Search found 54 matches
- September 30th, 2026, 2:30 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
- Replies: 16
- Views: 5318
Re: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
A p19 found with the work-in-progress nbsearch2c.
This is the same object that was present in your previous file, column p19, row 7. I just carved a 7-cell hole inside and placed it in the stamp collection.
While I did double the object count in less than an hour, I think most of the stuff ...
- September 28th, 2026, 3:11 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
- Replies: 16
- Views: 5318
Re: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
Results
To be clear: periods, which have known non-trivial rotors, are represented below by the smallest (by minpop) object that I found, which oscillates at that period and has no unnecessary rotors.
x = 633, y = 211, rule = B3678/S135678
367bob2o3b2obo222bo$368b2obobob2o219bo3b7obo ...
To be clear: periods, which have known non-trivial rotors, are represented below by the smallest (by minpop) object that I found, which oscillates at that period and has no unnecessary rotors.
x = 633, y = 211, rule = B3678/S135678
367bob2o3b2obo222bo$368b2obobob2o219bo3b7obo ...
- September 21st, 2026, 12:59 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
- Replies: 16
- Views: 5318
Re: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
Several interesting oscillators I found with the Golly script nbsearch2 (or more specifically my version of it, nbsearch2b ).
Neat! Out of these 7:
1) p42 which was part of the original collection (dropped on the wiki),
2) a new object - first known non-trivial p96,
3) a new object - second ...
- September 19th, 2026, 4:23 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
- Replies: 9
- Views: 389
Re: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
After grinding 10 million soups via apgsearch, here are the results and the updated stamp collection. Obviously, not all oscillators are shown, but all periods are, excluding the p24 which is trivial. For a given period, I chose some of the most common examples and largest ones. p18 is my favorite ...
- September 18th, 2026, 12:52 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
- Replies: 9
- Views: 389
Re: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
Castles has B3, it can escape its bounding box:
Yes, but this is not what TheWayOfTheCon was talking about. Also, this is not a thread for Castles, you know...
Here's another cool oscillator in Kaomata:
x = 7, y = 8, rule = B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e
2b3o$b5o$7o$7o$3ob3o$3bo$2b3o$3bo!
and ...
- September 17th, 2026, 1:30 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
- Replies: 9
- Views: 389
Re: Kaomata (B2ci3-ay4-i5c/S23-a4ikt5-e)
Apgsearching in progress: https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b2ci3-ay4-i5cs23-a4ikt5-e
My rubbish PC is grinding around 550 soups/second, I'm sure someone can do this much faster and discover many more objects. Nevertheless, I already found many new still lifes and oscillators with long periods ...
My rubbish PC is grinding around 550 soups/second, I'm sure someone can do this much faster and discover many more objects. Nevertheless, I already found many new still lifes and oscillators with long periods ...
- September 1st, 2026, 1:22 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Methuselah metrics
- Replies: 7
- Views: 214
Re: Methuselah metrics
Why is the soup-search methuselah record frozen at 52513M? A source-level and statistical investigation
This is a cool analysis, but I'd like to point out that the mentioned record is held by 52513M in only one metric - its lifespan. Now, L might be considered the most important metric, but ...
- August 31st, 2026, 1:59 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: From an Iranian Carpet to a Cellular Automaton: Meet Toranj (ICM: Iranian Carpet Medallion)
- Replies: 27
- Views: 1373
Re: From an Iranian Carpet to a Cellular Automaton: Meet Toranj (ICM: Iranian Carpet Medallion)
This is probably what's causing the "spawner":
Ah yes, indeed. But that isn't really necessary for the "carpet" to form, as it works just as fine from the X pentomino, tub, T tetromino, or other small patterns. Here's a different sequence that seems to evolve much faster horizontally than ...
- August 30th, 2026, 2:21 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: From an Iranian Carpet to a Cellular Automaton: Meet Toranj (ICM: Iranian Carpet Medallion)
- Replies: 27
- Views: 1373
Re: From an Iranian Carpet to a Cellular Automaton: Meet Toranj (ICM: Iranian Carpet Medallion)
Rules posted by hotdogPi do indeed seem to match the evolution in the video, with the exception of the bottom-right corner, which in the video pulsates constantly. This shouldn't be possible if every pattern moves to top-left, so it must be a hardcoded "spawner" of sorts? Unless it's a diagonal ...
- August 27th, 2026, 1:40 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
- Replies: 16
- Views: 5318
Re: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
Well, I've been looking at some of those as well...
Adding B5e causes the "pentaselah" to evolve for much longer (44k+ gens) and grow much larger (1.5M cells). However, the resulting pattern doesn't actually break any record from normal Castles.
x = 4, y = 4, rule = B35e678/S135678
bo2$2obo$bo ...
Adding B5e causes the "pentaselah" to evolve for much longer (44k+ gens) and grow much larger (1.5M cells). However, the resulting pattern doesn't actually break any record from normal Castles.
x = 4, y = 4, rule = B35e678/S135678
bo2$2obo$bo ...
- August 23rd, 2026, 4:29 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Methulesahs with the biggest final populations
- Replies: 8
- Views: 14808
Re: Methulesahs with the biggest final populations
This was specifically disallowed by rule 3. It has a bounding box much larger than 13x13.g0t0 wrote: August 21st, 2026, 8:37 am What about this:
for >12, it is infinite.Code: Select all
x = 235, y = 189, rule = B3/S23 28$52bo$52b2o111$175bo$173bob2o$173bobo$173bo$171bo$169bobo!
- August 22nd, 2026, 6:10 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Methuselah metrics
- Replies: 7
- Views: 214
Re: Methuselah metrics
1) It does not grow infinitely, because the loaf fuse will eventually run out and then the resulting crash destroys both guns
2) if MCPS is limited, why is the Summers/Nivash logarithmic growth existing even relevant? you can't get unbounded L/MCPS with bounded MCPS even if you do have the Summers ...
- August 22nd, 2026, 4:43 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Methuselah metrics
- Replies: 7
- Views: 214
Re: Methuselah metrics
- If you think this is too much, a reduction to 256 cells also seems valid (although it does disqualify two large objects mentioned in the article).
This eliminates the Summers/Nivasch logarithmic growth, which has a much higher initial population. What is the highest L/MCPS you can think of ...
- August 22nd, 2026, 3:10 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Methuselah metrics
- Replies: 7
- Views: 214
Methuselah metrics
I'm afraid this is gonna be a long one... Some of my observations, thoughts and questions ( bolded ) about methuselah metrics. The post uses examples from CGoL, but I believe all of this rant applies to a much wider class of cellular automata.
A „methuselah” is not really a term that can be ...
A „methuselah” is not really a term that can be ...
- August 16th, 2026, 9:58 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Thread for your naming proposals of non-CGoL unnamed patterns and rules
- Replies: 12
- Views: 1587
Re: Thread for your naming proposals of non-CGoL unnamed patterns and rules
Rows 2-3: p2s
Heudin's name: none, and I do not know of any but it seems like it should have one.
Suggestion: Bender (to go with names like blinker and bleeper; the polyplet is called a banana but that also applies to sparks and p1s) .
Heudin's name: Barberpole (taken).
Suggestion: Bana wick ...
- August 16th, 2026, 9:41 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Very nearly exploding rules
- Replies: 254
- Views: 169250
Re: Very nearly exploding rules
It turns out that the pattern I posted last time can be done in 1 cell less. This doesn't improve L/MCPS, but it does improve F/I, which is now at 396781.7 (record high from what I found in Castles).
x = 9, y = 10, rule = B3678/S135678
2o6$5bo$6b2o$5bo$8bo!
Also, here's the record holder for ...
x = 9, y = 10, rule = B3678/S135678
2o6$5bo$6b2o$5bo$8bo!
Also, here's the record holder for ...
- August 2nd, 2026, 6:17 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Oscillators in Life-like cellular automata
- Replies: 46
- Views: 12706
Re: Oscillators in Life-like cellular automata
Weird oscillators in B357/S1358:
x = 31, y = 26, rule = B357/S1358
bo15bo$2ob2ob2o3b2ob2ob2o$bo15bo$2ob2ob2o3b2ob2ob2o$bo15bo6$bo27bo$2o
b2ob2ob2ob2o3b2ob2ob2ob2ob2o$bo27bo$2ob2ob2ob2ob2o3b2ob2ob2ob2ob2o$bo
27bo7$bo$2ob2ob2ob2ob2ob2o$bo$2ob2ob2ob2ob2ob2o$bo!
Interesting stuff! Let's ...
- July 24th, 2026, 4:14 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata
- Replies: 5393
- Views: 1333960
Re: Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata
In DryLife without Death and Plow world:
6x6/5x5 block becomes a spacefiller:
x = 6, y = 6, rule = B37/S012345678
6o$6o$6o$6o$6o$6o!
3x3~4x4,7x7~10x10,13x13~18x18 blocks turn into huge still lifes.
4 cells are enough to make a linearly growing spacefiller in both of them.
x = 4, y = 4 ...
- July 23rd, 2026, 2:42 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
- Replies: 16
- Views: 5318
Re: Discoveries in Castles (B3678/S135678)
Update on everything that was discovered so far.
Periods which have non-trivial oscillators are shown below. The list includes rotors of p47, p86 and p167 by hibiscus; p49 by LayzBoi; others found by myself. For every rotor, I tried to find the smallest stator possible.
x = 339, y = 206, rule ...
Periods which have non-trivial oscillators are shown below. The list includes rotors of p47, p86 and p167 by hibiscus; p49 by LayzBoi; others found by myself. For every rotor, I tried to find the smallest stator possible.
x = 339, y = 206, rule ...
- July 23rd, 2026, 1:41 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Very nearly exploding rules
- Replies: 254
- Views: 169250
Re: Very nearly exploding rules
Evolves from 8 cells to 2,777,500 and stabilizes. Takes 100803 gens. L/MCPS = 7750+
I believe this is about as "very nearly exploding" as outer-totalistic can get.
edit: more precise values.
I believe this is about as "very nearly exploding" as outer-totalistic can get.
Code: Select all
x = 9, y = 9, rule = B3678/S135678
2o6$5bo2bo$6b3o$5bo!
- July 20th, 2026, 3:17 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Thread for basic non-CGOL questions
- Replies: 1687
- Views: 480582
Re: Thread for basic non-CGOL questions
Is B45678/S2345 omniperiodic?
I don't think this question was ever answered. There was a reply in a separate thread, which showed some oscillators with prime periods, but I don't know what does that have to do with omniperiodicity. Right now I'm making a wiki page for Walled Cities and I ...
- July 7th, 2026, 3:33 pm
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata
- Replies: 5393
- Views: 1333960
Re: Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata
p86 in Castles I found on 4 July 2025 but never posted on the forums:
x = 6, y = 7, rule = B3678/S135678
b2o$o3b2o$b3o$b4o$2b3o$2o3bo$3b2o!
Very cool. I also saw your p167, p47 and p23 on discord, and all of these seem to be the first known examples of such periods in Castles.
Here's ...
- June 27th, 2026, 3:51 pm
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
- Replies: 1066
- Views: 577659
- September 23rd, 2019, 7:31 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Non-totalistic CA Growth Challenge
- Replies: 88
- Views: 32455
Re: Non-totalistic CA Growth Challenge
Pattern got cut off, but I see where are you going. This has enormous potential, but could you prove that it ever stabilizes? Because I run some tests on calcyman's "machine" and I think I found a flaw.
First, without switch engine breeder:
x = 369, y = 464, rule = B3/S23
150bo$151bob2obobo ...
First, without switch engine breeder:
x = 369, y = 464, rule = B3/S23
150bo$151bob2obobo ...
- September 22nd, 2019, 7:19 am
- Forum: Other Cellular Automata
- Topic: Non-totalistic CA Growth Challenge
- Replies: 88
- Views: 32455
Re: Non-totalistic CA Growth Challenge
As i wrote in first post,
I KNOW that calcyman's pattern has bigger FI than mine, but it is engineered, and mine is natural.FI score ~= 25 million, much bigger than anything mentioned above (except the engineered enormous calcyman's one).