Sorry, I worded that very badly. What I meant to say was that I think I may have found a pattern that cannot be destroyed by **two gliders**, but I failed to include the word "two" in my post.
Also, by "destroyed" I didn't mean that an individual glider collision has to leave the pattern unchanged ...
Search found 5 matches
- September 10th, 2026, 10:42 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread for your unsure discoveries
- Replies: 4031
- Views: 1914480
- September 10th, 2026, 5:06 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread for your unsure discoveries
- Replies: 4031
- Views: 1914480
Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries
I checked a bit more, and I think even a somewhat smaller version may still resist all the glider collisions I've tried. What do you think?
x = 28, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
13b2o$12bo2bo$12bo2bo$10b2ob2ob2o$9bo2bo2bo2bo$9bo2bo2bo2bo$7b2ob2ob2o
b2ob2o$6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo ...
x = 28, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
13b2o$12bo2bo$12bo2bo$10b2ob2ob2o$9bo2bo2bo2bo$9bo2bo2bo2bo$7b2ob2ob2o
b2ob2o$6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$6bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo ...
- September 10th, 2026, 2:33 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread for your unsure discoveries
- Replies: 4031
- Views: 1914480
Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries
I've tried quite a lot of different glider collisions against this pattern, and so far I haven't found one that destroys it. Does anyone see an obvious way to break it?
It's not exactly a small pattern, though.
x = 118, y = 118, rule = B3/S23
58b2o$57bo2bo$57bo2bo$55b2ob2ob2o$54bo2bo2bo2bo ...
It's not exactly a small pattern, though.
x = 118, y = 118, rule = B3/S23
58b2o$57bo2bo$57bo2bo$55b2ob2ob2o$54bo2bo2bo2bo ...
- September 9th, 2026, 8:51 am
- Forum: The Sandbox
- Topic: Glider Destruction Of Still Lives, Oscillators, Etc.
- Replies: 109
- Views: 28961
Re: Glider Destruction Of Still Lives, Oscillators, Etc.
I may have found a finite stable constellation that requires exactly three gliders for clean destruction. I haven't been able to find a previous construction of this kind, but I may have missed one.
The target consists of three widely separated blocks, with origins at
(0, 0)
(100000, 300000 ...
The target consists of three widely separated blocks, with origins at
(0, 0)
(100000, 300000 ...
- September 9th, 2026, 5:46 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread for your unsure discoveries
- Replies: 4031
- Views: 1914480
Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries
I think this still life cannot be destroyed with 2 gliders, but I am not quite sure.
x = 91, y = 91, rule = B3/S23
bo$obo$bobo$2bobo$3bobo$4bobo$5bobo$6bobo$7bobo$8bobo$9bobo$10bobo$11b
obo$12bobo$13bobo$14bobo$15bobo$16bobo$17bobo$18bobo$19bobo$20bobo$21b
obo$22bobo$23bobo$24bobo$25bobo$26bobo ...