Yes, definitely, but the RLE won't reflect these changes. Of course it doesn't really matter generally if it's a LifeViewer script, but I'm not dvgrn.Layz Boi wrote: September 30th, 2020, 12:54 amCan't you just set a time to paste in the ship?bubblegum wrote: September 25th, 2020, 1:59 pm The problem I ran into was that when I wanted spaceships to make cameo appearances in the correct decade of the timeline, I had to reserve a lot of empty lanes stretching all the way back to T=0
Also, I'm not dvgrn.
oh dearLayz Boi wrote:Yikes! What are these algorithms behind those programs? I don't particularly care for glider synthesis, but exponential time seems kind of ridiculous to my intuition for CGOL, something so... deterministic.dvgrn wrote: September 29th, 2020, 10:12 pm ...
Sir Robin is 282 bits. The top of our current game for glider synthesis is something like 70P2H1V0.1. We have a hard time even getting started on anything bigger than 70 bits, partly because the search programs we use to find workable predecessors tend to get exponentially slower with linear increases in the number of bits being searched.
...
Possibly, if nobody objects to it, I think maybe they could be slotted in with the respective eras of the patterns they discover.Layz Boi wrote: Also, would the advancement of software used to look for patterns be worth a mention on the timeline? I know that GoldenRatio mentioned soup searching programs, but what about others that find ships, oscillators, synthesis etc?
Thirded.Layz Boi wrote:I second this.dvgrn wrote: September 29th, 2020, 10:12 pm ...
However, the omniperiodicity problem is one of the oldest remaining unsolved Holy Grails of the Game of Life, so even if we just get p19+ oscillators out of a signal wire, that will generate plenty of excitement all by itself.
...
Of course, there are the Freywa-y types of people but I'm hoping the Lifenthusiasts (how many e's are in this word) that will get excited about a p19+ signal wire loop outnumber the ones that won't.