Let's create a language!

A forum for topics that don't fit elsewhere. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. Forum rules still apply.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Hunting wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:22 pm Again, did we settle on sounds?
I think the only letters whose sounds we haven't settled on are a, c, e, and i. I am going to give you my proposals for these sounds now:
a = /ɐ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
e = /ɛ/
i = /i/
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:18 am
Hunting wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:22 pm Again, did we settle on sounds?
I think the only letters whose sounds we haven't settled on are a, c, e, and i. I am going to give you my proposals for these sounds now:
a = /ɐ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
e = /ɛ/
i = /i/
C is /ts/ or /c/. I don't wish your sound to be here,except possibly as a digraph.
Can a and e be /a/ and /e/ in some cases and those other in other cases?
Have a good day!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:44 am C is /ts/ or /c/. I don't wish your sound to be here,except possibly as a digraph.
Can a and e be /a/ and /e/ in some cases and those other in other cases?
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Let's ask Hunting too and then we'll compare our proposals and hopefully come to an agreement.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Hunting
Posts: 4401
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 2:54 am

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Hunting »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:48 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:44 am C is /ts/ or /c/. I don't wish your sound to be here,except possibly as a digraph.
Can a and e be /a/ and /e/ in some cases and those other in other cases?
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Let's ask Hunting too and then we'll compare our proposals and hopefully come to an agreement.
I agree with all of your proposal except i - I want to extend my "non-natural sound" argument to here, that is, i -> /I/ (short i sound not L) and ii -> /i/.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

Hunting wrote: November 1st, 2020, 5:29 am I agree with all of your proposal except i - I want to extend my "non-natural sound" argument to here, that is, i -> /I/ (short i sound not L) and ii -> /i/.
Ok I can accept that I guess. Should we ask Moosey and Saka?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Hunting is a weird man.However,I am even weirder.
We made agreements about everything except c. Either /c/ or /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:22 am Hunting is a weird man.However,I am even weirder.
We made agreements about everything except c. Either /c/ or /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think we agreed on any of the letters I proposed sounds for. If we don't accept that we haven't agreed yet, we will go nowhere. For pages we have been arguing messily. We have to have some structure.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:27 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:22 am Hunting is a weird man.However,I am even weirder.
We made agreements about everything except c. Either /c/ or /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think we agreed on any of the letters I proposed sounds for. If we don't accept that we haven't agreed yet, we will go nowhere. For pages we have been arguing messily. We have to have some structure.
I can't forget that we made agreements with a and e.
Please check and test my card game count bridge,posted on the thread Board And Card Games.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:10 am I can't forget that we made agreements with a and e.
Please check and test my card game count bridge,posted on the thread Board And Card Games.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Could you please show the posts where we agree? I don't remember anything like that. I remember agreeing with Hunting but I don't remember you agreeing. I saw the Board and Card Games thread already, I will read the rules or your game. I really like board and card games, so I will probably be posting there.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:29 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:10 am I can't forget that we made agreements with a and e.
Please check and test my card game count bridge,posted on the thread Board And Card Games.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Could you please show the posts where we agree? I don't remember anything like that. I remember agreeing with Hunting but I don't remember you agreeing. I saw the Board and Card Games thread already, I will read the rules or your game. I really like board and card games, so I will probably be posting there.
I can't now,but they were relatively recently. I think we said that e is other e and ee /e/or maybe reverse,not sure. We also agreed on the a sound with something about diphtongs and plosives.
Both were relatively recently, I don't think you will have any problems finding them.
Thanks for supporting my card game count bridge!If you can,please play a round with someone.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:53 am I can't now,but they were relatively recently. I think we said that e is other e and ee /e/or maybe reverse,not sure. We also agreed on the a sound with something about diphtongs and plosives.
Both were relatively recently, I don't think you will have any problems finding them.
Thanks for supporting my card game count bridge!If you can,please play a round with someone.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I remember that I had suggested /ɐ/ before plosives, and /a/ everywhere else, but I also remember that Hunting said that they wanted one sound per letter.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:53 am I can't now,but they were relatively recently. I think we said that e is other e and ee /e/or maybe reverse,not sure. We also agreed on the a sound with something about diphtongs and plosives.
Both were relatively recently, I don't think you will have any problems finding them.
Thanks for supporting my card game count bridge!If you can,please play a round with someone.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I remember that I had suggested /ɐ/ before plosives, and /a/ everywhere else, but I also remember that Hunting said that they wanted one sound per letter.
Everyone has impossible wishes.
Please visit The Wall Challenge.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:13 am Everyone has impossible wishes.
Please visit The Wall Challenge.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
If you're going to say something, please say something relevant/important.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
fluffykitty
Posts: 1178
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by fluffykitty »

I support using single <aei> for /ɐɛɪ/ and doublings for /aei/. Also, some of the diphthongs (particularly the ones contrasting /o/ and /u/) seem like they would be difficult to distinguish.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:27 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:22 am Hunting is a weird man.However,I am even weirder.
We made agreements about everything except c. Either /c/ or /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think we agreed on any of the letters I proposed sounds for. If we don't accept that we haven't agreed yet, we will go nowhere. For pages we have been arguing messily. We have to have some structure.
It might be helpful to track people's opinions about the phonology and orthography on the sheet, so that we don't have to repeatedly reiterate opinions on the thread.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:53 am ...
I remember that I had suggested /ɐ/ before plosives, and /a/ everywhere else, but I also remember that Hunting said that they wanted one sound per letter.
I don't think there's a problem with an inexact correspondence between letters and sounds, as long as any such variations are perfectly predictable.
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

fluffykitty wrote: November 1st, 2020, 5:44 pm I support using single <aei> for /ɐɛɪ/ and doublings for /aei/. Also, some of the diphthongs (particularly the ones contrasting /o/ and /u/) seem like
I guess I can accept that, but what sounds will be double letters and what sounds will be single we we haven't yet agreed upon. I agree with your sounds, the former group certainly sound shorter and the latter sound longer.
It might be helpful to track people's opinions about the phonology and orthography on the sheet, so that we don't have to repeatedly reiterate opinions on the thread.
That's actually a really good idea. I really don't know why we didn't think of that before. Thank you!
I don't think there's a problem with an inexact correspondence between letters and sounds, as long as any such variations are perfectly predictable.
I have mixed feelings on that one. We said we wanted it to be simple, but we can't agree on sounds, so we might have to do that.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

fluffykitty wrote: November 1st, 2020, 5:44 pm I support using single <aei> for /ɐɛɪ/ and doublings for /aei/. Also, some of the diphthongs (particularly the ones contrasting /o/ and /u/) seem like they would be difficult to distinguish.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:27 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:22 am Hunting is a weird man.However,I am even weirder.
We made agreements about everything except c. Either /c/ or /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I don't think we agreed on any of the letters I proposed sounds for. If we don't accept that we haven't agreed yet, we will go nowhere. For pages we have been arguing messily. We have to have some structure.
It might be helpful to track people's opinions about the phonology and orthography on the sheet, so that we don't have to repeatedly reiterate opinions on the thread.
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
BokaBB wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:53 am ...
I remember that I had suggested /ɐ/ before plosives, and /a/ everywhere else, but I also remember that Hunting said that they wanted one sound per letter.
I don't think there's a problem with an inexact correspondence between letters and sounds, as long as any such variations are perfectly predictable.
Welcome here!
Hmmmm,aeiaei looks a bit too long if you think about that. Correct me if you think about some other kind of thing.
I also don't have much against inexact correspondence,as far as there aren't too much of them.
We aren't currently creating words,but I ask you to create a few (as few as 3 is enough) to integrate
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:32 am Welcome here!
Hmmmm,aeiaei looks a bit too long if you think about that. Correct me if you think about some other kind of thing.
I also don't have much against inexact correspondence,as far as there aren't too much of them.
We aren't currently creating words,but I ask you to create a few (as few as 3 is enough) to integrate
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
That's just a list of letters. They aren't supposed to be together. I put our opinions in the spreadsheet, you can look at it to see if they're correct.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:33 am
BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:32 am Welcome here!
Hmmmm,aeiaei looks a bit too long if you think about that. Correct me if you think about some other kind of thing.
I also don't have much against inexact correspondence,as far as there aren't too much of them.
We aren't currently creating words,but I ask you to create a few (as few as 3 is enough) to integrate
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
That's just a list of letters. They aren't supposed to be together. I put our opinions in the spreadsheet, you can look at it to see if they're correct.
Okay. Schaparelio,you agreed about i being /i/.
I can accept other sounds. I ask about an agreement where single e is /e/ and ae other e. I also ask fluffykitty about its thought on our a letter compromise.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:39 am Okay. Schaparelio,you agreed about i being /i/.
I can accept other sounds. I ask about an agreement where single e is /e/ and ae other e. I also ask fluffykitty about its thought on our a letter compromise.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I accept that, though don't change the opinion page please.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:41 am
BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:39 am Okay. Schaparelio,you agreed about i being /i/.
I can accept other sounds. I ask about an agreement where single e is /e/ and ae other e. I also ask fluffykitty about its thought on our a letter compromise.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I accept that, though don't change the opinion page please.
What do you mean under changing the opinion page?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am What do you mean under changing the opinion page?
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I added a part on our opinions in the spreadsheet to make it tidier. Please look if I've written your opinion correctly.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 29th, 2020, 3:03 pm
BokaBB wrote: October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm We made some agreement and it will be as in it.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I'm glad you agree. You can look at the current state of the spreadsheet if you want, though please don't change anything already there. You may add stuff though.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1126530732
MODERATORS,THE SPREADSHEET IS BEING RAIDED,URGENTLY ACT!!!!!!!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:30 am MODERATORS,THE SPREADSHEET IS BEING RAIDED,URGENTLY ACT!!!!!!!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
No it isn't. Sorry I used that word kind of compulsively.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
BokaBB
Posts: 2981
Joined: December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:30 am
Schiaparelliorbust wrote: October 29th, 2020, 3:03 pm
BokaBB wrote: October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm We made some agreement and it will be as in it.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I'm glad you agree. You can look at the current state of the spreadsheet if you want, though please don't change anything already there. You may add stuff though.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1126530732
MODERATORS,THE SPREADSHEET IS BEING RAIDED,URGENTLY ACT!!!!!!!
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
Moderators,it may be Schaparelio's joke,I don't know.
You said you are Moosey in Word Chains.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
777
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!


Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Schiaparelliorbust
Posts: 3686
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
Location: Acidalia Planitia

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Schiaparelliorbust »

BokaBB wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:36 am Moderators,it may be Schaparelio's joke,I don't know.
You said you are Moosey in Word Chains.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
No I didn't mean I was Moosey I meant Moosey was there.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Post Reply