Search found 21 matches

by litwr
November 12th, 2016, 9:48 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: which 64-bit Linux is best for Golly?
Replies: 11
Views: 8224

Re: which 64-bit Linux is best for Golly?

I am using 64-bit Golly 2.7 with Debian 8 about a year. It works fine. I used 64-bit Golly 2.5 too.
by litwr
June 24th, 2016, 2:52 pm
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: Fast chaotic life
Replies: 0
Views: 2266

Fast chaotic life

Golly is a bit slow here. Xlife is a bit faster. However the next example shows much faster speed.
http://vasimple.github.io/brians-brain/WebGL
It gives 250 generations per second for 4096x4096 torus topology for Brian's Brain! Golly gives 1-3 gps, Xlife 9-12. So the GL programming may ...
by litwr
March 5th, 2016, 3:46 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: Brian's brain for www
Replies: 0
Views: 3294

Brian's brain for www

http://vasimple.github.io/brians-brain/
This is a student work. Any feedback is welcome.
by litwr
September 2nd, 2014, 4:46 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Xlife news
Replies: 0
Views: 3103

Xlife news

Xlife supports the hashlife algorithm - http://youtu.be/IunDIzS012c
It is the prereleased version - it is only available from the SVN-repository.
All links - http://freecode.com/projects/xlife

Subset of Xlife is also ported to the 8-bit world of retrocomputers. :)
The speed of these computers is ...
by litwr
June 12th, 2013, 2:52 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Xlife 6.7 is just released -- http://freecode.com/projects/xlife.
by litwr
October 7th, 2012, 1:18 am
Forum: Website Discussion
Topic: xlife wikipage
Replies: 0
Views: 4596

xlife wikipage

I've just updated Xlife page at LifeWiki. Please help to check and improve it. :wink: I've also created the page for Eric S. Raymond.
by litwr
July 7th, 2012, 2:49 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: r-format vs table-format
Replies: 6
Views: 5499

Re: r-format vs table-format

Thank you very much for the link. I've just added a comment to UnboundVariables topic. BTW I have question about ruletree rules format. Is it precompiled, unreadable form of table-format? It looks so. Why does Golly ask to select between ruletree and table formats? IMHO it would be convinient to ...
by litwr
July 3rd, 2012, 7:46 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: r-format vs table-format
Replies: 6
Views: 5499

Re: r-format vs table-format

I've tested make-ruletable.cpp---it is a very useful program. However I'm curious. Where rules in the format like
1,[0,2],0 -> 3
are used? It maybe useful to support them by Golly. IMHO the support of "the unbound sign" (e.g., *) for the variables may be a bit better.
BTW ESR may continue the ...
by litwr
June 30th, 2012, 1:31 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: r-format vs table-format
Replies: 6
Views: 5499

Re: r-format vs table-format

I have an idea how to optimize the table-format. IMHO The best way is to use a special symbol (like $) to force equality of states in a rule. So the next text
var a={1,2}
var b={1,2}
1,a,b,2,a,4

maybe replaced by
var a={1,2}
1,$a,a,2,$a,4

To preserve existing table-files we had to use the special ...
by litwr
June 29th, 2012, 2:13 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: r-format vs table-format
Replies: 6
Views: 5499

Re: r-format vs table-format

Thank you very much for the answer. :-)
I agree with your arguments. However there is other side.

1[12][12][12][12]2



var a={1,2}
var b={1,2}
var c={1,2}
var d={1,2}
1,a,b,c,d,2


Xlife v5.0.8 was with Debian until version 6 where it was replaced by Golly. I plan to reinclude updated xlife ...
by litwr
June 26th, 2012, 3:24 am
Forum: Website Discussion
Topic: is there a way to use tables with BBcodes?
Replies: 1
Views: 5235

is there a way to use tables with BBcodes?

I used CODE section for this but it looks a bit wrong. :-( Is there something like table-tag of html?
by litwr
June 26th, 2012, 3:18 am
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: r-format vs table-format
Replies: 6
Views: 5499

r-format vs table-format

Google wiki page ( http://code.google.com/p/ruletablerepository/wiki/TheFormat ) about n-state rules in xlife r-formats has a cite "The problem is that it doesn't provide enough compression." It asserts that table-format has better compression. I've just performed appropriate measurements. I use ...
by litwr
June 26th, 2012, 2:25 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Version 6.5 is released. It supports up to 256 states now. So it is possible to use such a beauty as the snowflakes world by /1/256 rules--it is very impressive with bounded grid--try
/1/256:T1000x800 with one alive cell. Golly is a bit slow for this task. ;-) BTW surprizingly Xlife shows the ...
by litwr
October 19th, 2011, 7:57 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Thank you very much! :-) IMHO this timing script should be published.
by litwr
October 19th, 2011, 1:22 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

I've just performed several experiments. It is surprize that Jon Bennet 1989 code only slightly modified shows the best speed for the exploding and chaotic patterns. All tests use only two adjacent cells (brick) at state 1. XLife shows the speed of the evolution about 100% and 50% faster than Golly ...
by litwr
October 14th, 2011, 8:16 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Thank you! :-) I'm a bit obsessed by Xlife so several interesting features of Golly missed me. I'm curious. May Golly use pseudocolor modes? I've made a demo page (http://litwr2.atspace.eu/demo/demo.html or http://94.143.43.217/LW/demo/demo.html) for Xlife. May Golly cover all listed features ...
by litwr
October 12th, 2011, 1:13 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Version 6.4 of XLife is released. It is still with Spartan style Xlib interface and doesn't support hashlife. However it begins to support torus and plain topology, the history for any 2-state automata, pseudocolor modes, ...

The history mode maybe toggled by @ keypress. Will Golly team add this ...
by litwr
July 7th, 2011, 9:09 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

Version 6.2 of XLife is released... It is slightly accelerated so it can handle the big patterns now, e.g., `golly-constructor' (Codd rules), Universal Turing Machine, or even `caterpillar'. Lifesrc is removed. Added support for the format signature line (##XLife) in the output files.

Xlife is ...
by litwr
June 15th, 2011, 12:28 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

Re: XLife updated

I've added some new features so XLife 6.1 is released.

I consider my work as digital restoration. It keeps spirit of original code, fixes a lot of bugs, added several improvements (commands, new types of automata, formats, etc).

The novice users may find this program a bit unfriendly but little ...
by litwr
June 9th, 2011, 3:04 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: XLife updated
Replies: 10
Views: 8587

XLife updated

Version 6.0 of old XLife is released... It is based on 5.0.8 Debian Linux version and lesser on 5.3 OpenBSD version. It doesn't support all features of v5.3 (see MISSED). However it runs at modern systems (several Linux 32/64-bits distributions were tested) and provides a lot of features (see ...