Excellent. Thanks for the coaching. I implemented the D4 center block symmetry reduction (code pushed to https://github.com/aharbick/conway/compare/strip_search)
I then ran it against the "centerIdx" that contains my known longest pattern(s)... Here's a snippet of the output
timestamp=1765833521 ...
Search found 11 matches
- December 15th, 2025, 8:03 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
- December 14th, 2025, 5:49 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
I think I got the "strip search" algorithm implemented, but in running it I don't think it's going to be as fast as my current approach.
But... I'm not entirely sure that I'm comparing apples to apples. We examine 2^32 middle blocks looking at all combinations of unique top and bottom strips. Each ...
But... I'm not entirely sure that I'm comparing apples to apples. We examine 2^32 middle blocks looking at all combinations of unique top and bottom strips. Each ...
- December 7th, 2025, 10:25 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
The 7x7 search ran to completion and the longest pattern was 223 (there were 392 different initial patterns that lasted that long). Here are a few:
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23:T7,7
2bob3o$3o$o2b2obo$2b3o$2o$o2bobo$bo2bobo!
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23:T7,7
2bob2o$2o2b2o$obo$2o3bo$2b2ob2o ...
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23:T7,7
2bob3o$3o$o2b2obo$2b3o$2o$o2bobo$bo2bobo!
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23:T7,7
2bob2o$2o2b2o$obo$2o3bo$2b2ob2o ...
- December 1st, 2025, 3:41 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
Thanks for the details! I'll see if I can improve performance with the ideas.
I got the 7x7 toroidal simulation working. It's not as efficient as the 8x8 version because it has to pack/unpack the 7x7 grid to by byte-aligned so that it works with the Rokicki algorithm.
Here's some sample output ...
I got the 7x7 toroidal simulation working. It's not as efficient as the 8x8 version because it has to pack/unpack the 7x7 grid to by byte-aligned so that it works with the Rokicki algorithm.
Here's some sample output ...
- November 30th, 2025, 4:44 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
Thanks for the ideas!
1. Yes the 56B soups/sec is with multiple (8) GPUs. See: https://github.com/aharbick/conway/blob/main/find-optimal/docs/PERFORMANCE.md
(I've been a little all over the place with testing performance because I've been trying on lots of different virtualized or physical ...
1. Yes the 56B soups/sec is with multiple (8) GPUs. See: https://github.com/aharbick/conway/blob/main/find-optimal/docs/PERFORMANCE.md
(I've been a little all over the place with testing performance because I've been trying on lots of different virtualized or physical ...
- November 29th, 2025, 1:06 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
After a couple years away I was able to return to this problem and have made a bunch of improvements in code quality, build tooling, tests, performance, and progress-tracking/restartability here https://github.com/aharbick/conway (see the find-optimal subdirectory)
I've got a long running ...
I've got a long running ...
- January 24th, 2022, 2:36 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
I got a lot of help from Adam Goucher to move the answer to this question forward. The current code (https://github.com/aharbick/conway/tree/main/find-optimal) running on an AWS g5.48xlarge could hypothetically explore all possible solutions in 10.5 years. I have additional suggestions from Adam to ...
- December 12th, 2021, 1:39 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
With the code that I've already done I've found a bunch of interesting patterns...
Can you share their RLE codes? ...
Here are some of the patterns with 100 or more generations that die out or end in a stable form...
111 generations
x = 8, y = 8, rule = B3/S23:P8,8
obbbbbbb$bbbbbbbb ...
- December 11th, 2021, 4:39 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
I'm not surprised that my particular problem hasn't gotten much/any attention. Frankly I'm amazed at how much thought an effort has gone into all of the myriad other things in this world :D
I really am interested in the P:8,8 driven mostly because of my art project, but also because it's just so ...
I really am interested in the P:8,8 driven mostly because of my art project, but also because it's just so ...
- December 11th, 2021, 3:07 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
Re: soup searching an 8x8 grid
There does seem to be this: https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/8x8
But it doesn't seem to be possible to show only bounded 8x8 grids. I'm not sure how to call what I'm trying to do, but Golly seems to call them "planes" http://golly.sourceforge.net/Help/bounded.html and in my case it would ...
But it doesn't seem to be possible to show only bounded 8x8 grids. I'm not sure how to call what I'm trying to do, but Golly seems to call them "planes" http://golly.sourceforge.net/Help/bounded.html and in my case it would ...
- December 11th, 2021, 1:07 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: soup searching an 8x8 grid
- Replies: 27
- Views: 10569
soup searching an 8x8 grid
tl;dr Is it tractable in terms of compute power and time to exhaustively search for the longest methusaleh/diehard on a finite 8x8 grid?
I have been a bit obsessed with GOL for the past year. Earlier this year I had the idea to build a physical GOL simulator art project with a 3d printer, arduino ...
I have been a bit obsessed with GOL for the past year. Earlier this year I had the idea to build a physical GOL simulator art project with a 3d printer, arduino ...