CGOL is a general purpose computation platform, so in that sense it can be used to simulate anything, but it's phenomenally ill-suited to modeling things in the real world. In other words, the answer to your question, practically speaking, is no.
Generally speaking, real-world modeling is done by ...
Search found 7 matches
- April 27th, 2023, 7:24 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Kind of new to this. Wondering if Conway's game of Life can really be used for real life simulations
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3205
- June 7th, 2022, 1:14 pm
- Forum: Scripts
- Topic: Using AI for ship search
- Replies: 8
- Views: 4112
Re: Using AI for ship search
It seems to me that patterns that aren't assembled out of known components with predictable interactions are essentially random. That is, no one knows why, say, the Copperhead is a c/10 orthogonal spaceship, it just happens to be one, and knowing about it doesn't help you make other spaceships that ...
- April 23rd, 2022, 4:02 pm
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
- Replies: 1066
- Views: 577518
Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
LifeWiki account name Nickolas
- April 16th, 2022, 4:51 pm
- Forum: The Sandbox
- Topic: Life in Unusual Places
- Replies: 2
- Views: 352
Re: Life in Unusual Places
I've seen it as a custom playable level in Baba Is You, where you have five rocks and need to create a glider to cross lava or something similar to complete the level.
Very neat, I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0NR1kmMUo
Also a more efficient implementation: https://www.youtube ...
- April 16th, 2022, 4:21 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Conway's Game of Life Textbook Launch
- Replies: 22
- Views: 16168
Re: Conway's Game of Life Textbook Launch
I certainly don't begrudge you any of the choices that you made, and your reasons make sense even if I have different personal preferences. And as you say, the books function more than adequately for their primary purpose: to convey information. That being said, perhaps on future projects you could ...
- April 15th, 2022, 9:04 pm
- Forum: The Sandbox
- Topic: Life in Unusual Places
- Replies: 2
- Views: 352
Life in Unusual Places
I once made a Life simulator in StarCraft: Brood War. You can download the map here , or read a brief explanation of how it was implemented here . (Note that some 3rd-party editor shenanigans were used to achieve those minimap colors, and to allow multiple players to have the same minimap color ...
- April 15th, 2022, 8:25 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Conway's Game of Life Textbook Launch
- Replies: 22
- Views: 16168
Re: Conway's Game of Life Textbook Launch
Hello Nathaniel,
I ordered your book from Lulu, and enjoyed the read from start to finish. Stunning graphic design and diagrams, lucid prose, great pacing, thought provoking exercises, and thorough references, this is hands down one of the best textbooks on any subject I've ever seen. Bravo and ...
I ordered your book from Lulu, and enjoyed the read from start to finish. Stunning graphic design and diagrams, lucid prose, great pacing, thought provoking exercises, and thorough references, this is hands down one of the best textbooks on any subject I've ever seen. Bravo and ...