xlife did this with its #I format, see Life man page
But as Dave says, it's not fun to write a parser to read or write such files.
The other approach is to use a Python or perl script to build the pattern, and compress the script, an approach I've used with some of my Ticker patterns.
Here's an ...
Search found 152 matches
- July 15th, 2010, 12:40 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: specialized compression
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2787
- July 10th, 2010, 2:36 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: General Musings: My Life Story
- Replies: 12
- Views: 8264
Re: General Musings: My Life Story
Ah, ok. That's pretty amazing. But I guess I've come to expect amazingness from you, calcyman.calcyman wrote:In response to your last comment, my O(sqrt(log(t))) pattern displays every possible bitmap image, given sufficient time.
- July 10th, 2010, 12:33 pm
- Forum: Scripts
- Topic: Golly scripts
- Replies: 355
- Views: 423776
Re: Golly scripts
Thanks for fixing that, Awesomeness.
I'm still using Golly 1.2 on this ancient machine. I need to do major "renovations" before I can run later versions. So there are a few differences in the way scripts behave on my system.
I don't know if this has been changed in later versions, but if you do a ...
I'm still using Golly 1.2 on this ancient machine. I need to do major "renovations" before I can run later versions. So there are a few differences in the way scripts behave on my system.
I don't know if this has been changed in later versions, but if you do a ...
- July 10th, 2010, 12:23 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: General Musings: My Life Story
- Replies: 12
- Views: 8264
Re: General Musings: My Life Story
I'm totally blown away by the new Gemini pattern, of course. :)
You gotta simulate it by hand! :D :D :D
Um, maybe not. That one'd take a small army! But on a related note, I think it'd be very cool to get a huge crowd to do a living Life display. I guess it'd be hard to get the numbers to display ...
You gotta simulate it by hand! :D :D :D
Um, maybe not. That one'd take a small army! But on a related note, I think it'd be very cool to get a huge crowd to do a living Life display. I guess it'd be hard to get the numbers to display ...
- July 8th, 2010, 12:42 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Golly Logo / about us ticker tape?
- Replies: 5
- Views: 4379
Re: Golly Logo / about us ticker tape?
I've uploaded a few Python scripts (in the Scripts forum) to produce patterns like this. And in the Patterns forum, I've posted pattern files that produce images of Marilyn Monroe and John Conway. They shouldn't be too hard to find.
The Golly ticker (and my earlier scripts) use p46 technology, but ...
The Golly ticker (and my earlier scripts) use p46 technology, but ...
- July 8th, 2010, 12:36 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: General Musings: My Life Story
- Replies: 12
- Views: 8264
Re: General Musings: My Life Story
I, too, started playing with Life in the early 70s. In those days, I used modeling clay on the bathroom floor tiles. When I got access to computers, I wrote a few simple programs using very naive algorithms, but it was faster than doing it by hand. :) But I still like doing it by hand from time to ...
- July 7th, 2010, 6:07 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Pseudorandom number generator
- Replies: 3
- Views: 3557
Re: Pseudorandom number generator
RANDGUN.LIF
Pseudorandom number generator with p46 logic
A glider stream is emitted representing a pseudorandom binary
sequence satisfying the recursion a[n] = a[n-1] XOR a[n-12].
(By spreading out the pattern, the 12 can be changed.) The
sequence has period 3255, so the gun has period 46*3255 ...
Pseudorandom number generator with p46 logic
A glider stream is emitted representing a pseudorandom binary
sequence satisfying the recursion a[n] = a[n-1] XOR a[n-12].
(By spreading out the pattern, the 12 can be changed.) The
sequence has period 3255, so the gun has period 46*3255 ...
- April 7th, 2010, 3:41 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Spaceship speed limits
- Replies: 33
- Views: 115651
Re: Spaceship speed limits
I spent some time last night playing with patterns like the ones Calcyman posted above, but with enough separation to allow the reactions to work properly. I now agree that the stargate's fast forward reaction (FFR) is an optical illusion.
At step 6, the FFR produces a LWSS displaced 11 cells to ...
At step 6, the FFR produces a LWSS displaced 11 cells to ...
- April 6th, 2010, 8:21 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Spaceship speed limits
- Replies: 33
- Views: 115651
Re: Spaceship speed limits
..... The stargate is a p60 device, and it accelerates any p60 LWSS stream you feed it, assuming the stream is in synch with the stargate. .....
Yes, this much can be found via Internet, and concretely, in the LifeWiki. However, I wonder if this description is truly worthy of the reference source ...
Yes, this much can be found via Internet, and concretely, in the LifeWiki. However, I wonder if this description is truly worthy of the reference source ...
- April 5th, 2010, 8:23 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Spaceship speed limits
- Replies: 33
- Views: 115651
Re: Spaceship speed limits
A recent example was the reasonable explanation in the LifeWiki that the stargate was an optical illusion, but that leads to the interesting question of whether the stargate needs a steady stream of space ships to generate the boost, or if it can be done on demand?
The stargate is a p60 device ...
The stargate is a p60 device ...
- April 3rd, 2010, 2:48 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
- Replies: 70
- Views: 118146
Re: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
Collatz sequence generator
I am absolutely stunned ! You've probably found more uses for that adder circuit than anyone else.
Thanks, calcyman! It's fun building these things, and actually I'm a little surprised that there aren't more patterns floating around that use that adder circuit.
From ...
I am absolutely stunned ! You've probably found more uses for that adder circuit than anyone else.
Thanks, calcyman! It's fun building these things, and actually I'm a little surprised that there aren't more patterns floating around that use that adder circuit.
From ...
- April 2nd, 2010, 2:33 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
- Replies: 70
- Views: 118146
Re: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
Collatz sequence generator
Here's my most ambitious arithmetic-oriented pattern to date.
This pattern calculates the Collatz sequence in binary, using p60 / p30
technology. Input and output is done using LWSS bits. The next number in
the Collatz sequence is generated after 7680 (= 128 * 60 ...
Here's my most ambitious arithmetic-oriented pattern to date.
This pattern calculates the Collatz sequence in binary, using p60 / p30
technology. Input and output is done using LWSS bits. The next number in
the Collatz sequence is generated after 7680 (= 128 * 60 ...
- April 2nd, 2010, 2:20 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
- Replies: 70
- Views: 118146
Re: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
After a break of several months, I've been building things again.
Here's a cute 6 glider wipeout reaction I stumbled across recently.

Here's a cute 6 glider wipeout reaction I stumbled across recently.
Re: Buckaroo!
Here's a tight double spiral which can easily be expanded. The Buckaroo sequence on each "arm" repeats every 270 pixels.
BuckarooSpiralA0.rle
x = 681, y = 691, rule = B3/S23
338bo$339bo$337b3o6$346bo$344bobo$345b2o5$353bo$354bo$352b3o3$339b2o$
339bo$326bo10bobo$325bobo9b2o22bo$318b2o4bob2o31bobo ...
BuckarooSpiralA0.rle
x = 681, y = 691, rule = B3/S23
338bo$339bo$337b3o6$346bo$344bobo$345b2o5$353bo$354bo$352b3o3$339b2o$
339bo$326bo10bobo$325bobo9b2o22bo$318b2o4bob2o31bobo ...
Buckaroo!
Here are some patterns using the humble Buckaroo that I've built over the last couple of weeks.
Firstly, here is a grid displaying all phases of the Buckaroo. It was created in Golly using this script .
BuckarooGridA.rle
x = 240, y = 198, rule = B3/S23 ...
Firstly, here is a grid displaying all phases of the Buckaroo. It was created in Golly using this script .
BuckarooGridA.rle
x = 240, y = 198, rule = B3/S23 ...
- April 2nd, 2010, 1:16 am
- Forum: Scripts
- Topic: Golly scripts
- Replies: 355
- Views: 423776
Re: Golly scripts
This script creates a numbered grid of multiple generations of the currently selected pattern. Each grid entry is numbered using the Snakial font. It was written to display all phases of an oscillator (or guns) in a single pattern.
PatGrid0.py
# Golly Python script
# Display a numbered grid of ...
PatGrid0.py
# Golly Python script
# Display a numbered grid of ...
- November 18th, 2009, 10:35 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Game of Life Hardware
- Replies: 1
- Views: 3096
Game of Life Hardware
A recent xkcd thread mentioned that there are modular circuit kits available for implementing the Game of Life which display the Life board on a grid of LEDs. These modules can be connected together to make a larger board. The supplied software initializes the board with a random pattern, but the ...
- November 3rd, 2009, 8:35 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Naming Conventions?
- Replies: 19
- Views: 12986
Re: Naming Conventions?
Are you suggesting that a toad (p2 oscillator) is a type of plant?! :lol:
It could be...
We already have a pulsar, quasar, star and Kok's galaxy. And they are all dwarfed by the Caterpillar. Indeed. But I'm talking about the possibility of a new naming system. As I said earlier, it may not be a ...
It could be...
We already have a pulsar, quasar, star and Kok's galaxy. And they are all dwarfed by the Caterpillar. Indeed. But I'm talking about the possibility of a new naming system. As I said earlier, it may not be a ...
- November 3rd, 2009, 7:42 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Simple growing spaceship
- Replies: 8
- Views: 8351
Re: Simple growing spaceship
Various interesting collisions between the c/6 ship and gliders, beehives, snakes, eaters & blocks.
x = 845, y = 501, rule = B3/S23
684bo$682bobo$683b2o$29bo159bo159bo159bo159bo159bo$28b3o157b3o157b3o
157b3o157b3o157b3o$28b2obo2b2o8bo143b2obo2b2o8bo143b2obo2b2o8bo143b2ob ...
x = 845, y = 501, rule = B3/S23
684bo$682bobo$683b2o$29bo159bo159bo159bo159bo159bo$28b3o157b3o157b3o
157b3o157b3o157b3o$28b2obo2b2o8bo143b2obo2b2o8bo143b2obo2b2o8bo143b2ob ...
- November 3rd, 2009, 7:38 am
- Forum: Scripts
- Topic: Golly scripts
- Replies: 355
- Views: 423776
Re: Golly scripts
Fill current selection with a random glider field. Density must be a random floating point number between 0 & 1. Separation & seed are integers >= 0
# Golly python script.
# Written by PM 2Ring, November 2009
''' Fill current selection with a random glider field '''
import golly
from glife ...
# Golly python script.
# Written by PM 2Ring, November 2009
''' Fill current selection with a random glider field '''
import golly
from glife ...
- November 2nd, 2009, 4:54 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Simple growing spaceship
- Replies: 8
- Views: 8351
Re: Simple growing spaceship
I'm going to try & bounce gliders off it. No luck. The front might look a bit like a pentadecathlon, but the corners don't and that's where gliders would bounce off. Oh well.
But I did discover that it doesn't like snakes. See what happens when a snake suddenly jumps into its path:
x = 35, y = 18 ...
But I did discover that it doesn't like snakes. See what happens when a snake suddenly jumps into its path:
x = 35, y = 18 ...
- November 2nd, 2009, 4:38 am
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Naming Conventions?
- Replies: 19
- Views: 12986
Re: Naming Conventions?
Much naming is uninspired: x is adjectived by long, longer, ... trans, cis, para, and other greek and latin terms. There have been suggestions to follow in Linaeus' or Mendeleev's footsteps; after all botanists, chemists, and others have extremely well developed naming systems.
Speaking of short ...
Speaking of short ...
- November 1st, 2009, 8:50 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
- Replies: 70
- Views: 118146
Re: Glider circuits: components and contraptions
A pair of p182 LWSS streams are periodically eaten by pairs of gliders that bounce between the streams.
x = 602, y = 328, rule = B3/S23
332bob2o$332b2obo3$319bo42bo52b2obo$319b3o38b3o52bob2o$322bo20b2o14bo$
305b2o14b2o11b2o6b2o15b2o7b2o$305b2o27b2o8bo23bo19bo42bo$353b3o10bobo
19b3o38b3o ...
x = 602, y = 328, rule = B3/S23
332bob2o$332b2obo3$319bo42bo52b2obo$319b3o38b3o52bob2o$322bo20b2o14bo$
305b2o14b2o11b2o6b2o15b2o7b2o$305b2o27b2o8bo23bo19bo42bo$353b3o10bobo
19b3o38b3o ...
- November 1st, 2009, 8:41 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
- Replies: 2372
- Views: 1711627
Re: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries
Tight salvo emerges from chaos:
x = 33, y = 29, rule = B3/S23
9b2o$9bobo$10b2o9$2o$2o7$4b2o$4b2o6$30b3o$31bo$29b3o!
I somehow missed that one yesterday, but now that I look at it, it seems vaguely familiar. I wonder if it can be tamed with a few still lifes to reduce the debris?
Three glider ...
x = 33, y = 29, rule = B3/S23
9b2o$9bobo$10b2o9$2o$2o7$4b2o$4b2o6$30b3o$31bo$29b3o!
I somehow missed that one yesterday, but now that I look at it, it seems vaguely familiar. I wonder if it can be tamed with a few still lifes to reduce the debris?
Three glider ...
Re: Marilyn
Responding to *****'s question...
a) People do not normally have heart attacks at 13 years of age.
b) What age did you think I was? 27?
c) I was shocked at how well the portrait was rendered.
Now back to the main topic...
d) Maybe you could use different colored gliders?
:D
I thought you were in ...
a) People do not normally have heart attacks at 13 years of age.
b) What age did you think I was? 27?
c) I was shocked at how well the portrait was rendered.
Now back to the main topic...
d) Maybe you could use different colored gliders?
:D
I thought you were in ...