - whistle,rustle
Shyaneo - to wristle,to rustle
This is not a protest,just an attempt to normalize alone combinations in the language. No more are allowed to be created.
fluffykitty, please don't speak like ,,We can overrule you.".I
don't like that.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm A bunch of words that should make rare combinations and sounds not that rare.
I don't think it's a good idea to introduce more unusual clusters.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm Gestal - hill
I don't think it's a good idea to use the same prefix for "negation of" and "weaker version of". I propose <be-> for "weaker version of".
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm (I feel like pv must have sound other than /pv/,I am open for change there)
My translation script converts that to /p/, but /pw/ would also be compatible with my phonotactics.
BokaBB wrote: November 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm fluffykitty, please don't speak like ,,We can overrule you.".I
don't like that.
You can't always get what you want.
Post Reply