Search found 21 matches

by MadMan
July 12th, 2009, 11:29 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Pattern Frequency Software
Replies: 3
Views: 4560

Re: Pattern Frequency Software

Finding the P 3 Pulsar and claiming to have found a new oscillator is showing a naivette about Life. It's like finding a polyphemus moth and calling the museum to claim the discovery of a new species) It's that and the forum about "pattern frequency software" that prompts the following :

My Master ...
by MadMan
July 11th, 2009, 11:06 am
Forum: Patterns
Topic: Smallest oscillators?
Replies: 8
Views: 9876

Re: Smallest oscillators?

This is advise the users of this forum that I am frustrated by patterns presented in GOLLY or RLE as I can not decipher them. I am therefore seriously considering abandoning this forum ,even to just view it. There are other LIFE websites which present patterns in a visual way I can use. I also get ...
by MadMan
July 5th, 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: LifeLine Magazine?
Replies: 29
Views: 25204

Re: LifeLine Magazine?

I TRIED to revive Lifeline, and it lasted about 1 issue under my aegis. I was working with Bill Webb (if you remember him, please let me know !). After I released one issue and was preparing a 2nd, he wrote me and advised me that I was just wasting my time publishing to a very small reader base who ...
by MadMan
July 4th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Crazy Life-like Rules I Found
Replies: 8
Views: 7174

Re: Crazy Life-like Rules I Found

Just want to let you know: these DotLife patterns will NOT :o :( work in regular Life. So, don't go HURRAH !
by MadMan
July 4th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: LifeLine Magazine?
Replies: 29
Views: 25204

Re: LifeLine Magazine?

I have issues #3 on. NO, I am NOT getting rid of them. Their knowledge is primitive compared to what we have now.
They turned up in a closet along with towels and washcloths ! :? I would have never thought of looking for them there. When my mother was dying in the hospital, I started a thorough ...
by MadMan
July 3rd, 2009, 7:32 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: exactly how many diffrent rules are possible?
Replies: 9
Views: 9545

Re: exactly how many diffrent rules are possible?

OK, granted that there are a jillion different rules for cellular automata based on immediate neighborhoods alone, consider the 3-4 alternate life universe. I have never found any program to run this. It is just not popular enough.

In 3-4 Life, still-lifes are rare and only the Block (I call it the ...
by MadMan
June 28th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Oscillator Discussion
Replies: 3
Views: 235368

Oscillator Discussion

A discussion of oscillators would def. spruce things up here. :D .It's curiuous that 19 is the first period for which NO oscillator has yet been found. :o .That 19 is a prime number rules out any chance that a P 19 oscillator could be found by taking one or more with period(s) a factor of 19 and ...
by MadMan
June 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum: Website Discussion
Topic: Version 0.9.x
Replies: 1
Views: 4718

Re: Version 0.9.x

Nathanial, somebody by the codename of Lutcruito or something is trolling this website ! Porn has NOTHING to do with Conway's game of Life. Act !

I logged on by chance, when searching for a P6 Wick Oscillator I was ready to graph to my books. I found INappropiate forum topics when seeing if anybody ...
by MadMan
June 22nd, 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

I wish to thank you, for calling my attention to that P 6 Diagonal Spaceship that glide-reflects.

By the way, ANDREW, Kok's Galaxy is one of my favorite oscillators -tho it does NOT occur naturally. It has no stagnant inductors, braces, etc.,...

It also proved effective as a hassler or perturber ...
by MadMan
June 22nd, 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

.............
.o...........
.ooo.oo....
........oo..
..o.........
............

Mebbe you had probs reading the 0's and X's, so I used lower case...

It'll grow to 40 units tall, but by then it's decaying downwards and will become compact again.
by MadMan
June 22nd, 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

OK, PM 2Ring, here's the skinny on both...

(1) I use graph paper, to create a personal record of my discoveries. Whenever I discovered a wonderful pattern , back in last century, I would carefully re-input it and make certain of how it's going to grow before reaching its final fate (and to confirm ...
by MadMan
June 21st, 2009, 8:46 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

I am also quite amazed & astounded at the terrible Greyships researched by Holwart Hazmat, which are traveling agars !! :o I was able to graph the smallest one, but the others are 6-10 feet long and suggest cockroaches or centipedes in shape. The agar may be horizontal, vertical or chicken wire type ...
by MadMan
June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

For examples of patterns I posted -please refer to "Stable Life?", the forum next door. I am proud of my super-diehard and I feel I have a lead towards finding a P19 oscillator. I used an "applet" from a Life website and one of the editable work spaces of another.
I find the article on "IceNine ...
by MadMan
June 18th, 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

Yes, that's the huge shapeless diagonal spaceship I just graphed into what is now vol. 21 of my books, replacing an ungainly pattern that wasn't edifying but was space-wasting. That bled onto the other side of the page and I used chlorox to clean up the graph paper and to help fix the wonderful ...
by MadMan
June 18th, 2009, 9:46 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

I wonder why "Machi" includes a pic of the MONSTROUS spaceship mercifully cloaked under the name "Caterpillar" in his posts...
by MadMan
June 18th, 2009, 9:28 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

I think I found what you're talking about.

It was NOT called the Seal and the brief description did NOT say it glide reflects. That -and its large size- prevented me from considering it. Also, the patterns in this website have had mistakes: there was a P37 oscillator, the first known, BUT I could ...
by MadMan
June 17th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Stable Life?
Replies: 26
Views: 29433

Re: Stable Life?

At this point, iI'd like to state that gibberish like "003b00007b0003a000" is utterly untranslatable and useless to me, in examining a pattern. The patterns I inputted to date -and they are not many- are straightforward, none of the gibberish that Niemarc likes to use. I also carefully test a ...
by MadMan
June 17th, 2009, 10:15 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Stable Life?
Replies: 26
Views: 29433

Re: Stable Life?

Reading about unpredictability and such ,posted by you, I was reminded of the Line Puffers which tend to have enormous periods and VAST dirty output. Some seem to chug along for thousands, hundreds of thousands, even millions of gen., and then the exhaust rams into the engine and disruption ...
by MadMan
June 17th, 2009, 8:59 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
Replies: 38
Views: 32699

Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?

Only the glider and the familiar P4 spaceships seem to occur naturally in Life.
Recently a possible infinity of mega-gliders have been found (P4 diagonal spaceships with glider reflection each 2 gen.), all having 1 or more basic gliders towing (by induction) a shapeless mass behind them. In one at ...
by MadMan
June 14th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Stable Life?
Replies: 26
Views: 29433

Re: Stable Life?

Andrew posted Kok's Galaxy, a beautiful P8 oscillator. It doesn't have the static buffers that too many artificial oscillators use. Odd that out of the infinity of oscillators , only the Blinker, the Pulsar ( P3 ) the Beacon, the Toad and very occasionally the Clock ever occur naturally. The ...
by MadMan
June 14th, 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Stable Life?
Replies: 26
Views: 29433

Re: Stable Life?

OK, It is I, MadMan, a new chatty chatter. I've been looking for a home computer before they even invented them. Once they were invented, I did a lot of research in Life, and accumulated 51 volumes of 10 box/inch graph paper. I found many diehards (and super-diehards), long-term ancestors (and super ...