Search found 36 matches

by Jason Summers
January 8th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Wickstretcher partial result
Replies: 1
Views: 3998

Wickstretcher partial result

I tried to complete a c/4 diagonal wickstretcher, and found what I thought was a breakthrough, but I just can't make it work. Can anyone help finish it?

x = 72, y = 81, rule = B3/S23
39bo$38boo$38bobo$$41boo$41boo$32b3o$32bo3booboo$35bob3obo$32bo3b3obbo
$27boo4bobo$26boo6bo29bo$28bo$30bo3boo ...
by Jason Summers
September 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: WinLifeSearch update
Replies: 2
Views: 4454

WinLifeSearch update

I've been working on cleaning up my old WinLifeSearch program a bit, and have made a new release of it, v0.70.

Main site
Development
It has a lot of minor fixes, but no major changes, and no changes to the search algorithms.

I haven't decided to what extent I'll keep working on this. I'm ...
by Jason Summers
September 8th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Spaceships that are built from common reactions
Replies: 3
Views: 5515

Re: Spaceships that are built from common reactions

I don't know about a database of reactions that could be combined. It sounds good at first, but without some new idea, there are just too few useful reactions available, and too many miracles that would have to occur.

I think that searching for a new or overlooked reaction is probably a better bet ...
by Jason Summers
August 20th, 2012, 8:47 am
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Statorless p3 oscillator
Replies: 4
Views: 6658

Re: Statorless p3 oscillator

Sokwe wrote:Are there any known p4 oscillators in which every cell oscillates at period-4?
No, the only such periods known to me are 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 13, 15, 30, 33, and 177.
by Jason Summers
August 19th, 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Statorless p3 oscillator
Replies: 4
Views: 6658

Statorless p3 oscillator

I found this p3 oscillator that has no stable cells. I think it's the first one known.

x = 31, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
9bobo5bo3bo5bobo$8bo3bo4bo3bo4bo3bo$9bo7bo3bo7bo$11b2ob2obo3bob2ob2o$
17bo3bo$10bo3bo9bo3bo$8bobo17bobo2$8bo19bo$7b2o18b2o$7bo19bo$5bo2bo16b
o2bo$o4bo14bo4bo$4ob2ob3o9b4ob2ob3o ...
by Jason Summers
June 7th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: script for puffer producing given output
Replies: 4
Views: 6080

Re: script for puffer producing given output

Does the puffer move left, or right?

I don't know of any scripts that would help, but it looks straightforward to construct. I'd use rakes plus these reactions, if possible ...
by Jason Summers
March 14th, 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Glider/**SS Reactions
Replies: 3
Views: 4955

Re: Glider/**SS Reactions

I just wondered whether I have inadvertently discovered any new mechanisms.
(a) p48 back rake, using a Schick engine
This is larger than known technology; see the c2-extended/c2-0048.lif file in my jslife collection .
But the glider release position (at the side) is good, and maybe it could be ...
by Jason Summers
February 28th, 2012, 11:26 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: The theory behind Primer?
Replies: 8
Views: 6995

Re: The theory behind Primer?

Some more details:

The prime number patterns all work by testing odd numbers for odd factors. None of them tests even numbers. Some small numbers, like 2, are handled as special cases (i.e., totally faked).

They work by constructing a row of oscillators (or oscillating components) of ever ...
by Jason Summers
February 1st, 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Switch engine puffer search script
Replies: 6
Views: 7155

Re: Switch engine puffer search script

To clarify, this is not a way to find completely new puffers. You have to start with a known puffer or near-puffer, and it will try to find different ways that its smoke can stabilize.
by Jason Summers
January 29th, 2012, 10:55 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Switch engine puffer search script
Replies: 6
Views: 7155

Re: Switch engine puffer search script

It's nice, but what might be more useful is a similar search for other rules. It is only feasible to find small puffers, and life has been well searched.
I've used random-perturbation scripts like this to find a number of new stable "orbits" into which a puffer's output can fall. The puffer doesn ...
by Jason Summers
January 29th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Switch engine puffer search script
Replies: 6
Views: 7155

Re: Switch engine puffer search script

Wojowu wrote:Is there a chance for Python version?
It ought to take about half an hour to translate the script to Python. Maybe someone will volunteer? I could probably do it, but I'm a lot more comfortable with Perl than Python.
by Jason Summers
January 29th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Switch engine puffer search script
Replies: 6
Views: 7155

Switch engine puffer search script

Here's a Golly script I wrote to search for new switch engine puffers; i.e., anything other than the p288 "block maker" or the p384 "glider producer".
seo-search.zip

This is a long shot at best -- I've mostly given up on it, but I think there's still a chance of success.

It requires Perl ...
by Jason Summers
October 30th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: Developing WLS
Replies: 4
Views: 5429

Re: Developing WLS

I think so, too... Does WLS uses the best algorithm, currently?
I'm not aware of any breakthroughs in this type of searching. Of course, there are many ways to optimize it. But fundamentally, it's all just brute force: try all possibilities, and eliminate the ones that lead to a contradiction.

If ...
by Jason Summers
July 25th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Oscillator glide symmetry classes
Replies: 1
Views: 2774

Re: Oscillator glide symmetry classes

Here is Hickerson's classification of the symmetries of finite oscillators, from his "stamp collection":


There are 43 types of symmetry that an oscillator can have, taking into
account both the symmetry of a single generation and the change of
orientation (if any) M generations later. There are ...
by Jason Summers
July 11th, 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: How to get two gliders in place for a gun
Replies: 4
Views: 3912

Re: How to get two gliders in place for a gun

This is a pathological case where most of the usual glider-insertion methods fail. But there are countless ways to collide gliders and spaceships to produce a glider. Some of them are bound to work, such as
x = 321, y = 146, rule = B3/S23
133bo$133bobo$133boo10$16boo$16bobo$16bo$3o$o116bo$bo115bobo ...
by Jason Summers
July 10th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: How to get two gliders in place for a gun
Replies: 4
Views: 3912

Re: How to get two gliders in place for a gun

There are many ways that a glider can suppress the switch engine smoke, but this might be the only one that lets your sideways glider slip past:
x = 211, y = 177, rule = B3/S23
172boo$171bobo$173bo6$179b3o$181bo$180bo6$140boo$139bobo$141bo5$109b3o
$110bo36b3o$110bobbo35bo$110bobbo34bo$111bobo4 ...
by Jason Summers
May 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum: Scripts
Topic: gencols
Replies: 0
Views: 4388

gencols

I put together a Windows build of Paul Callahan's "gencols" program. It can be downloaded at < http://entropymine.com/jason/life/gencols/gencols-js-1.00.zip >.

(Gencols is a search program that enumerates collisions between Life patterns, to find collisions that have certain properties.)

Be warned ...
by Jason Summers
May 22nd, 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Assisted Lightspeed Wicks
Replies: 5
Views: 5950

Re: Assisted Lightspeed Wicks

I'm not sure if I'm reading your mind correctly...
x = 58, y = 31, rule = B3/S23
13bo3bo20bo5bo6bobbo$bo3bo7booboo7boo3boo8bobo9booboo$booboo6bobobobo
6boo3boo8bobo7boobobbo$obobobo5bobobobo5bobbobobbo16bo3boboo$obobobo
17bobbobobbo6booboo5bobo3bobo$13bo3bo21booboo7bobbo$bo3bo7booboo7boo3b ...
by Jason Summers
April 23rd, 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Agar stabilization discussion
Replies: 4
Views: 5083

Re: Agar stabilization discussion

I've attached a zip file with several agars that look like they might be tamable.
Here's a new period 12 oscillator, made from one of the agars:
x = 35, y = 35, rule = B3/S23
10boo8boo$9bobbo7boo$4boo3boobobboo$4bobbobobbobobo$booboboobobbobo$bb
obobbob3obbobo8bo$bobboo3bo7bo6bobo ...
by Jason Summers
April 20th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Glider synthesis discussion
Replies: 36
Views: 33686

Re: Glider synthesis discussion

Here's a predecessor of the p32 oscillator that I recently found which looks like it would allow a glider synthesis
Here's a synthesis from 37 gliders.
x = 89, y = 109, rule = B3/S23
10bo67bo$bobo7boo63boo7bobo$bboo6boo65boo6boo$bbo83bo3$12bobo59bobo$
13boo59boo$13bo61bo5$67bo$65boo$66boo3$7bo ...
by Jason Summers
April 19th, 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Glider synthesis discussion
Replies: 36
Views: 33686

Re: Glider synthesis discussion

knightlife wrote:If there were a different way to "inject" a boat into its proper place with 3 gliders from only two directions instead of three then the glider count could be reduced by at least 2.
Here's one way:

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
7bo$7bobo$7boo3$5bo$bbobbobo$obobboo$boo!
by Jason Summers
March 28th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum: Other Cellular Automata
Topic: Ships with speed between c/2 and c
Replies: 114
Views: 43388

Re: Ships with speed between c/2 and c

I'll have to guess that the answer to both of your questions is no, unless you count this diagonal spaceship in a B0 rule:

Code: Select all

#C 3c/4 diagonal (David Eppstein, 2002)
x = 6, y = 3, rule = B02357/S2356
b2o$o2b3o$ob4o!
by Jason Summers
March 12th, 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Glider synthesis discussion
Replies: 36
Views: 33686

Re: Glider synthesis discussion

Here are some predecessors of some large oscillators that might be synthesizable (p9, p16, and p51):
The p51 can be done by brute force, if nothing else.
x = 77, y = 77, rule = B3/S23
69bo$69bobo$69boo3$bo$bbo$3o12bo27bo$16boo26bo$15boo25b3o17bobo$62boo$
63bo$9bo28bo$10boo27bo$9boo26b3o17bobo ...
by Jason Summers
March 9th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete
Replies: 189
Views: 396802

Re: Incomplete search patterns - try to complete

Can anyone find a custom p6 sparker to complete this p42 oscillator?

x = 44, y = 20, rule = B3/S23
9boo22boo$5boobbobo5boo6boo5bobobboo$4bobbobobo5boo6boo5bobobobbo$4bob
obboboo18boobobbobo$3booboobo8bo13bobb3oboo$6bobbooboo3bobo12boobobbo
bbo$3boboobboo5bo3bo10bo5bobboo$oboobobo6bobo3bo10b4obo5bo ...
by Jason Summers
March 9th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Some new spaceships.
Replies: 34
Views: 44556

Re: Some new spaceships.

With an alternate p2 part, one of the 3c/6 spaceships can delete blocks. It's pretty bulky, but I think that's a first.

x = 52, y = 78, rule = B3/S23
35b3o$31b5obbo$27booboobobo3bo$25boobo3bo6bo$oo19b5o4bo6bo$oo15booboob
obobo3bo6bobo$15boobo3bo3bo8booboboo$11b5o4bo14boobobobo$10boobobobo3b ...