Done! For methuselahs there's a lot of complicated history about what's notable or not, so the usual thing is to post your variation and see what people say about it, before making LifeWiki edits (and also to have a forums reference to link to, maybe).
Thank you!
Sure thing, I’ll follow your ...
Search found 20 matches
- August 9th, 2020, 5:25 pm
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
- Replies: 1066
- Views: 577255
- August 9th, 2020, 6:30 am
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: New Wiki Section - List of Diehards
- Replies: 5
- Views: 3915
Re: New Wiki Section - List of Diehards
And a glider hits a block makes a diehard.
So the glider can be as far as you want.
I do think L/I is important for diehards.(also small bounding boxes)
Absolutely, which is why I think it would need to be listed by initial bounding box. It's the same with long-lived methuselahs. You can have a ...
- August 9th, 2020, 5:08 am
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: New Wiki Section - List of Diehards
- Replies: 5
- Views: 3915
New Wiki Section - List of Diehards
Hi all,
I've been doing some research into diehard patterns. Is there a known list of diehards?
Could we start a new page or section in the Wiki to list notable diehards? I'm thinking a leaderboard/table style page, similar to https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_long-lived_methuselahs
By ...
I've been doing some research into diehard patterns. Is there a known list of diehards?
Could we start a new page or section in the Wiki to list notable diehards? I'm thinking a leaderboard/table style page, similar to https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_long-lived_methuselahs
By ...
- August 9th, 2020, 4:45 am
- Forum: LifeWiki Discussion
- Topic: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
- Replies: 1066
- Views: 577255
Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here
Hello,
I've bee kicking around the forums since 2014... though not very active. I've recently been looking for interesting methuselahs and soups, and I've found one that meets the Notability Guidelines (https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/LifeWiki:Notability#Pattern_notability_guideline). It's a ...
I've bee kicking around the forums since 2014... though not very active. I've recently been looking for interesting methuselahs and soups, and I've found one that meets the Notability Guidelines (https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/LifeWiki:Notability#Pattern_notability_guideline). It's a ...
- August 20th, 2017, 6:00 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
The list of long-lived methuselahs seems like a good place to add new record-breakers. I've set the trusted flag for your user account on the wiki.
Great, thank you!
Also added a comment on the list's Talk page in response to your question from three years ago (!):
I'd say this is one of ...
Great, thank you!
Also added a comment on the list's Talk page in response to your question from three years ago (!):
I'd say this is one of ...
- August 17th, 2017, 4:51 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
I found a 7x4 9-cell pattern that dies harder than the previous record (215 generations as found by MadMan). My one dies hard after 229 generations.
The pattern is 00070004148ca60 (for the http://www.co.nz/gameoflife). The RLE format is:
The pattern is 00070004148ca60 (for the http://www.co.nz/gameoflife). The RLE format is:
Code: Select all
x = 7, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
3bobo$bo3b2o$2bobo$2o!- August 13th, 2017, 8:21 pm
- Forum: General Discussion
- Topic: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
- Replies: 38
- Views: 32676
Re: Natural spaceships beyond the glider and *WSS's ?
I think he meant to indicate the relative position, but the variable-width font messed it up, making him add two dots for clarity. It would have been more easily done with the Code tags, by the way, like so:
[code]
............
.o..........
.ooo.oo.....
......oo....
..o ...
[code]
............
.o..........
.ooo.oo.....
......oo....
..o ...
- August 9th, 2017, 7:06 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
The longest running die-hard in a 7-by-3 bounding box is this (214 gens):
6bo$3o2b2o$3obobo!
The longest running die-hard in a bounding box area of 21 cells or less is this (234 gens):
bo2bo$5o$4bo$5o!
If you allow a slightly larger bounding box there is this 499 gens die-hard in an 8-by-4 box ...
6bo$3o2b2o$3obobo!
The longest running die-hard in a bounding box area of 21 cells or less is this (234 gens):
bo2bo$5o$4bo$5o!
If you allow a slightly larger bounding box there is this 499 gens die-hard in an 8-by-4 box ...
- August 9th, 2017, 8:56 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
Then what DO you use? You should really download Golly - It's available on mobile AND PC. Golly enables you to explore much more rules, and you can even make your own rules.
For more instructions see the Tutorials page.
Some years back, before I knew there was software available, I wrote my own ...
For more instructions see the Tutorials page.
Some years back, before I knew there was software available, I wrote my own ...
- August 9th, 2017, 8:49 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
Your pattern is the same as in wiki starting from generation 6.
Yep, essentially a collision between a box and the traffic lights. As you point out, they are equivalent from generation 6 onwards. My "improvement" is a smaller bounding box to begin with.
Technically 8 cells isn't considered die ...
Yep, essentially a collision between a box and the traffic lights. As you point out, they are equivalent from generation 6 onwards. My "improvement" is a smaller bounding box to begin with.
Technically 8 cells isn't considered die ...
- August 9th, 2017, 7:48 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
Just copy&paste from golly directly if you want
I don't have/use Golly. Anyways, I've worked out the RLE formats. My 7x3 7-cell 130-generation is:
#N Die Harder
#C Discovered by Edwin Hermann, 9 August 2017.
x = 7, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
6bo$bo2bobo$2o4bo!
And my 7x3 8-cell 138-generation is ...
I don't have/use Golly. Anyways, I've worked out the RLE formats. My 7x3 7-cell 130-generation is:
#N Die Harder
#C Discovered by Edwin Hermann, 9 August 2017.
x = 7, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
6bo$bo2bobo$2o4bo!
And my 7x3 8-cell 138-generation is ...
- August 9th, 2017, 7:37 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Re: Die harder
Oops I mis-calculated the number of generations on both. My 132 is actually 130 and my 140 is actually 138.
Nevertheless, even though my 130 equals the lifespan of Die Hard, my bounding box is smaller (7x3 vs 8x3).
I'm in the process of figuring out the RLE format... will post shortly!
Nevertheless, even though my 130 equals the lifespan of Die Hard, my bounding box is smaller (7x3 vs 8x3).
I'm in the process of figuring out the RLE format... will post shortly!
- August 9th, 2017, 6:52 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Die harder
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11611
Die harder
Die Harder
I have found a 7-cell pattern in a 7x3 bounding box which vanishes after 132 iterations.
This is better than the current Die Hard (http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Die_hard) which is 8x3 and vanishes after 130.
Die Harder lasts 2 iterations longer and has a smaller bounding box.
Die ...
I have found a 7-cell pattern in a 7x3 bounding box which vanishes after 132 iterations.
This is better than the current Die Hard (http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Die_hard) which is 8x3 and vanishes after 130.
Die Harder lasts 2 iterations longer and has a smaller bounding box.
Die ...
- August 7th, 2017, 5:38 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: 4-way symmetry
- Replies: 1
- Views: 3306
4-way symmetry
It's not particularly long-lived, but it produces a beautiful animation with 4-way symmetry (x-axis and y-axis).
The pattern ID is 000600050308e208 for http://www.co.nz/gameoflife/
The pattern ID is 000600050308e208 for http://www.co.nz/gameoflife/
- November 27th, 2014, 3:22 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: Alternative to 7468M
- Replies: 2
- Views: 3123
Alternative to 7468M
Hi,
I'd like to confirm an alternative to 7468M. After 5 generations it merges into the same pattern as the 5th generation of 7468M, but starts of considerably different.
It properties are the same as 7468M:
Bounding Box: 6x4
Initial Population: 8
Generations: 7468
I'm a newbie, and I have ...
I'd like to confirm an alternative to 7468M. After 5 generations it merges into the same pattern as the 5th generation of 7468M, but starts of considerably different.
It properties are the same as 7468M:
Bounding Box: 6x4
Initial Population: 8
Generations: 7468
I'm a newbie, and I have ...
- November 24th, 2014, 3:16 am
- Forum: Website Discussion
- Topic: List of long-lived methuselahs
- Replies: 1
- Views: 4607
List of long-lived methuselahs
This post refers to the List of long-lived methuselahs wiki page. I have also added similar comments into the "Talk" section of the page.
What is the purpose of this page? If it's to list any methuselahs that last a long time (however that is defined), then there are a whole heap that I can ...
What is the purpose of this page? If it's to list any methuselahs that last a long time (however that is defined), then there are a whole heap that I can ...
- November 22nd, 2014, 12:18 am
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: New 8200-generation Methuselah
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8380
Re: New 8200-generation Methuselah
Just want to mention that Gooly also supports pasting patterns into it which are in the same notation as yours, but with dead cells represented by '.' and live cells represented by any other visible character (usually 'o').
Actualy the 1s and 0s are not my notation - that was what I did to show ...
Actualy the 1s and 0s are not my notation - that was what I did to show ...
- November 21st, 2014, 6:07 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: New 8200-generation Methuselah
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8380
Re: New 8200-generation Methuselah
I can't say anything for sure (have no rights on editing wiki), but my guess would be something with bigger life span, or final population, from same and preferably smaller initial population/bounding box etc.
Say pattern with 8 cells and small bounding box (say 5x5), which lives more than 7500 ...
Say pattern with 8 cells and small bounding box (say 5x5), which lives more than 7500 ...
- November 21st, 2014, 5:15 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: New 8200-generation Methuselah
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8380
Re: New 8200-generation Methuselah
Thanks for responding!
I see what you mean - in theory someone could create gliders and blinkers that are arbitrarily far a apart and therefore they "live" for a very long time.
However, in doing so the bounding box would be so large that it would be unimpressive.
From the Wiki page of "List of long ...
I see what you mean - in theory someone could create gliders and blinkers that are arbitrarily far a apart and therefore they "live" for a very long time.
However, in doing so the bounding box would be so large that it would be unimpressive.
From the Wiki page of "List of long ...
- November 21st, 2014, 4:44 pm
- Forum: Patterns
- Topic: New 8200-generation Methuselah
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8380
New 8200-generation Methuselah
Hi all,
I'm new to these forums, and I'm also new to Conway's Game of Life (I have only been experimenting for less than 2 weeks).
Anyway, I have found a methuselah which I think is new. Its properties are:
Initial population: 19
Bounding box: 7x7
Generations: 8200
Final population: 775
The ...
I'm new to these forums, and I'm also new to Conway's Game of Life (I have only been experimenting for less than 2 weeks).
Anyway, I have found a methuselah which I think is new. Its properties are:
Initial population: 19
Bounding box: 7x7
Generations: 8200
Final population: 775
The ...