@Jsboige...
That's quite the speech. Personally, I agree that the tools for working with Life are rather less intuitive than they could be. However, a key point to remember is that they are designed for speed as well as simplicity. A 3D Life editor would be great in some ways, but it would perform ...
Search found 15 matches
- November 9th, 2010, 11:08 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
- Replies: 70
- Views: 483603
- July 23rd, 2010, 7:43 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Repeated pattern pasting
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8395
Repeated pattern pasting
I was recently fiddling around in Golly, and I decided to take a pattern, run it, wait for it to settle down, and then paste the original pattern over the final result. After several minutes of doing this, I noticed some very interesting patterns forming, including some pentadecathlons. I also ...
- July 8th, 2010, 8:12 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Gun Converter
- Replies: 11
- Views: 8166
Re: Gun Converter
That's an interesting little reaction you've discovered.
- July 8th, 2010, 5:57 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider synthesis discussion
- Replies: 36
- Views: 33651
Re: Glider synthesis discussion
Does anyone know of a glider synthesis for eater 3 (or any variants)?
- June 8th, 2010, 2:57 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
- Replies: 2367
- Views: 1709759
Re: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
I'll agree with that, it is strangely enjoyable to flip the fleet back and forth... back and forth... back... and forth...
- May 24th, 2010, 2:49 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
- Replies: 70
- Views: 118086
Re: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
It's a shame that your device only has finite memory. Since you like p30-oriented technology so much, I recommend that you have a look at Paul Callahan's extensible delay-line memory:
x = 400, y = 131, rule = S23/B3
129bo$127boo$128boo14$379b4o$378bo3bo12bobbo$382bo16bo$378bobbo13bo3bo
$396b4o ...
- May 22nd, 2010, 3:03 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: The "Gray Cells" in LifeHistory Rule
- Replies: 192
- Views: 79935
Re: The "Gray Cells" in LifeHistory Rule
Here... have some impossibly close blinkers:
x = 5, y = 5, rule = lifehistory
F3AF$A3.A$A.F.A$A3.A$F3AF!
You can also chain them together:
x = 29, y = 5, rule = lifehistory
F3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF$A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A$A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F
.A.F.A$A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A$F3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF ...
x = 5, y = 5, rule = lifehistory
F3AF$A3.A$A.F.A$A3.A$F3AF!
You can also chain them together:
x = 29, y = 5, rule = lifehistory
F3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF$A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A$A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F.A.F
.A.F.A$A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A3.A$F3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF3AF ...
- May 21st, 2010, 3:11 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
- Replies: 70
- Views: 483603
Re: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
Yes, I am aware of that, I just hadn't figured out how they worked or why they were significant - to me it just looked like a random pretty pattern.calcyman wrote:For your information, Evoloops are included with Golly.
- May 21st, 2010, 2:08 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
- Replies: 70
- Views: 483603
Re: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
The next step: a spaceship with three or more constructors for the program to pass through
That seems like a fairly pointless modification, unless you have four constructors in a rectangle.
Pointless for the purposes of a pure spaceship, but useful if a Gemini-type spaceship were to be used as ...
That seems like a fairly pointless modification, unless you have four constructors in a rectangle.
Pointless for the purposes of a pure spaceship, but useful if a Gemini-type spaceship were to be used as ...
- May 21st, 2010, 1:17 pm
- Forum: Scripts
- Topic: A good glider synthesis script?
- Replies: 1
- Views: 4098
A good glider synthesis script?
Hi everyone,
I haven't really experimented much with using scripts in Golly, and I was hoping to get into it a bit more. First off, I'm looking for a script to find glider syntheses for simple patterns. Can you offer any suggestions, and perhaps a basic explanation of how to use one of these ...
I haven't really experimented much with using scripts in Golly, and I was hoping to get into it a bit more. First off, I'm looking for a script to find glider syntheses for simple patterns. Can you offer any suggestions, and perhaps a basic explanation of how to use one of these ...
- May 21st, 2010, 8:42 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
- Replies: 70
- Views: 483603
Re: Universal Constructor Based Spaceship
This is the single most impressive pattern in Life that I have ever seen. Great job! The next step: a spaceship with three or more constructors for the program to pass through, and after that, a program capable of modifying its own speed/shape/direction.
Congratulations on this accomplishment, you ...
Congratulations on this accomplishment, you ...
- January 27th, 2010, 2:56 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Pulling blocks orthogonally
- Replies: 4
- Views: 5412
Re: Pulling blocks orthogonally
You could turn the block into a glider and back; e.g.
x = 78, y = 173, rule = B3/S23
30boo44boo$30boo44boo29$30boo44boo$30boo44boo29$30boo44boo$30boo44boo
7$36bo$24b3o8b3o$24bobbo6boobo$24bo9b3o$24bo3bo5b3o$24bo10boo$25bobo3$
39bo$38b3o$37boobo$37b3o$37b3o$37b3o$38boo14$24bo$23b3o$23boboo$24b3o ...
x = 78, y = 173, rule = B3/S23
30boo44boo$30boo44boo29$30boo44boo$30boo44boo29$30boo44boo$30boo44boo
7$36bo$24b3o8b3o$24bobbo6boobo$24bo9b3o$24bo3bo5b3o$24bo10boo$25bobo3$
39bo$38b3o$37boobo$37b3o$37b3o$37b3o$38boo14$24bo$23b3o$23boboo$24b3o ...
- January 26th, 2010, 12:50 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Pulling blocks orthogonally
- Replies: 4
- Views: 5412
Pulling blocks orthogonally
I'm trying to pull a block orthogonally with a spaceship moving the same direction, and not having much luck. The spaceship must survive the reaction unharmed. So far, my only solution has been to create an array of glider rakes, where the gliders pull the block diagonally twice, resulting in an ...
- January 24th, 2010, 3:36 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
- Replies: 2367
- Views: 1709759
Re: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
Fuse burns but then burns backwards:
x = 126, y = 126, rule = B3/S23
124b2o$125bo$124bo$123bo$122bo$121bo$120bo$119bo$118bo$117bo$116bo$
115bo$114bo$113bo$112bo$111bo$110bo$109bo$108bo$107bo$106bo$105bo$104b
o$103bo$102bo$101bo$100bo$99bo$98bo$97bo$96bo$95bo$94bo$93bo$92bo$91bo
$90bo$89bo$88bo ...
x = 126, y = 126, rule = B3/S23
124b2o$125bo$124bo$123bo$122bo$121bo$120bo$119bo$118bo$117bo$116bo$
115bo$114bo$113bo$112bo$111bo$110bo$109bo$108bo$107bo$106bo$105bo$104b
o$103bo$102bo$101bo$100bo$99bo$98bo$97bo$96bo$95bo$94bo$93bo$92bo$91bo
$90bo$89bo$88bo ...
- January 24th, 2010, 2:58 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: High period switch engine-based puffer
- Replies: 1
- Views: 3027
High period switch engine-based puffer
I was randomly fiddling around with a cordership, and ended up doubling the front of one and removing the back. I put them too close together, but it somehow survived for quite a long time. In the process, I noticed an interesting tagalong that formed, launching gliders backwards at a period of 896 ...